Yes/Progressive Thread
Oct 29, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 25
Magnification has some good songs, the one that stands out is Spirit of Survival, some elements in that song, oddly enough, remind me of Metallica. If I recall, most of the others have a soft, sentimental, even easy listening feel to them. I'll go back to see which others stand out as good songs imo.

I don't know how popular 80s albums like Big Generator and 90125 are, especially since they're not as good as the material from the early-mid 70s, but I do like both those albums. Especially Big Generator. Has that loud, hard, metallic edge to it.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Yep, I really like Three Of A Perfect Pair. But I really like Adrian Belew. I took guitar lessons from him. I grew up in Cincy and he lived/lives in N. Kentucky. I just really like listening to the sounds he gets from his guitar.

Ok, I guess I really like Red a lot more. Do you like that one?

ah, thats cool. I'm not a musician, so that kinda hampers my appreciation of some stuff I guess. I love Belew's bleeping-noises solo on Talking Head's Born Under Punches. waay out there.

I think Red is really cool too. well, Providence is a lot of nothing to sit through, but the other tracks are great. Dicipline is probably my favourite tho. also has none of those useless, formless tracks like Providence, Moonchild or Requiem.

Oct 30, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
ah, thats cool. I'm not a musician, so that kinda hampers my appreciation of some stuff I guess. I love Belew's bleeping-noises solo on Talking Head's Born Under Punches. waay out there.

I think Red is really cool too. well, Providence is a lot of nothing to sit through, but the other tracks are great. Dicipline is probably my favourite tho. also has none of those useless, formless tracks like Providence, Moonchild or Requiem.

Have you ever checked out Belew's solo work? It is pretty good stuff. Sort of like an alternative Beatles. He also has played a little with David Bowie. Belew had a great band of local Cincy musicians. They had a few albums out. There name was the Bears.

Ok. I would say that Discipline is the best of the 80s Crimson output. It is a lot better than Three of a ....

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by scottpaul_iu
Have you ever checked out Belew's solo work? It is pretty good stuff. Sort of like an alternative Beatles. He also has played a little with David Bowie. Belew had a great band of local Cincy musicians. They had a few albums out. There name was the Bears.

he played with Zappa, and Paul Simon too I believe. have yet to check his solo efforts, but am eye-ing Inner Revolutions.

I have some of Tony Levin and Bill Bruford's solo material tho. two of my favourite musicians, and really the driving force behind 80s KC.

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 25
as far as prog rock goes nowdays I like "porcupine tree" I'm not too fond of their current album but I do like some of their early 90's and latter stuff. I know I've mentioned this before but to find some truly interesting music try www.burningshed.com. The music is fairly cheap and I haven't really been disappointed with anything I have bought from them....

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 25
The Yes album was my first purchase and Chris Squire playing that bass is amazing.

I had to buy it as I'd just attended a Jethro Tull concert where "Yes" opened for Tull. I'd never heard Yes before and it was one of the most stunning things I'd ever heard. I thought Tull wouldn't even play. I couldn't imagine trying to follow Yes that night, they were that good.

That was so cool - going to see someone you know - Tull.... and then hearing someone new "Yes" that is so great and at that time (1971) unknown to me and being absolutely blown away!

Saw Yes, years later playing "Topographical Oceans", well, it wasn't the same. Give me Rick Wakeman anytime though. Now, if he'd been on The Yes Album....

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #22 of 25
Yes has been a favorite of mine since they began. I saw them in concert about ten times back in their heyday. They were superb musicians and certainly created some extremely unique, complex and exceptional music.
Their best efforts have already been mentioned here, and the earlier stuff is the strongest with certain exceptions. Fragile, and Close to the Edge are, IMO, their finest definitive statements. In certain places, Topographic Oceans is brilliant though it dosent quite sustain it overall.
Going for the One was the last serious record they made in anything resembling the original group.
There have been some outstanding solo albums by the original members, including Chris Squire's "Fish Out of Water" and Steve Howe's "Beginnings".

Oct 31, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #23 of 25
As for other bands of the era that fit the progressive rock category, again, most of them have been mentioned. King Crimsons first two albums, "In the Court of the Crimson King" and "In the Wake of Poseidon" are simply brilliant, timeless classics, and two of the greatest rock albums ever made in the opinion of many, including myself. I saw them perform Court of the Crimson King" live when I was abut twelve and managed to sneak out for the concert with a friend and his older brother, an amazing experience.
Again, this band has always been composed of superb musicians, Rober Fripp wouldnt allow anything else, though I personally feel that the cast assembled for the first two was never equalled in song and overall album quality.
Ian Anderson, who I had the privelege to meet once, a long time ago, and Jethro Tull has a legacy of wonderful and completely original music, starting from Aqualung, Through Thick As A Brick, and onto Songs From the Wood, and especially, Heavy Horses, amongst the later efforts.
Emerson Lake and Palmer take a great deal of abuse for having been gulity of bombastic excess these days, and did, back then amongst critics. Mostly it was undeserved, and connected to their final albums which were a bit embarassing compared to the early ones. Still, Tarkus, Pictures At An Exhibition, and Works were albums that contained some great music performed by absolutely incredible musicians. I saw Works live one one of the few concerts where they had a full orchestra with them and it was an unforgettable experience, even all these years later. I have a large photo, from that concert, of Keith Emerson staring fixedly at his extremely customized and elaborate moog synthesizer on my wall to this day that I took in my brief existence as a rock photographer whilst in college.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
as far as prog rock goes nowdays I like "porcupine tree" I'm not too fond of their current album but I do like some of their early 90's and latter stuff. I know I've mentioned this before but to find some truly interesting music try www.burningshed.com. The music is fairly cheap and I haven't really been disappointed with anything I have bought from them....

Thanks for the tip.

I just picked up Crimson's live album USA. Pretty good stuff. Also got their new EP Happy with what you have to be happy with. Can't wait for the new Crimson album in 2003.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
There have been some outstanding solo albums by the original members, including Chris Squire's "Fish Out of Water" and Steve Howe's "Beginnings".

Chris Squire's FOOW is one of all time favorite records. I enjoy almost all of Steve Howe's records as well. He really nails the jazz type guitar playing well. His playing almost always reminds me of a sunny island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back