Yes! Modified E4c fit great!
Aug 17, 2005 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gerG

Headphoneus Supremus
I have never been able to get a very good fit with Shure canal phones. It was very considerate of them to introduce a model that just begs to be modified. Quick removal of the nub on the tube base allows me to pivot the tube roughly 90 degrees, like so:

pivotmod2.jpg

The result is a much better fit to my personal ears. Solid deep engagement, with amazing isolation. Here is a reluctant photo of my own camera shy ear:

inear2.jpg

I can't wait to try them in the gym. I hope that metal doesn't rust.

Besides the better fit, re-aiming the tubes helped treble a bit. A series resistance helps it even more, and also resolves the weak bass on the ipod. The considerate people at Shure even included a variable resistor to assist in this adjustment. So far, I like!

gerG

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 21
So you wear them without a tip at the end? Is that uncomfortable at all? I couldn't stand that.

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 21
Heh, no, although I did try. I took the tip off for the photo. Normally the tube is rotated 90 degrees from the position in the photo. I removed the locking feature, and pivot the tube to align with my own ear canal.

gerG

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Heh, no, although I did try. I took the tip off for the photo. Normally the tube is rotated 90 degrees from the position in the photo. I removed the locking feature, and pivot the tube to align with my own ear canal.

gerG

Oh, that's a pretty good idea. I'll have to try that if I ever get a pair, which I want to do.

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 21
I'm sort of confused about what you did, and how that improved the fit. Did it allow you to insert it further in your ear, or just angle the driver casing backwards more?

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 21
gerG, what a great mod tip!! I had a finger nail clipper handy and I cut the little nub at the base of the pivoting tube than point the tube towards the wire. It was a simple operation that made a noticeable improvement on the sound and fit. Thanks again...

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Thanks gerG! I'm waiting for E4s to arrive and will give your idea a try.

Perhaps those foamies could be modded too. I saw these moldable earplugs that look like they would fit nicely around the tube ...
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.earplugsonline.com/features.html

With an NRR rating of 34, they’d be the ultimate in sound isolation. They’re like playdough (beeswax mixed with cotton batting) so a hole could be poked through them to fit over the tube.

Worth a try?

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 21
Wow, your ear canal's don't tend to turn in toward the center of your skull? Weird. Nice mod though, I probably never would have thought of that.. Does the IEM tilt sort of upward at the backside or what?

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 21
My ear canals tend to angle straight upward (looking toward my ear) and inward at about 45 degrees (looking toward my face). With the stock angle, I could not follow the angle of my ear canal without the wire connector hitting the tragus (that little triangle of cartilage that protects the ear opening). When I twisted the iem so that the wire went upward, I could get more engagement, but the tip ran into the side of my ear canal. This pivot-mod allows me to align the tube with my canal, AND aim the wire where it is the most comfortable and secure. As you can see, I can also get max immersion without gouging my ear canal.

fwiw, I used an x-acto knife to trim the alignment rib. It cleaves away very cleanly by just pressing the blade along the interface between the rib and the cylinder that it joins to. Take care not to scratch the flat surface at the back of the tube. It is a sealing surface that mates up to a rubber washer inside the body. Very slick design. I would also not advise twisting the tube around much when the threaded ring is tightened, since it will cause wear on the washer.

gerG

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 21
anearfull, I have tried different earplug materials on my Etys. The best so far are the tapered orange ones made by EAR. They have an outer skin that makes them less abrasive, more durable, and seal better. The problem is that they need the center tube to stay attached to the IEM. Drilling the earplugs is easy, but glueing in vinyl tubes is a bit of a pain. I guess I need to work on my process
wink.gif

gerG

Aug 17, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 21
gerG:
Those earplugs are a putty-like mixture of Beeswax, Cotton and Lanolin so there's no way to glue anything to them. I remember my grandmother used something similar and swore by them (my grandfather snored like a locomotive). I've ordered some and will use them on my motorcycle if they don't work out for the E4.

To insert the plugs you have to knead and warm them a bit first so they’ll conform to your ear. I'll try poking a hole through them when they're ready to insert and then molding it around the tube sticking out of the E4.

It might be a gooey mess or it might be the perfect seal.

Aug 17, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Hi gerG
Do they stay reasonably fixed when the pip in removed?
I considered this mod but assumed the tube would most likely move about
necessitating regular tweaking with the attendant risk of prematurely wearing the seal.
I also wonder how they would be with a strait tube Ety ER4 style.
I tend to prefer the fit of my ER4's.

Regarding the series resistance I have done some messing with this and
passive filtering [naturally I cant just enjoy something out of the box can I?
rolleyes.gif
]
but found them somewhat more tricky than the ER4 to tune
to my tastes.
The addition of series resistance seemed to rob them of a little warmth and added a bit of sibilance.
I have not plunged too deeply into messing with tuning them as yet, just
enjoying listening to them for what they do well.

Aug 18, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 21
setmenu, great to hear from you. No looseness or random rotation so far. If they move at all, I would expect them to center up in the canal. The biggest problem is taking tips off. Twisting a tip will cause the pivot to twist. My solution is to hook the base of the tip with a fingernail and apply gentle but continuous force. They come right off. I will have more data on stability after my next workout. Unfortunately my schedule is up in the air, so I don't know if I will make it to the gym tomorrow. Around the house they are more secure than even the Etys. I added a clip to the leads and clip to the back of my collar to eliminate cable tugging.

I agree on the Etys, great sound and fit for me. The problem is the leads reaching out and trying to snag on everything. I can't wear them over the ears because it pulls the tubes out of alignment (large lever-arm at work). I am still hopeful that Don is cooking something up in his spare time.

anearfull, I had forgotten about those old earplugs. Before we had the high quality foam plugs available today, they were the only alternative to the barbed rubber plugs. They work great, but getting them back out takes some skill. Please try them by themselves before trying to use them with canal phones.

gerG

Aug 18, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b
Hmm.. Does anyone know if this mod would work with super.fi 5pros? I think I recall seeing replacement tubes that screw in.. Maybe those would work?

I am not aware of the tubes being removable in the 5pro's. The cable is removable, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back