Yellowjackets
Jul 18, 2008 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
So this morning I went out to my garage (unattached) to get something from my car. On the way back to the apartment I began to lock the garage door from the outside and I got stung multiple times from yellowjackets that I guess have just started to build a nest right above the door under the awning that covers it.

To be honest, I'm a little weary (okay, really weary) about getting to my car while they're still there because not matter what I have to stand directly under their nest while I open the door that leads to the garage. I have to leave for work in three and a half hours. Any suggestions?

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 23
stand far back and shoot them with the hose...then make like a ninja and run in the house before they know who was on the h20 controls.

I find giggling like a little girl while running towards the house ad's comic relief and Calms down the pissed off bee's!! better yet if you have a dog let him take the fall for you, hey its mans best friend.

if the hose thing don't work then maybe try some poison..

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 23
Go bus, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Ask your neighbour to open the door. Tell him it's kind of stuck so you can't open it by yourself.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go bus, no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Ask your neighbour to open the door. Tell him it's kind of stuck so you can't open it by yourself.

No bus, I work way outside of Chicago. Maybe I'll tell one of the girls that lives upstairs to open the door.
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 23
get some of that spray foaming jellowjacket killer.. has a good 10 -15 ft range and kills them pretty good..

I've used it.. and i didnt get stung once, and I had to go up into my garage loft to find the nest.. what fun!

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 23
Get rid of it the Southern way: lots and lots of fire.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #8 of 23
bee spray, if it doesn't kill all of them, it'll keep them from staying around the nest, although they'll likely try to build another nest not to far away

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 23
Thought this thread was going to be about the jazz band from the title.

Well, you'd probably have to go to the car/store to get the spray, so that may not be an option. If you could make smoke somehow, that might push them back
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 23
If you have the option to wait until night, it will be much easier to deal with them then as they will be asleep. Assuming they are the same as the species we have here, anyway. Anyway, read this: How to Get Rid of a Wasp's Nest - wikiHow Apparently you can use gasoline or diesel instead of bug poison, or you can use spray adhesive to plug the hole. Burning it would probably give you the best feeling of revenge, but then you'd probably have to take it away from your garage first, which would result in many more stings.
Call in sick to work and have fun!

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 23
My family once had a huge wasp hive get built on one of our windows. It was actually quite fascinating since you could see the innerworkings of wasp society safely behind glass. It all happened quite randomly, and was very cool.

Then one morning, the wasp hive was gone. I'm not quite sure what happened to it, to tell you the truth. I was sad that my live nature documentary had disappeared, but glad that the frequency of wasps getting into my room diminished. My parents thought it was a raccoon that "got to it". I recommend you get a raccoon.

Sorry, I've probably been utterly useless to your cause
frown.gif

In lieu of a trained raccoon, I'd put on all my ski gear and make sure none of my skin were exposed. Then hose the suckers down! Or call the insect exterminators, if you've got the cash for it.

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Once, myself and my family were all taking a walk in the woods near my house. We were near the creek, which is at the bottom of a steep 100-ft deep valley. We were all enjoying ourselves, until my mom started complaining that her finger was hurting very badly. I looked over to see her holding her finger and instantly made a run for it up the hill. I knew that he had poked her walking stick into a nest of yellowjackets. As I ran up the hill, I could hear them panicking as the entire nest emptied and attacked them.

I ran back up to the house and got inside quick. I was the only one that did not get stung that day. Everyone else got stung at least 10-15 times.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #15 of 23
If the wasps are anything like what we have over here, they have certain times of year (like summer....go figure) where they are more active, and if it's cold most of them tend to die off until the next year. Course that doesn't really help you right now.

The foaming spray mentioned is probably the best way that doesn't involve possible arson charges down the road. LOL

As mentioned, most suggest you hit them at night or at least late twilight, since they're usually dormant then and not as crazy aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back