Yearly check. Any worthy upgrades to denon AH-D7000 for a reasonable price yet?
Sep 23, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 27
It has good bass and very good extension however I did not find it revolutionary like many claim. Quantity is not even that much if you run stock.
I don't think anyone claimed its revolutionary but compared to most other headphones its top tier bass for sure. The important part is, headphone is very easily modified to one's liking, whether by eq or physical modification. Attenuation ring, pads, cups, etc.. big modding scene. Admittedly changing cups is big hassle, but putting in dekoni rings/changing pads is easy and usually very noticeable change

I had good mileage with attenuation rings , if you didn't think bass was enough when stock, you owe it to yourself to try, website says its to provide more balanced sound but for me (at least with stock pad) it just pounds your skull with bass ,not really any fix to treble though. If that is not enough, then eq, still not enough -- sit on a subwoofer

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #17 of 27
I bought the TH900 3 times, they aren't worth the trouble anymore for me personally with the treble issues and I don't like to use EQ. I have found headphones that give me the bass response I am looking for. The TH900 has good extension and sub bass rumble but it doesn't have a great upper bass punch like an Ultrasone which I enjoy. My Ultrasone 750i has great upper bass punch and it cost less than $100. The 900 doesn't even punch like the 750i so it depends on the bass area you are looking for in emphasis.

If the TH900 were a less pricey H/P, I MAY see a spot for it but when it is $700-900 and has issues for me, I'm not so into that. When you get to $800, we are talking about something without issues for me.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 27
I bought the TH900 3 times, they aren't worth the trouble anymore for me personally with the treble issues and I don't like to use EQ. I have found headphones that give me the bass response I am looking for. The TH900 has good extension and sub bass rumble but it doesn't have a great upper bass punch like an Ultrasone which I enjoy. My Ultrasone 750i has great upper bass punch and it cost less than 100. The 900 doesn't even punch like the 750i so it depends on the bass area you are looking for in emphasis.

If the TH900 were a 250-350 dollar H/P, I MAY see a spot for it but when it is 700-900 and has issues for me, I'm not so into that. YMMV.
Okay I see what you mean, stock th900 sounds great but its very much acquired taste, not as agreeable as something like D9200. Modifications are certainly required to bring out the best of them, depending on what you are looking for, but in this regard it responds very well to said mods. It has a very capable driver, but perhaps the tuning leaves more to be desired

Sep 25, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #19 of 27
I don't know how I missed the boat on the e-mu teak. They look like an exact clone of the d7000 with removable cables and different wood cups. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 27
I don't know how I missed the boat on the e-mu teak. They look like an exact clone of the d7000 with removable cables and different wood cups. I'm seriously considering ordering a pair. Thanks for the suggestions.

It was not just EM-U releasing their own models that were based off of the Denon Dx000 and Fostex TH-xxx frame. Drop (previously known as Massdrop at the time, released their own Fostex TH-x00 and TR-x00 (this set had the Fostex TH-xxx mk2 detachable cable ends) line as well. However, many users found the EM-U line to have that “sweet spot” sound, with its bass and treble having the softest most satisfactory balance within its sound signature. If u can find them, then the Fostex TH-600 metal ear cups should fit onto the EM-U teak/ebony frame as well.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #21 of 27
It was not just EM-U releasing their own models that were based off of the Denon Dx000 and Fostex TH-xxx frame. Drop (previously known as Massdrop at the time, released their own Fostex TH-x00 and TR-x00 (this set had the Fostex TH-xxx mk2 detachable cable ends) line as well. However, many users found the EM-U line to have that “sweet spot” sound, with its bass and treble having the softest most satisfactory balance within its sound signature. If u can find them, then the Fostex TH-600 metal ear cups should fit onto the EM-U teak/ebony frame as well.
I personally find the wood harmonic resonances/timbre matter. I reviewed the TH600 long ago, and it was the biggest departure from the Denon sound. Didn't have that sound that wood brings, and was quuuuiiiiite bright. It's a good headphone, but coming off a D7000, it's not what I would have wanted/expect. It does look nice though.

Don't let people tell you otherwise, wood enclosures make a difference to sound.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 27
I personally find the wood harmonic resonances/timbre matter. I reviewed the TH600 long ago, and it was the biggest departure from the Denon sound. Didn't have that sound that wood brings, and was quuuuiiiiite bright. It's a good headphone, but coming off a D7000, it's not what I would have wanted/expect. It does look nice though.

Don't let people tell you otherwise, wood enclosures make a difference to sound.
Have either of you heard the Fostex Anniversary tuning TH900s? I've been doing a decent amount of research to actually find the upgrade to the EMu Teak that would be best fit and they are an option that I'm guessing would be the best all-rounder though I haven't tried them yet.

I haven't heard the Denon 7000 but if the EMu Teak is being recommended as a side-grade then I wonder if the Denon 5200 could also be thrown into the mix for the same reason?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 27
I ended up going a different direction. After reading lots of great things about them I ordered a set of he1000 v2. I know they won't hit as hard but apparently the bass is satisfying in a different way and they have other great qualities that I look forward to hearing. Can't wait!

Nov 7, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 27
I ended up going a different direction. After reading lots of great things about them I ordered a set of he1000 v2. I know they won't hit as hard but apparently the bass is satisfying in a different way and they have other great qualities that I look forward to hearing. Can't wait!
Let us know how you like them! I’m actually considering a similar move, instead of trying similar headphones as a replacement I’m moving toward different presentations. Definitely curious what your thoughts are on the HE1000v2s!

Nov 11, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #25 of 27
The He1000 v2 came in today and I just slapped them on. Only been listening for about 45 minutes but initial impression is that they're absolutely bananas. The may not slam super hard compared to th-900 if you listen back to back but I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Songs that are supposed to have bass sound nice and deep and thumpy and non bassy songs sound how they should. I can't really think of any better description for the sound except to simply call it correct. Not too much or too little of anything. Just really good sound. Clear and musical, easy to hear all the different parts separately but nothing weird or out of place. Only bummer was a bad balanced cable came with it. I'll get it traded in for a good one so I have a complete set but I'm ordering a 15 foot balanced apos flow cable so I can kick it in my favorite chair across the room. They still sound great with a regular 6.3mm plug but the balanced connection was a bit better for the few minutes it lasted. Love em' so far.

EDIT: I think the cable is fine. I had to unplug and re-plug the amp side connection a couple times. Never used the balanced out before and it was probably dirty pins or oxidation.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 27
My D7000 are in pristine mint condition. I dont use them often. But when i do i find the bass too heavy and thick for me. I realize that is because i dont use a well mated headphone amp or dac. I plug the D7000 either into my integrated amp or into my iphone or Laptop. The mids and highs are delicious. But the bass ruins the experience for me.

I want to sell it and get something that will sound good with anything. Kinda like my Shure se846 - great bass and tight and i can listen for hours with any source.

Would the Audeze LCD-CX do that?

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #27 of 27
If you don't want to have to worry about the source I would think maybe the focal bathys but I'm not sure how pounding the bass is. As for the ah-d7000 I found that they really got better when I upgraded to the a90 d90 stack and installed the elite hybrid pads from dekoni. I actually forgot how good they were at some point when I sold off my old sound card. It sat around for a while not being used and then something made me upgrade my DAC and my amp and it really helped a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back