Yearly check. Any worthy upgrades to denon AH-D7000 for a reasonable price yet?
Sep 12, 2022 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Brando

500+ Head-Fier
I love my ah-d7000 but they're pretty old and I know one of these days I'll put them on and they'll have gone to headphone heaven. Has anything come along that's equal or better in every way that isn't ridiculously expensive? I got them for $550 many years ago and know that I'll have to pay more than that, but how much more? I've been told th900 is the logical choice but they cost a fortune now and I heard the treble is kind of extreme. What else is out there these days that won't let me down? I already tried the ah-d9200 twice hoping the right source would elevate them because surely they must be better but no......no :frowning2: Not quite there. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 27
I love my ah-d7000 but they're pretty old and I know one of these days I'll put them on and they'll have gone to headphone heaven. Has anything come along that's equal or better in every way that isn't ridiculously expensive? I got them for $550 many years ago and know that I'll have to pay more than that, but how much more? I've been told th900 is the logical choice but they cost a fortune now and I heard the treble is kind of extreme. What else is out there these days that won't let me down? I already tried the ah-d9200 twice hoping the right source would elevate them because surely they must be better but no......no :frowning2: Not quite there. Thanks!
If you didn't like d9200, th900 would probably be your best option. Mk2 version is more expensive because of removable cable but mk1 versions I've seen go for for as low as around 600. Mk2s I've seen lowest maybe 800, so not too far from your budget range. I think you're looking at the limited edition versions (white, blue, green), those are still very expensive.

Also , if I may ask, what did you dislike about d9200?

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 27
If you didn't like d9200, th900 would probably be your best option. Mk2 version is more expensive because of removable cable but mk1 versions I've seen go for for as low as around 600. Mk2s I've seen lowest maybe 800, so not too far from your budget range. I think you're looking at the limited edition versions (white, blue, green), those are still very expensive.

Also , if I may ask, what did you dislike about d9200?
The ahd9200 is great in many ways but if I'm honest with myself they kind of sound like I have a cold and my ears are a bit clogged compared to the ah-d7000. Like they're a bit too tight sound wise and lack a bit of color. They have nice punch and detail but when I switch back to the d7000 it's like there was some setting turned off that was draining the sound of life. Not sure exactly how to explain.

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 27
I should mention that I don't have a strict budget but it would be nice to stay under 1500-2000 preferably under 1000 if possible. It depends on if it's really worth it. Is the treble really that crazy on the th900? It doesn't seem like something they would do if they where made by the same company as d7000.

Sep 14, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 27
The ahd9200 is great in many ways but if I'm honest with myself they kind of sound like I have a cold and my ears are a bit clogged compared to the ah-d7000. Like they're a bit too tight sound wise and lack a bit of color. They have nice punch and detail but when I switch back to the d7000 it's like there was some setting turned off that was draining the sound of life. Not sure exactly how to explain.
Hm yes I could see how you find it that way, the d9200s never let you forget that they are a closed-back headphone, they have a very intimate presentation. th900 in comparison is quite a bit more spacious, I never heard d7000 but I imagine they would be quite similar
I should mention that I don't have a strict budget but it would be nice to stay under 1500-2000 preferably under 1000 if possible. It depends on if it's really worth it. Is the treble really that crazy on the th900? It doesn't seem like something they would do if they where made by the same company as d7000.
At 2000 you get way more options for closed-back. Maybe try zmf verite closed, personally I never heard it but people say great things about it, from what I seen on reviews it is a very warm, natural sound, that could be what you're looking for although used pairs sell for close to your 2000 limit.

th900 treble is very bright, it could get fatiguing pretty quick, although I had good results with eq. For some tracks it works quite well, very energetic presentation and booming bass, honestly I found the trebles tolerable because the bass is so good, ymmv of course. If you can pick up a used pair for around 900 I'd certainly give it a try at least, you can always sell if you don't like for about the same.

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 27
I forgot about the verite thanks. I'm also now more curious about the th900. I think used is a good idea. Thanks 👍

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 27
I always thought the Massdrop TH-X00, TR-X00 (or whatever combination of X's it is now) was an improvement over the Denons. You needed to purchase the after-market Dekoni sheepskin pads to get rid of those ear-scalping concrete pads the Massdrop's came with. Once you did that, though, they were probably better than the D5000 or D7000. I still have my mahogany edition and it's tough to beat for a closed can and the wood is simply gorgeous. Later models were even made with removable cables, allowing one to wire them for balanced operation - even better.

If you want to go far enough, you can search around for the guy that makes them and he'll construct one for you custom - with your choice of wood and cables. He's Chan Ming Tat of Singapore. You used to get him with an email: enquiry@emu.com. The last I talked with him was back in 2016, but hopefully he's still around. :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 27
I always thought the Massdrop TH-X00, TR-X00 (or whatever combination of X's it is now) was an improvement over the Denons. You needed to purchase the after-market Dekoni sheepskin pads to get rid of those ear-scalping concrete pads the Massdrop's came with. Once you did that, though, they were probably better than the D5000 or D7000. I still have my mahogany edition and it's tough to beat for a closed can and the wood is simply gorgeous. Later models were even made with removable cables, allowing one to wire them for balanced operation - even better.

If you want to go far enough, you can search around for the guy that makes them and he'll construct one for you custom - with your choice of wood and cables. He's Chan Ming Tat of Singapore. You used to get him with an email: enquiry@emu.com. The last I talked with him was back in 2016, but hopefully he's still around. :)
Now that you mention it I sort of remember when those came out but I thought they were a lower end model for some reason. If they're the same thing or better that could be the perfect solution. Thanks for the great idea.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 27
Hi Brando,

As a fellow D7000 enthusiast, I would advise skipping the TH900. The TH900 has a lot of similarity, but improves and detracts in some ways. It has a very fantastic soundstage (one of the largest I've ever heard, especially on a closed back), but it's much brighter with really prominent treble, and recessed midrange. Its bass is quite possibly the best I've heard on any headphone ever in terms of prominence relative to its speed, but I still prefer the D7000 bass presentation a bit more.

If you REALLY want the closest thing to the D7000 today, there really is one option: The E-mu Teak

https://www.emu.com/teak.html

1663859410767.png

Having owned multiple D7000, and heard some Fostex TH-X00s, TH600 and TH900s, the Teak is as close as it gets.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 27
Hi Brando,

As a fellow D7000 enthusiast, I would advise skipping the TH900. The TH900 has a lot of similarity, but improves and detracts in some ways. It has a very fantastic soundstage (one of the largest I've ever heard, especially on a closed back), but it's much brighter with really prominent treble, and recessed midrange. Its bass is quite possibly the best I've heard on any headphone ever in terms of prominence relative to its speed, but I still prefer the D7000 bass presentation a bit more.

If you REALLY want the closest thing to the D7000 today, there really is one option: The E-mu Teak

https://www.emu.com/teak.html

1663859410767.png

Having owned multiple D7000, and heard some Fostex TH-X00s, TH600 and TH900s, the Teak is as close as it gets.

d7000 bass better than th900 ? must order immediately.

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 27
d7000 bass better than th900 ? must order immediately.
Nah. I said I LIKE it better. The TH900 is absolutely, undeniably better bass subjectively. The D7000 has more fullness, and subjectively may not sound as precise or clean, but I feel it's more harmonic. I don't think most will argue the TH900's bass is probably absolutely GOATED.

The D7000 had a specific rumble I can't find on anything else. The Teak scratches that itch.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 27
I too am in the camp where I couldn't love TH900 - treble spike was too much for me. They are enjoyable headphones minus the treble spike, but even so I don't think they are worth the high price either. Pretty cups but sorry that's not what I buy headphones for. The D7K was a nice and enjoyable, musical headphone. Lacking that harsh sharpness like the TH900 - I'd also consider it the better can for the most part.

Overall I've found myself never to be too much into the Denon/Fostex line. Just found stuff I like more for less money. Granted an HD-600 is open back, but I don't think the D7K or the TH900 outclasses the $200 HD-600. They seem to all be priced at a premium to their SQ because of their wooden cups IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Nah. I said I LIKE it better. The TH900 is absolutely, undeniably better bass subjectively. The D7000 has more fullness, and subjectively may not sound as precise or clean, but I feel it's more harmonic. I don't think most will argue the TH900's bass is probably absolutely GOATED.

The D7000 had a specific rumble I can't find on anything else. The Teak scratches that itch.
Hm I see what you mean. I felt a similar way with MDR-Z1R, where bass is larger in presentation. I will say, if you ever get the chance, maybe try attenuation rings on th900, I had excellent results from doing this. Didn't fix the trebles but the bass ..

I too am in the camp where I couldn't love TH900 - treble spike was too much for me. They are enjoyable headphones minus the treble spike, but even so I don't think they are worth the high price either. Pretty cups but sorry that's not what I buy headphones for. The D7K was a nice and enjoyable, musical headphone. Lacking that harsh sharpness like the TH900 - I'd also consider it the better can for the most part.

Overall I've found myself never to be too much into the Denon/Fostex line. Just found stuff I like more for less money. Granted an HD-600 is open back, but I don't think the D7K or the TH900 outclasses the $200 HD-600. They seem to all be priced at a premium to their SQ because of their wooden cups IMO.
Yes I also had problems with trebles, eq become necessary after a while. But imo worth for the bass. Other times I forget to eq, got used to the brightness .. then all other headphones sounded dark lol

I do agree with hd600. its reference standard for most people, vocals are amazing on it, but ofc bass is hilariously lacking in comparison to something like th900.

Sep 23, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #15 of 27
Yes I also had problems with trebles, eq become necessary after a while. But imo worth for the bass. Other times I forget to eq, got used to the brightness .. then all other headphones sounded dark lol

I do agree with hd600. its reference standard for most people, vocals are amazing on it, but ofc bass is hilariously lacking in comparison to something like th900.

It has good bass and very good extension however I did not find it revolutionary like many claim. Quantity is not even that much if you run stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back