Yeah I'm Pretty Angry
Aug 7, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #46 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time keeping up with the visuals. Could somebody please make a soundtrack for this thread? Thanks.

Take the riff from Iron Man written by Black Sabbath and hum it aloud. Now take every note and replace it with "wah".

Wah..wah..wah.wah.wah..........

OP: seriously, if this constitutes a huge problem for you, perhaps you need to get a grip on reality and take an economics class. Closeouts are not the same as screwing the consumer. You were late to the party, move on...

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #47 of 108
Uh oh not this all over again. You were very angry about price you paid for AD700 a few weeks (or months) ago. It's about HD580's price now?

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #48 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh oh not this all over again. You were very angry about price you paid for AD700 a few weeks (or months) ago. It's about HD580's price now?

Hahaha this is hilarious, it just keeps getting better. After spending all that money how can you afford any music to play on em?
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #49 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the moral is "don't feed the trolls". Mea culpa for contributing.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #51 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that maybe you could have helped the OP understand more if you made the example about headphones and not about concrete.

I think we've found a winner!

EDIT:
Thread Hijack - So who thinks the HD600 is the equivalent of an HD580?

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #52 of 108
This thread is like that accident on the freeway that you can't help but slow down and stare at.

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but if the HD580=HD600, then why do people modify their 580s to make them more 600-like?

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #53 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to throw fuel on the fire, but if the HD580=HD600, then why do people modify their 580s to make them more 600-like?

It's really just because of the style. Many people prefer the 600 metal grills to the 580 plastic ones. Some claim differences in sound, some say no change. I haven't tried grill change so I won't comment.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #54 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is like that accident on the freeway that you can't help but slow down and stare at.

Well, the HD600 started out as a special edition of the 580 (HD580 Jubilee) with metal grills. Some claim the metal grills help the sound out...I can't attest to it myself, but the HD600 grills do look more porous and might increase airflow, like the difference between Grado SR125 and SR225. Anyhow, a pair of HD580s and a pair of HD600 grills to upgrade with usually runs less than an HD600, and they're functionally the same. Unless you've got a faux-marble fetish.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #55 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thread Hijack - So who thinks the HD600 is the equivalent of an HD580?

Me. I own both. They're the same headphone to me.

The cynic in me believes that Sennheiser discontinued the HD580 because to continue to offer it at a reasonably lower price than the HD600 would eat into the HD595 sales (price points would overlap).

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #56 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me. I own both. They're the same headphone to me.

The cynic in me believes that Sennheiser discontinued the HD580 because to continue to offer it at a reasonably lower price than the HD600 would eat into the HD595 sales (price points would overlap).

Could they really offer it at a "reasonably lower" price that's still higher than the cost of a pair of HD600 grills? Really, a pair of grills and one becomes the other. I bet they never intended to keep the two models going at the same time...the 600s were intended to take up the role of the 580s.

EDIT: To whit: let's say the HD580 cost $f, a pair of HD600 grills $g, and an HD600 $s. Let's also assume that, given Senn's policy on selling parts, $g is pretty small. If $f + $g < $s, no one's going to buy the HD600s, because they can get the exact same phone for cheaper with HD580s and grills. If $f + $g >= $s, no one's going to buy HD580s, because you might as well buy an HD600, the prices are so close. Either way, one model loses completely...makes more sense to just discontinue one, rather than doom one to failure and unprofitability.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #57 of 108
Everybody keeps saying that the HD600 and the HD580 are the same phone,but I own both and they sound definitely different,but not very different.There's a gradation in brightness between the three Sennheiser brothers,and the HD580 are the brightest and leanest.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #58 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody keeps saying that the HD600 and the HD580 are the same phone,but I own both and they sound definitely different,but not a lot different.There's a gradation in brightness between the three Sennheiser brothers,and the HD580 are the brightest and leanest.

What grills are you using? Stock plastic, or HD600 metal?

They have the same drivers and functionally the same housing, and one started as a minor variation of the other...really, the grills are the only difference.

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #59 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody keeps saying that the HD600 and the HD580 are the same phone,but I own both and they sound definitely different.There's a gradation in brightness between the three Sennheiser brothers,and the HD580 are the brightest and leanest.

Are the pads on your 580 and 600 the same? One having ear pads that are more worn than the other could affect the sound in such a comparison.

If there is a sonic difference between the 580 and 600 it is beyond my ability to hear or care about the difference. If I have to concentrate and focus to a high degree and delude myself just to hear a difference between two headphones or two pieces of gear then to me the two are effectively the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back