YEA! HD650 came in today
Dec 13, 2004 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MaMMa

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my HD650s and damn they sound very very nice. I'm running it with my MisterX Subgilmore amp but now I'd like to invest in another one
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm having a really really hard time on 2 that I've narrowed down to. Both have awsome reviews and feedback from head-fi and I can't make a decision. Its down to flip a coin basically.

The PPX3 or the Gilmore Lite + PS
confused.gif

I'm kind of scard to get tube because that will just lead to more money and I'm a broke student.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 17
Congrats! And i've heard that Senns take a crapload of time to burn in, so don't look into new amps until your headphone is fully burned in!

BTW I believe the MisterX Subgilmore is the same amp as the Headamp Gilmore Lite - same amp, different builders. So I wouldn't recommend selling one to buy the other.

That said, I've read that amp is a good match for the HD650, so I'd wait until full burn in before determining for yourself that it isn't.

Finally, The PPX is a great Singlepower Tube Amp and I've had the pleasure of listening to it for the first time at the NYC meet. But it will definitely be apples and oranges compared to your solid state amp, so again I wouldn't jump into it just yet, best to let your ears work into your cans and vice versa.

Finally, what kind of source do you have? That might make a bigger diff than a new amp at this point.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 17
I've got an EMU-0404 with the rat shack convertors to Tributaries ICs. These cans had 2 previous owners to my understanding.

I didn't know MisterX's sub gilmore is like the lite. I should speak with him. Man he rocks! Thanks for the knowledge!

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO
Congrats with your new headphones. I am planning on getting those. Could you tell, where did you purchased from?. Thanks.
icon10.gif

I got it from a member on the forum
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 17
bah, imho you're set then! and those HD650s are probably burned in nicely if you are the 3rd owner. hmm, 0404 to gilmore "lite" type amp to the HD650...only thing left is to go for the ICs and the replacement cable lol!

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
bah, imho you're set then! and those HD650s are probably burned in nicely if you are the 3rd owner. hmm, 0404 to gilmore "lite" type amp to the HD650...only thing left is to go for the ICs and the replacement cable lol!

This is the greatest I've read all day. No more money to spend kinda. I'm hoping to get better cables later on down the road. For now I gotta thank MisterX for getting me into this world
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

The PPX3 or the Gilmore Lite + PS

Congrats! I got mine also last week and I'm very happy with them.
I have my eyes on these amplifiers MG head MKIII, PPX3 or PPX3-6SN7.
I really want to go the tubes route.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by judgmentday
Congrats! I got mine also last week and I'm very happy with them.
I have my eyes on these amplifiers MG head MKIII, PPX3 or PPX3-6SN7.
I really want to go the tubes route.

I do also but I'm so scared I'm going to spend too much. I've already lost my social life
cool.gif

Today is the greatest day. I love the sounds I'm getting WOW

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

I do also but I'm so scared I'm going to spend too much. I've already lost my social life

Yes, I know. It's very expensive to buy these things
icon10.gif

I hope to get the amp very soon. I already ordered another set of ICs. I'm going to need another source because my California Audio Labs Transport and DAC combo are in the living room and I want to listen to my headphones on my room. When I get the amp, I'll try the NAD 542 CDP or perhaps a philips SACD player. I'm glad that I have lots of options ahead. Good thing that I have a dealer who can lend me the gear for over a weekend before buying. This is a plus!

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 17
Damn, MisterX rocks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 17
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 17
The 650 is the model I'm aiming for as well, but I currently lack the monetary freedom to get em.

Aren't they just great?
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back