Yay! Internship in DC!
Mar 29, 2007 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

humanflyz

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got offered an internship in DC over the Summer with Project on Government Oversight (www.pogo.org). That was my first choice all along, because God knows that I don't want to intern for a Congressman and be answering constituent requests (more like constituent b****ing) all day and make copies. Instead, I get to have real substantive research work and contribute to the public interest.

So, for people in the DC area, anything fun to do over the summer there? (I'm 21 )

Mar 29, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I'm a law student in Washington right now. In the summer, Washington is . . . HOT. And humid.

DC can be pretty fun. There's nightlife in DuPont Circle, Georgetown, Adams Morgan and U Street. Live music at the Black Cat and the 9:30 Club. Jazz at HR-57.

I grew up in the NY area and I went to college in Philly. To be honest, I haven't been that impressed with Washington. I should qualify that, however, by saying that all the free museums and monuments make it easy and fun to get your federal tax dollar's worth. Overall, I'd say it's a fun place to spend a summer.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Lived in DC for 4 years, here's my thoughts:

Adams Morgan: The biggest bar and club scene in DC, a real pain in the ass to drive through on Fri/Sat nights, but lots of girls.

Dupont Circle: Good restaurants, some nice happy hour places, more laid back than Adams Morgan, not as many girls (it has a large gay and lesbian population).

Georgetown: Good restaurants, nightlife is a bit more frat-ish (best way I can describe it), decent girls, not really Metro accessible though.

Arlington: Some good happy hour spots and decent restaurants, definitely more yuppyish (crowdwise, not pricewise).

U Street: underrated, more of the cool-jazz-hip vibe, nice place to chill and just hang out.

Farragut North: Sucks.

Cleveland Park: Some decent restaurants and bars located along a strip. Recommend checking Ireland's 4 Fields for a good Irish pub.

For restaurants:

Dupont Circle
Georgetown
Bethesda
Arlington

For clubs/bars:

Adams Morgan
Dupont Circle
Georgetown
Arlington

For music/lounges:

U Street
Eastern Market (good jazz clubs)

Yeah, DC is pretty damn humid in the summer too.

In terms of people, the good thing about the city is that its pretty diverse (from an international standpoint).

In terms of socio-economic diversity, I was pretty shocked (coming from a New Englander's perspective). When Dave Chappelle said that statistically there isn't such a thing as a poor white DC native, he really wasn't kidding. Also, you can't go to a party without having some bring up politics. Happens every time. I swear. Finally, the first thing someone usually asks you is "what do you do?" -- just an interesting insight.

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrplow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you can't go to a party without having some bring up politics. Happens every time. I swear

Not a problem for me, as I consider myself a pretty political person. And thanks for all the good spots in town, I'll be sure to check them out during my stay. U Street sounds like my type of place to hang out.

Mar 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 12
People aren't exagerating when they say DC is humid in the summer.....it's hotter then HOTLANTA!!!!!
icon10.gif
I used to go up a lot on business trips, and a couple summers ago actually looked into moving up there. Walking from apartment to apartment in the humid heat was one workout: my clothes would be drenched in sweat after 20 minutes of being outside!!! Those that have lived there can say better what the club scene is like. I usually am only there on the weekdays (and lately have only been working when I'm there). But if you're a beer guy, you gotta get over to the District Chophouse (they have some great stouts that they brew: as well as some nice steaks). I got food poisoning at the Capitol City Brewing, so I don't go there anymore. Also if you like movies, check out E ST Cinema. They bring in nice arthouse movies.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got offered an internship in DC over the Summer with Project on Government Oversight (www.pogo.org). That was my first choice all along, because God knows that I don't want to intern for a Congressman and be answering constituent requests (more like constituent b****ing) all day and make copies. Instead, I get to have real substantive research work and contribute to the public interest.

So, for people in the DC area, anything fun to do over the summer there? (I'm 21 )

Congrats! Feel free to email me. I live in the city and would be happy to show you around.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 12
I like DC but people there take themselves VERY seriously. Near Chinatown a few weeks ago, some coworkers and I went into a popular bar/restaurant (on 9th) for happy hour. We were dressed down for the day and one woman (who didn't even work there!) stuck her nose up at us and asked us why we were in jeans as soon as we walked in! A small verbal argument ensued.

Everyone is always talking shop, which in DC is politics. I kind of like this, but it can get tedious.

Adams Morgan (Madam's Organ, Asylum, Common Share) and Dupont are great hangouts on the weekends but can get very dull through the week -- happy hours start late and end early, if at all.

Otherwise it's a great place to meet folks from all over the country. Hardly anyone is "from" DC, but after a while you realize it's just like a small town because everyone knows someone who knows someone.

--Chris (who is resettling to DC soon)

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 12
If you're a beer snob you need to go to the Brickskeller. Largest collection of Belgian Beer...a bit pricey, but oh so worth it. When my friends and I go we rack up a $400-600 bill on beer and appetizers...mostly beer. Did I mention good Belgian beer?

Drop me a line we'll go out sometime to the Brickskeller...I'm married so I don't go clubbing/barhopping so I'm not one to ask about that.

If you like movies the AFI silver theatre in Silver Spring is fun...recently my wife and I saw Jaws on the big screen. They're constatnly having theme weeks featuring an actor or director's films. There's the Landmark theatres for indie films too.

Museums and whatnot are great and the Folklife festival on the Mall toward the end of June is lots of fun.

You haven't seen Fourth of July fireworks until you've seen DC's. Go to the Key Bridge in Georgetown for a great view away from the Mall crowd.

Go to the library of Congress...it's wonderful.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, DC's weather in the summer is miserable, but the city's pretty fun. I went to college here and have lived here for the two years since I graduated.

You'll notice how many young people (college-aged through mid-twenties) there are in this city, especially in the summer. You should have a good time.

Everyone's thrown out some good general pointers. If you're looking for anything specific or out of the ordinary, let us know.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back