YARAAP
Sep 30, 2009 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AGTCooke

New Head-Fier
Here goes yet another recommend an amp post.

So, LOML got me a pair of DT-770-250's for my birthday (that's pronounced "keeper"), but now I'm afraid of being reported to CPS because my 18v CMOY is, of course, insufficient to feed them. I need help selecting a project. I've mostly been eyeballing Millet Max, but I see that Beezar.com is out of stock on the PCB.

Base requirements:
- Must be a "doable" project for an amateur. My CMOY was my first ever soldering iron wielding experience, and while LOML is studying EE (so she says) she has _zero_ interest in helping me (defective model).
- Something with a PCB available. Protoboard and p2p are decidedly unsexy.
- Must unequivocally DRIVE the DT-770s. I like my music clear, loud, and hard hitting.
- cost <= $200

Edit: I searched the forums for a similar topic, but only got this (which was recent). Consider it a good-faith crosspost highjack
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Nice price range:
- MiniMAX
- M3
- CKKIII
- CTH
My vote is for the miniMAX. PCB and custom case makes for very sexy. Good amount of customisation too, plenty of cap, transistor and tube options to help you get 'that' sound.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 7
highly recommend the CTH. made the most improvement with the DT770 while I had it.

The PCB is a bit densely populated so you will need to be sharp when stuffing it.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 7
Well, I'm about half way through my MiniMAX build.

So far, so good. The instructions on the web site are quite thorough (DIYForums.org). It almost feels like paint-by-number.

Also, there's an active build thread, where us noobs can seek guidance.

I think I spent about $260 between DigiKey, Mouser, and beezar, including the custom case and some of the "boutique" options.

Hopefully, in a week or so I can report how it sounds!

- Dave

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGTCooke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: I searched the forums for a similar topic, but only got this (which was recent). Consider it a good-faith crosspost highjack
wink.gif

Searched for YARAAP? And you didn't get any hits?
Append something more meaningful to the thread title so future groms don't meet the same fate.

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P2P can be quite sexy

Perhaps, but it's dependent on the operators ability to pull it off. Trust me, in my case it would be very unsexy.

Can anyone weigh in on the miniMax vs. CTH? I had never seen the CTH before and it does have its virtues, particularly as a first tube-amp. On the other hand, the miniMax maybe closer to instant gratification with the pre-fab case (case work takes time and patience, I'm in the red for both) and a cleaner, more refined end product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumbldw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... It almost feels like paint-by-number.

Also, there's an active build thread, where us noobs can seek guidance.

Two excellent noob to noob points. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Append something more meaningful to the thread title so future groms don't meet the same fate.

Thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back