Yaqin Tube Buffer
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #17 of 24
also nick20, how about just getting a DAC and using your current player as a transport? it is not ideal, but it works well for me and that way you can get the tube buffer also lol

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkle11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also nick20, how about just getting a DAC and using your current player as a transport? it is not ideal, but it works well for me and that way you can get the tube buffer also lol

So what your essentially saying is this:

cheap Sony CD/DVD player > DAC > tube buffer > tube amp > headphones

confused.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 24
yea that's what i'm using and i think there is a huge difference from just plugging in my dvd player directly to the amp, like sound comes from the speakers instead of just sitting in the speakers.. does that make sense? i'm sure there's a term for that but..

i can't answer about the tube buffer in the chain yet, one reason why i'm in the market for one is because last night i was playing around and did a macbook>beresford>little dot mk3>MF int amp chain and there was a huge improvement in sound especially on recordings that used to sound harsh and brittle, only then i have 2 volume knobs to fiddle with

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

yea that's what i'm using and i think there is a huge difference from just plugging in my dvd player directly to the amp, like sound comes from the speakers instead of just sitting in the speakers.. does that make sense? i'm sure there's a term for that but..

i can't answer about the tube buffer in the chain yet, one reason why i'm in the market for one is because last night i was playing around and did a macbook>beresford>little dot mk3>MF int amp chain and there was a huge improvement in sound especially on recordings that used to sound harsh and brittle, only then i have 2 volume knobs to fiddle with

I thought you were supposed to minimize the number of components in the chain? Not increase..

I'd rather just add this cheap buffer, which seems to work, for what little price it asks for.. my wallet sure wouldn't be happy for another component though..

I'm still a ways away from getting one of these, but I have it bookmarked, and can easily be bought, for a mere $120.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 24
well there are two different camps to that arguments, some publications say going the way of dedicated transport > dac> pre amp> dual monoblocks etc = the best sound ever that's adding a bunch of components in the chain isnt it? lol although their motives can be percieved as purely commercial but in any case, i just thought a cheap decent dac like a beresford would suit your needs and budget, obviously if i had the money i would just get a 2000 cd player and be done lol

yes i have it on bookmark too!! just waiting for someone to explain how the tapeloop connection thing works lol

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 24
i'm not sure if my reply got posted so,

well there are many different arguments to adding to a chain i guess, some people say dedicated transport> dac> pre amp > mono blocks X 2 etc is the way to go, and isn't that significantly adding to a chain? my suggestion for you is because i am also limited by budget and want to get the best i can with my money so yea
smily_headphones1.gif

bookmarked the buffer also, just wondering about the tape loop connection still hehe

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

i'm not sure if my reply got posted so,

well there are many different arguments to adding to a chain i guess, some people say dedicated transport> dac> pre amp > mono blocks X 2 etc is the way to go, and isn't that significantly adding to a chain? my suggestion for you is because i am also limited by budget and want to get the best i can with my money so yea
smily_headphones1.gif

bookmarked the buffer also, just wondering about the tape loop connection still hehe

I'm upgrading my CDP to a decent older AMC player with dual Burrbrown DAC's. For $75, I think it's my best option.

I get a decent (and better than current) DAC, plus a decent CDP.

I also don't have that much room, and depending on the size of the tube buffer, and new CDP (which is a monster, weighing like 20+ lbs) I may not have any left, however I know DAC's are small, it's the cabling/placement I'm worried about in my current "entertainment" center.

I just need to get a decent 4 shelve unit, but these cost a pretty penny as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back