Yao Monster Solar - good IEM at a great price right now. (Limited time sale in Canada, not sure about US sources)
Nov 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dweaver

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked up a pair of these from Visions Electronics in Canada for $48 (Sale until Sunday) and see them for sale on Monster's website for $49 and at that price they are a steal in my opinion.

I have seen comments that they look like the Tributes and that was my initial thought as well. Unfortunately I have not heard the Tributes to make a direct comparison. But I have heard enough good IEM's to know when I am listening to something worth while and these are definitely worth while, especially at their sale price.

They are a bit microphonic using the stock tips but better if you try other tips at your disposal. Other than the microphonics I think they are built very well and they seem very comfortable in ear, but they are only meant to be warn down and not over ear do to a slight angling of the nozzle which helps with comfort but makes them not as adaptable plus a long stem.

Sound wise they offer a very rich midrange oriented sound with decent mid-bass and very nice treble response. The sub-bass is OK but not as punchy as my XBA3. Detail wise they are actually very good and they have a nice sound stage. If anyone has seen my review of the N-Ergy IEM from Monster I would say these are similar but not the same as that headphone. They have more bass and are a warmer sounding headphone. If you tried the N-ergy and found them to bright sounding you may be appreciate the Solar more.

They will likely not be as sought after as the XBA3 was, but listening to both IEM's side by side I actually think they are an excellent alternative especially if a person likes the sound of a dynamic driver for bass versus a BA driver. They are not quite as articulate in the mids and treble but they are not muddy or anything bad, just not quite as detailed. The lack of detail is very easy to forget though as I found myself enjoying them as I AB tested between them and the XBA3. In fact at lower volumes I think they are bit more dynamic sounding conveying more emotion and conveying changes in sound. I think they may be a better alternative to the XBA2 that has been on sale at Future Shop this weekend as I think they provide a more complete sound.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I can't believe these have not been tried by anyone. The sound of these is extremely good for the price. I am enjoying them about the same as my XBA3's. The sound is clean and full from bass through to the treble. At $50 they are a steal and their current street price of $80 they are still a darn good IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back