Yamaha trying to get back into Hi-Fi
Apr 10, 2008 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
I was foruntate enough to have a quick listen to this setup... unfortunately it was at a "bose" re-seller which happened to have this beauty hooked up to a set of 901s
tongue.gif

have a check

Home Entertainment: Yamaha Aims High With CD-S2000 CD Player and A-S2000 Amplifier

A-S2000 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

CD-S2000 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

as far as I could tell, they powered very well, but the speakers were sevearly limited its potential

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 12
Nice! Yamaha used to make some really great hifi components back in the day. For whatever reason they got themselves out of the hifi business sometimes ago. It's nice to see that they are getting serious about audio again.

Where did you hear these 2 pieces? In the U.S.? I don't see those 2 models listed on the U.S. Yamaha webpage.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 12
Interesting. So they are already in Canada. Here's to hoping that these 2 pieces make it across the border sometime soon!

Yamaha made some terrific amplifiers in the 80's and 90's. I used to have a couple of those old amps. Man, they had enough power to power EVERYTHING.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was foruntate enough to have a quick listen to this setup... unfortunately it was at a "bose" re-seller which happened to have this beauty hooked up to a set of 901s
tongue.gif

have a check

Home Entertainment: Yamaha Aims High With CD-S2000 CD Player and A-S2000 Amplifier

A-S2000 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

CD-S2000 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

as far as I could tell, they powered very well, but the speakers were sevearly limited its potential

Actually Bose 901 are quite nice if set up correctly.

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Bose 901 are quite nice if set up correctly.

I agree, but to many out of ignorance, being snob, following the crowd hate anything made by Bose. Yes, Bose is overpriced but so are most things in audio.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Bose 901 was actually quite a revolutionary speaker back in its day.

Stereophile: Bose 901 loudspeaker

At least with Bose, when you spend $2000, you get some pretty looking cubes and a pretty looking bass module, which can pump out real sound. As opposed to spending $2000 on a boutique powercord that just sits there like a dead horse and can't even make out a single note even if your cat tore it to shreds.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 12
I still lust badly for a Yamaha B1. I once heard one of those driving a pair of B&W 801s and I've desperately wanted that combo for myself for eons.

A guy can dream...

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #11 of 12
My father used to have Yamaha separates to go with his B&W 802 when we lived in Tokyo, circa 1985. Yamaha is a company that makes musical instruments and has a company orchestra, they know a thing or two about sound, but they don't go after audiophile snake oil. FWIW, Stereophile favorably reviewed their $5000 MX-D1 class D power amp in 2005.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but to many out of ignorance, being snob, following the crowd hate anything made by Bose. Yes, Bose is overpriced but so are most things in audio.
rolleyes.gif

Wow....that's about to become my sig....

So very true and elegantly put.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back