Yamaha RXV1050 Amp
Oct 23, 2006 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bobo_1314

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm a complete noob with music, headphones, and amplifiers, so please bear with me.

My dad just gave me a very old Yamaha RXV1050 amp; it's in practically-new condition, and I know that it's a pretty good work listening to music and stuff. However, is the amp strong enough to drive high-end headphones such as the Sony MDR-SA5000, Grado RS-1, or Sennheiser HD650 (I'm planning to get a set of high end headphones, and those are on my wish list ATM
tongue.gif
)? Currently I'm using a set of Technics DH1200 with my iPod Nano, and they don't sound as good as when I was trying the headphones at the radio shop, in which the phones were connected to an amp. So my questions are, 1) is the Yamaha amp powerful enough to drive headphones, and 2) will my current Technics headphones sound better than hooking up directly to an iPod Nano? Thank you for your time!!

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 7
I've found out that the phones output on my Yamaha amp is about 150mV/100ohms. My Technics headphones have an impedance of 50ohms, with a 3500mV handling capacity. With the amp drive the headphones better than the iPod Nano, hence better sound? Will my amp be able to drive Grado RS1 as well?

Oct 27, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo_1314
I've found out that the phones output on my Yamaha amp is about 150mV/100ohms. My Technics headphones have an impedance of 50ohms, with a 3500mV handling capacity. With the amp drive the headphones better than the iPod Nano, hence better sound? Will my amp be able to drive Grado RS1 as well?

Grado headphones are easy to drive. No problem there..

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Grado headphones are easy to drive. No problem there..

How about Sony SA5000? I'm planning to get that if I can get a good deal from my uncle, who owns a radio shop.......

Oct 27, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo_1314
How about Sony SA5000? I'm planning to get that if I can get a good deal from my uncle, who owns a radio shop.......

I own a pair.. Their OHM is 70, & I can drive them well with my VHP-1 amp..Although I heard ppl say they are hard to drive..Let your ears decide..

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 7
SA5000s aren't hard to drive. They become a bit clearer, sharper, and more resolving with a nice powerful amp, but not everyone will consider that a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back