Yamaha HS50M Studio Monitors
Sep 10, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #2 of 8
I auditioned their bigger brother, the HS80M, along with a handful of other monitors at Guitar Center. Like most Yamaha speakers, they were a little bright in the lower treble with light bass response; not super-extended in either direction. But they still sounded "balanced" in their own way, sort of like a more refined NS10. I'm not a fan of the Yamaha sound because it doesn't sound accurate to me, but your mileage may vary.

If you expect decent bass response with the HS50M, you'll almost definitely need a subwoofer.

Here are the monitors I auditioned, in no particular order:

KRK RP-6
Event ASP8 (Studio Precision 8)
Yamaha HS80M
Dynaudio BM5A
Mackie HR-824 mk2

I auditioned all of them twice, and even though the auditions were short, I think I gained a general feel for their sound signatures.

Sep 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 8
They weren't spaced very far apart, but the brighter sound helped with imaging. Soundstage was good, but only average for a $399 monitor. So, overall, not bad.

I didn't listen to the HSM80s for long compared with my times on the other monitors, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Ive just bought one of these (Didn't have enough cash for a pair). Can't wait to receive them. Ive heard that they are very neutral, just what I want. Surely reference speakers are the way to go. Lets make the musicians work hard on getting it right!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 8
I am interesting too about HS50M, I dont want buy subwofer, do you think if will be fine portable amp iBasso usb-DAC? And Tapco S5 are good for the price too what I read.

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I auditioned their bigger brother, the HS80M, along with a handful of other monitors at Guitar Center. Like most Yamaha speakers, they were a little bright in the lower treble with light bass response; not super-extended in either direction. But they still sounded "balanced" in their own way, sort of like a more refined NS10. I'm not a fan of the Yamaha sound because it doesn't sound accurate to me, but your mileage may vary.

If you expect decent bass response with the HS50M, you'll almost definitely need a subwoofer.

Here are the monitors I auditioned, in no particular order:

KRK RP-6
Event ASP8 (Studio Precision 8)
Yamaha HS80M
Dynaudio BM5A
Mackie HR-824 mk2

I auditioned all of them twice, and even though the auditions were short, I think I gained a general feel for their sound signatures.

this was generally my experience. i would say they have too little bass for most rock, rap, electronica, etc. type listening habits. the audioengine speakers which i returned had a much stronger bass response but then again those are not intended to be a studio monitor.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy Yamaha HS50M 5' Powered Studio Monitor online at Musician's Friend

Retail Pair : $400

Does anybody have any first hand experience with these? Since i have a CentralStation, they would be a good hardware match. But how good are they compared to other audiophile-favored speakers in that price range.

I cant get an AKG K1000; so ive shifted my concerns to speakers.

I loved the 80s, liked the 50s. Extremely clean and fast, but could do with a tube amp or something warm to make the midrange and bass sound better. I would have gotten them if they werent so damn expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back