Jan 29, 2018 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

denniskuz

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, here's the setup before I get started:

Hooked up to my PC:
Yamaha HS5 (x2) (2 XLR's to 1 3.5mm)
Yamaha YST-FSW100 (RCA to 3.5mm)
ASUS Xonar DX Sound Card

So I have this setup and I'm having issues. Turns out connecting XLR to a mini jack creates noise as I've just learned the mini jack isn't balanced. So when I move around windows on my PC, or the mouse, i.e. if there's any graphical intensity there will be a buzzing which I believe is created as the ground gets a voltage rather than being the necessary 0V.

So it seems like there are two ways around this? Somehow ground my PC's components but I hear that's near impossible as current leaks in a variety of places from USB sources etc. Or get an external sound card or DAC+AMP? Or anything else? The buzzing is extremely annoying and this isn't my forte, I would really appreciate some help, just explaining what's going on and what I can do to get around it.

Edit** Just found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Ground-Isolator-Filter-Stereo/dp/B00INV5LB6

Is this something that would work? If the fix can be this easy and simple that would be ideal as i'd rather not spend much money if possible.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 2
What you linked to is a ground loop isolator. In my experience, ground loop noise is constant and very loud. It doesn't seem like that's what you're dealing with, so that may not help.

I'd just get a DAC, preamp, and whatever cables you need from Monoprice.

At the moment I use the ($30) Behringer UCA202 audio interface, ($49) Schiit SYS passive preamp, Monoprice 2869 2 RCA to 2 RCA cable, and Monoprice 4777 XLR to RCA cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back