Yamaha HPH-MT8 studio monitor headphones
May 26, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #136 of 207
I had the MT220 (sold it after buying the T70), still own the EPH-100 and Pro500 and like them very much.

For people who would like to try the MT8/ MT220 for sub $200 close back, I would recommend them to go for the GMP 8.35d instead. The 8.35d has less bass distortion, flater FR, more realistic tonality (best under $200 close back headphones for acoustics and classicals IMO), less honky when playing loud, plus indestructable construction. The only negatives of the 8.35d comparing to MT8/MT220 are hard pads (which I fixed by using T5p Gen2 pleather pads), and slightly shallower soundstage depth.

Get the 8.35d from the next massdrop run, get a pair of T5p Gen2 pleather pads and the total cost would still be around $200.

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #137 of 207
Most folks are looking at the flagship model, MT8 in this case, when later it turns out that little brother is actually better. It seems that nobody is talking about MT5, except one guy on youtube and one amazon review, both are very favourable, btw..

I just happened to look in here, and noticed you had seen my Amazon review of the MT5's - must be my reivew as it's currently the only one! So thought I'd jump in here, my first post in fact.
I've since updated that review as I've purchased two more headphones - so added them to the comparison.

Currently on my desk,

Yamaha HPH-MT5
Yamaha HPH-MT8
Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm
Audio Technica ATH-A990Z

(also tried & returned Philips Fidelio X2HR and AKG K550 MkIII, due not to a fault but to inadequate sound quality for my purposes).

Ok so mainly in addition to the MT5's I now have the MT8's. They do share some sonic qualities (I can hear how the engineers have tried to tune them together), but to be brief the overall signature of the MT5's sound like my Neumann K120 monitor speakers, though the K120's win on separation and detail (they are maybe the best near-field there are!). The MT8's are much brighter (and have less mid-bass, though more, rarely heard, sub-bass), I would not use them for EQ mastering due to the 'Grado like' highs, but are brilliant for analytical inspection, i..e of hiss in the transition between mixed layers.

Anyway if you wish to know more about my thoughts on any of the above headphones let me know. My benchmark in the studio are Neumann K120's (& my listening benchmark are Tannoy 15" Dual-Concentric Golds, from the 1970's).

Both the MT5's and MT8's are great closed-back studio headphones, each has it's preferred uses for me, glad to have both. If I had to choose one, above all of the headphones I've tried recently, it would be the MT5.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #138 of 207
I recently picked up a pair of MT8's for a good price on ebay, purely for travel purposes. I've just used them for the best part of 24 hours flying and I have to say I'm very impressed. Listening to live recordings with which I am very familiar, the frequency response from top to bottom is very balanced and not wanting anywhere. Soundstage is good especially for closed cans and imaging is very accurate, allowing me to pick up performers in the correct location. One of my better purchases!

Nov 2, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #139 of 207
I recently picked up a pair of MT8's for a good price on ebay, purely for travel purposes. I've just used them for the best part of 24 hours flying and I have to say I'm very impressed. Listening to live recordings with which I am very familiar, the frequency response from top to bottom is very balanced and not wanting anywhere. Soundstage is good especially for closed cans and imaging is very accurate, allowing me to pick up performers in the correct location. One of my better purchases!

...for live recordings I'd certainly choose the MT5's. They are like the MT8's with the bass turned up 1 notch and the treble down 1 notch.

The MT8's can get too brash - especially for live recordings, ok for very well-mastered recordings with tamed highs though - but I still wouldn't consider them a listening headphone, mine are for special inspectional studio-use only.

Nov 4, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #140 of 207
The MT5 are absolutely fantastic headphones for the price. Unlike others in its pricerange it doesnt suffer from recessed mids. Overall the signature is pretty neutral with a bump in the bass and slighty pronounced upper mids. The bass never gets in the way of the mids and is alot of fun. The mids are very clear with good transparency and nice vocal projection. Im always surprised by the awesome bass response and the clear mids. When the vocals kick in i would expect them to be recessed and overshadowed by the bass but that doesnt happen. They are very clear and transparent. The treble is also very good. Transients are fast and snappy, the ammount of treble is very nicely engineered. Not too much, neither too warm.
I have only the DT880 to compare it to and i prefer the Yamahas. Yes the DT880 has more Detail and a airy soundstage but the MT5 is alot more involving and lively. Going from the MT5 to the DT880 the Beyer sounds recessed in the bass and mids and overall a little flat. The MT5 are the most fun headphones i had since the ATH-L3000 years ago.

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #141 of 207
I'm looking to pick up a pair of MT8s right now, but from what i'v seen the reviews on them are kind of mixed, some don't like them, most love them, can someone give me an unbiased analysis on the sound signature, and a 1.2 meter cable that works with it and is available? Since, I go almost everywhere with headphones and long cables don't suit that. FYI, i'm looking for a pair of headphones with the most accurate sound signature possible.

Dec 10, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #142 of 207
I'm looking to pick up a pair of MT8s right now, but from what i'v seen the reviews on them are kind of mixed, some don't like them, most love them, can someone give me an unbiased analysis on the sound signature, and a 1.2 meter cable that works with it and is available? Since, I go almost everywhere with headphones and long cables don't suit that. FYI, i'm looking for a pair of headphones with the most accurate sound signature possible.

I believe my views to be unbiased. My 'control' are my Neumann KH120 monitor speakers, the flattest, most detailed and rich, 2-way monitors available. I own many headphones (and have tried many others). My recommendation are the MT5's, I have the MT8's but rarely use them as they under-represent bass and over-represent treble - on the whole the MT8's are too harsh and I would not say accurate, though for analytical inspection when mixing they are great, but no good for mastering (or listening). The MT5's have proved themselves to me so much I now have two pairs for different locations. Any 'locking' Audio-Technica cable will work, get the best you can afford.

OVERVIEW

MT5 : Monitoring, Mixing, Mastering, and Listening, yes they can do it all, but not absolutely perfectly 100%, though 95%. Overall frequency signature similar to the A990Z’s, though faster, more thwack and less bloated bass, so better! Closest to the overall presentation of my Neumann K120 studio-monitor speakers, though with a couple of minor freq dips. Very close to being perceptually flat, though not technically flat.

MT8 : Monitoring and 2nd check Mixing/Mastering. Overall frequency signature similar to the sizzling DT770’s - though the MT8’s have fuller/flatter/better mids and no high spike - though overall the high are elevated and the soundstage is closer. Compared to my Neumann studio-monitor speakers they have less lows and greater high-mids & highs.

HIGHS

MT5 : detailed, calm, not particular elevated or gratingly ‘hi-fi’ / ‘club-fi’. Have a slightly woody quality, won’t cause you any pain - so you can really turn them up to get inside the sound - not fatiguing at all. In terms of final mastering are pretty much perfect, less clinically up-front (and less clashy) than others. They may not reach far enough up to clearly analyse recorded hiss (only sound engineers need to hear hiss) over 10kHz they start to fall away (while the MT8’s are reaching their peak) - but otherwise very even, fast and clear (the only faster headphones here are the MT8’s). Mastered results are good though may contain hiss - that the MT5’s attenuated. If you want over-present sizzling highs in a headphone, these will not be the ticket for you, they are accurate. Most headphones do hype highs somewhat, it’s almost what we expect, so the MT5’s can sound slightly dark, in which case I recommend the DT770’s.

MT8 : if you need super-clarity in the highs, there’s no (or not much) sibilance here but they are v.analytical and gradually elevate towards 10.5kHz. I’m critical of harsh highs - these are not abrasive unless your mix is poor (many commercial recordings are BTW!). They have the fastest highs of this group - revealing, breathy, airy and open, not metallic or grainy. Compared to the MT5 it’s like a sonic door has opened (actually too far), highs can be distracting in some vocals and swamp a mix (be warned) though their clarity encourages you to accept this, it’s a natural clarity, certainly more forward than the DT770 though actually rises more smoothly and predictably - no noticeable sudden peaks (unlike the problem 8kHz spike of the DT770’s). I’d say the highs are ‘Grado like’ (though the MT8’s lows are very different - they are present!). In comparison to say the reasonably priced and well regarded M40x the highs are not as pronounced as have a more even spread (M40x are more wavy, up/down), so they are within reasonable limits and useful.

HIGH-MIDS

MT5 : as well as highs not quite reaching far enough up to analyse recorded hiss there is a slight dip in the 'low-highs' or 'high-mids' around 5kHz. That said the high-mids don’t seem odd in any way, they just slightly knock-down some voice texture / claps (you’d have to be an total audiophile to notice anything) - but still v.fast and detailed. This high-mid dip does in fact add precision and instrument separation to the highs, so ok overall a little dark but works to define high presentation, somehow expertly presents the dynamic of the upper range. NB most headphones have a dip in the 2-6kHz region, usually falling to around -6dB, the MT5’s briefly dip to -9dB here. As these headphones are so detailed and fast this dip isn’t actually that noticeable, except for adding a woody timbre, their detail picks up much more presence than other headphones with less of a dip but mushier details.

MT8 : the dip noticed in the MT5’s is far less here, about -5dB at 5.5kHz which is not a great dip and provides good detail in this information rich region of the freq range. If the MT5’s are an autumn afternoon, these are a spring morning. They will test the quality of a mix like no other, if a mix is good and tight, these have the best highs of this group - otherwise they may ‘wail’ here & seem slightly high centric (in a studio this is what you need. Incredible thwack power (high-mids & mids) - when sudden hits are in a track, can make you blink with shock, this effect is even more present here than with the slightly veiled MT5’s.

MIDS

MT5 : forward, detailed and with body. There is a downside to forward mids in a closed-back headphone, they can shout or project resonation/congestion at high volumes, this is noticeable in busy passages with the MT5’s. There is a slight W shape to the freq response, raised at the ends and the centre - and with corresponding dips between (but don’t let this worry you, it’s fairly healthy, as is actually flatter and far better than a V shape). If you are critical of every aspect of a headphone you will miss out on greatness; nothing covers everything. These definitely have the mid and low-mid weight and fullness of my monitor speakers. For listening you may like less forward mids - the tricky aspect there is often the mids are then recessive, sapping presence, and so a slightly forward mid, in my book, is preferable.

MT8 : Presence and detail is amazing, superlative, similar to the MT5’s though with a flatter response (possibly slightly too flat - if that’s possible). Any mid-resonance issue of the MT5 and A990Z’s is not heard here (though maybe moves to the high-mids).

LOWS

MT5 : powerful, defined and tight, might even say these have the most satisfactory bass of this group. Aggressive thwacks hit v.powerfully and cleanly, impressive. In presence they are very well matched to the mids, with no hyped bumps (unlike say the M40x, let’s not even talk about the M50x). Certainly the bass will not swamp the mids, it’s distinct. Low-mids are have incredible presence.

MT8 : tight, accurate, has drive but not over-emphasised, under-present at times in the low-mids. The A990Z have more bass warmth but not more detail, the MT5’s have more more power and more hit in the 70-200Hz range, the DT770’s have slightly more power through not as much detail. The recessive nature of the bass (esp below 100hz), is in part relative to the forward highs, the headphones can’t be turned up too far to reveal the full bass glory - as the zingy highs then become overly present. Bass recessiveness certainly holds back the forward presence of bass centred instruments, if you value this area esp low-mids, the MT5’s (rather then the 8’s) cannot be bettered.

V.LOW

MT5 : present though under 50Hz they dip just below the strength of the mids, while the MT8’s keep sub-bass just above.

MT8 : this is the surprise, sub-bass if present in a recording is powerful and defined, more so than the DT770 and even the A990Z - reaching lower and with more detail (and also as previously mentioned, the powerful bass-ready MT5’s are not as present under 50Hz). This is a strong point of these headphones, the natural bass spread, which introduces powerful sub-bass without confusing it with middle bass frequencies - this is actually rare in a headphone, sub-bass seems to come from nowhere as an instrument in itself. If your like all bass to sound like sub-bass these headphones are not for you, sub-bass is powerful only when present in the recording, which including all genres, below 45Hz is actually quite rare - hence it’ll be the slightly recessive lows that you’ll be noticing more than the sub power.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #143 of 207
I believe my views to be unbiased. My 'control' are my Neumann KH120 monitor speakers, the flattest, most detailed and rich, 2-way monitors available. I own many headphones (and have tried many others). My recommendation are the MT5's, I have the MT8's but rarely use them as they under-represent bass and over-represent treble - on the whole the MT8's are too harsh and I would not say accurate, though for analytical inspection when mixing they are great, but no good for mastering (or listening). The MT5's have proved themselves to me so much I now have two pairs for different locations. Any 'locking' Audio-Technica cable will work, get the best you can afford.

OVERVIEW

MT5 : Monitoring, Mixing, Mastering, and Listening, yes they can do it all, but not absolutely perfectly 100%, though 95%. Overall frequency signature similar to the A990Z’s, though faster, more thwack and less bloated bass, so better! Closest to the overall presentation of my Neumann K120 studio-monitor speakers, though with a couple of minor freq dips. Very close to being perceptually flat, though not technically flat.

MT8 : Monitoring and 2nd check Mixing/Mastering. Overall frequency signature similar to the sizzling DT770’s - though the MT8’s have fuller/flatter/better mids and no high spike - though overall the high are elevated and the soundstage is closer. Compared to my Neumann studio-monitor speakers they have less lows and greater high-mids & highs.

HIGHS

MT5 : detailed, calm, not particular elevated or gratingly ‘hi-fi’ / ‘club-fi’. Have a slightly woody quality, won’t cause you any pain - so you can really turn them up to get inside the sound - not fatiguing at all. In terms of final mastering are pretty much perfect, less clinically up-front (and less clashy) than others. They may not reach far enough up to clearly analyse recorded hiss (only sound engineers need to hear hiss) over 10kHz they start to fall away (while the MT8’s are reaching their peak) - but otherwise very even, fast and clear (the only faster headphones here are the MT8’s). Mastered results are good though may contain hiss - that the MT5’s attenuated. If you want over-present sizzling highs in a headphone, these will not be the ticket for you, they are accurate. Most headphones do hype highs somewhat, it’s almost what we expect, so the MT5’s can sound slightly dark, in which case I recommend the DT770’s.

MT8 : if you need super-clarity in the highs, there’s no (or not much) sibilance here but they are v.analytical and gradually elevate towards 10.5kHz. I’m critical of harsh highs - these are not abrasive unless your mix is poor (many commercial recordings are BTW!). They have the fastest highs of this group - revealing, breathy, airy and open, not metallic or grainy. Compared to the MT5 it’s like a sonic door has opened (actually too far), highs can be distracting in some vocals and swamp a mix (be warned) though their clarity encourages you to accept this, it’s a natural clarity, certainly more forward than the DT770 though actually rises more smoothly and predictably - no noticeable sudden peaks (unlike the problem 8kHz spike of the DT770’s). I’d say the highs are ‘Grado like’ (though the MT8’s lows are very different - they are present!). In comparison to say the reasonably priced and well regarded M40x the highs are not as pronounced as have a more even spread (M40x are more wavy, up/down), so they are within reasonable limits and useful.

HIGH-MIDS

MT5 : as well as highs not quite reaching far enough up to analyse recorded hiss there is a slight dip in the 'low-highs' or 'high-mids' around 5kHz. That said the high-mids don’t seem odd in any way, they just slightly knock-down some voice texture / claps (you’d have to be an total audiophile to notice anything) - but still v.fast and detailed. This high-mid dip does in fact add precision and instrument separation to the highs, so ok overall a little dark but works to define high presentation, somehow expertly presents the dynamic of the upper range. NB most headphones have a dip in the 2-6kHz region, usually falling to around -6dB, the MT5’s briefly dip to -9dB here. As these headphones are so detailed and fast this dip isn’t actually that noticeable, except for adding a woody timbre, their detail picks up much more presence than other headphones with less of a dip but mushier details.

MT8 : the dip noticed in the MT5’s is far less here, about -5dB at 5.5kHz which is not a great dip and provides good detail in this information rich region of the freq range. If the MT5’s are an autumn afternoon, these are a spring morning. They will test the quality of a mix like no other, if a mix is good and tight, these have the best highs of this group - otherwise they may ‘wail’ here & seem slightly high centric (in a studio this is what you need. Incredible thwack power (high-mids & mids) - when sudden hits are in a track, can make you blink with shock, this effect is even more present here than with the slightly veiled MT5’s.

MIDS

MT5 : forward, detailed and with body. There is a downside to forward mids in a closed-back headphone, they can shout or project resonation/congestion at high volumes, this is noticeable in busy passages with the MT5’s. There is a slight W shape to the freq response, raised at the ends and the centre - and with corresponding dips between (but don’t let this worry you, it’s fairly healthy, as is actually flatter and far better than a V shape). If you are critical of every aspect of a headphone you will miss out on greatness; nothing covers everything. These definitely have the mid and low-mid weight and fullness of my monitor speakers. For listening you may like less forward mids - the tricky aspect there is often the mids are then recessive, sapping presence, and so a slightly forward mid, in my book, is preferable.

MT8 : Presence and detail is amazing, superlative, similar to the MT5’s though with a flatter response (possibly slightly too flat - if that’s possible). Any mid-resonance issue of the MT5 and A990Z’s is not heard here (though maybe moves to the high-mids).

LOWS

MT5 : powerful, defined and tight, might even say these have the most satisfactory bass of this group. Aggressive thwacks hit v.powerfully and cleanly, impressive. In presence they are very well matched to the mids, with no hyped bumps (unlike say the M40x, let’s not even talk about the M50x). Certainly the bass will not swamp the mids, it’s distinct. Low-mids are have incredible presence.

MT8 : tight, accurate, has drive but not over-emphasised, under-present at times in the low-mids. The A990Z have more bass warmth but not more detail, the MT5’s have more more power and more hit in the 70-200Hz range, the DT770’s have slightly more power through not as much detail. The recessive nature of the bass (esp below 100hz), is in part relative to the forward highs, the headphones can’t be turned up too far to reveal the full bass glory - as the zingy highs then become overly present. Bass recessiveness certainly holds back the forward presence of bass centred instruments, if you value this area esp low-mids, the MT5’s (rather then the 8’s) cannot be bettered.

V.LOW

MT5 : present though under 50Hz they dip just below the strength of the mids, while the MT8’s keep sub-bass just above.

MT8 : this is the surprise, sub-bass if present in a recording is powerful and defined, more so than the DT770 and even the A990Z - reaching lower and with more detail (and also as previously mentioned, the powerful bass-ready MT5’s are not as present under 50Hz). This is a strong point of these headphones, the natural bass spread, which introduces powerful sub-bass without confusing it with middle bass frequencies - this is actually rare in a headphone, sub-bass seems to come from nowhere as an instrument in itself. If your like all bass to sound like sub-bass these headphones are not for you, sub-bass is powerful only when present in the recording, which including all genres, below 45Hz is actually quite rare - hence it’ll be the slightly recessive lows that you’ll be noticing more than the sub power.
Thanks for the detailed input, I'll definitely get my hands on the MT8 soon, and if I have extra cash, i might pick up the MT5s as well

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #144 of 207
Thanks for the detailed input, I'll definitely get my hands on the MT8 soon, and if I have extra cash, i might pick up the MT5s as well

...it depends on your use. For critical inspection the MT8's - but they don't have an accurate/flat freq response (you can't master/EQ with them), while the MT5's come very close to perfect to my ears (you can master/EQ with them).

You can't really beat monitor speakers like the Neumann's - in actual space, but the the MT5's are very useful indeed. I truly recommend the MT5's, then when you have extra cash get the MT8's for v.occasional inspectional use, rather than the other way around.

The Neumann KH120's are around £1100 a pair, judged to this I'd say the MT5's are worth about £700, while the MT8 about £400. Of course both headphones are much cheaper than this, but the value of the MT5's to me - is ~£700. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #146 of 207
...as I say the MT8 are not for listening pleasure, they do not give a correct representation of how music was intended to be heard by the musician; the MT8's are for technical inspection only. The EQ is pushed up in the treble region and reduced in the bass region. For example I use my MT8's only for examining hiss in live recording - so I can blend hiss between two takes, this will not be heard under normal listening conditions, but as an engineer you need to hear these 'faults' in a recording - while mastering.

The MT5 reveal everything that is intended in a recording with incredible clarity and speed, but unlike the MT8's the MT5's have a very accurate freq response - which I have to say is very rare these days in headphones. The MT5's are a gem in the headphone world - for listening and/or mastering, in fact every part of the freq range is exceptional - and pleasurably forward.

The MT8's are a specialist tool for studio use only. You may like the sound of the MT8's - but they do not provide an accurate frequency rendition. If you are over 60 with some high-freq loss to your hearing they may be ok, but in truth they should remain in the studio - and even there only for infrequent specialist purposes.

The MT5's should be double the price of the MT8's - then there would be less confusion about these great headphones!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #148 of 207
(Mt8 + MX100-Z + 900st) would make for a nice gift from santa. I want to compare to my dt48.25/200 and dt480.25/200

but i have not been good this year

anyone have all of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back