Yamaha HPH-MT8 studio monitor headphones
Apr 21, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #106 of 207

They sound far better to me than any headphone. It's not even close. And I've owned/heard most of the popular high-end ones. But it's good to know about the other two you listed potentially being even better.

Ha, I really loved reading this BECAUSE i own the FSP you don't like (i had to read this so often) in comparison to the 220 (that i never owned btw). BUT i do have LSR305 now (replacing HS7 that have the smallest sweet spot ever). And imho the FSP are closer to "truth" than the 305. Weird world isn't it? 

That being said the JBL are incredible speakers given how cheap they are. And that waveguide is pure magic... 

Other than that - i had the MT-7 for a while and thought they sounded artificial and weirdly distant.... first time i didn't like a big soundstage because "that really does not sound realistic at all" - hard to describe...

Aaand i'd be tempted to try the MT8 if they are (supposedly) less sibilant than the MT220 (that i did not buy therefore)  

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #107 of 207
  Ha, I really loved reading this BECAUSE i own the FSP you don't like (i had to read this so often) in comparison to the 220 (that i never owned btw). BUT i do have LSR305 now (replacing HS7 that have the smallest sweet spot ever). And imho the FSP are closer to "truth" than the 305. Weird world isn't it? 

That being said the JBL are incredible speakers given how cheap they are. And that waveguide is pure magic... 

Other than that - i had the MT-7 for a while and thought they sounded artificial and weirdly distant.... first time i didn't like a big soundstage because "that really does not sound realistic at all" - hard to describe...

Aaand i'd be tempted to try the MT8 if they are (supposedly) less sibilant than the MT220 (that i did not buy therefore)  

These things are subjective. There is no right or wrong when it comes to what you like.

As for my opinion: as I said, these JBL speakers are superior to even the most expensive headphones I've owned/heard. (And quite a few of those are leagues beyond the FSP.) Before getting these, I preferred headphones over speakers because I hadn't given the latter much of a chance...and now I've done a 180. hehe. Sometimes it sounds like I'm there at the original performance. Never got that with headphones.

Side note: I'm sure you know that speakers need EQ and room treatments to get the most accurate sound, as well as good placement. All I've done so far is put them on speaker stands and place them in a position that sounds best to me. But even this is a lot better than just putting them on a desk.

Anyway, sorry for steering the thread off-topic.
redface.gif

May 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #109 of 207

If you like the FSP try the K712, you're gonna sell the veiled in comparion FSP the next day (atleast what I did).

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #110 of 207
MT8 vs MT220

FdeKbb2.jpg

MT220:
noticeable more bass, wider (but not tall) soundstage, better instrument separation (because of the wider soundstage), more natural vocals, highs share the same signature but on the MT220 they sound slightly more ''airy''.

MT8: slightly better resolution, same amount of detail (but on the MT220 it's easier to pinpoint instruments because of the wider soundstage), sounds slightly faster than the MT220, highs share the same signature.

I like them both to be honest and you can do studio/mixing work with both but if I had to choose just one I prefer the MT220 more.

*note that my MT220 have many many hours of burn in and the MT8 is brand new (but I doubt they're gonna change a lot).

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #113 of 207
Nope, and I only use speakers at the moment.
I love headphones...but I wish I was able to "only" use speakers...it'd be so great! Not that you can't "feel" headphones, but there's something special about truly feeling the sound pressure wave from speakers...it's almost like those old Maxell tape labels...the one where the guy is in the chair is literally being "blown" away by the sound :wink:

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #116 of 207
I got the Yamaha HPH-MT8 today. I really liked it when auditioning it at a local DJ store. (despite some of the bashing in this thread).

They are packaged almost identically as a competitor the M50X from Audio-Technica.

They do feel however a bit more premium, the arms are made out of metal, the artificial leather is of good quality and the headphones have some weight to them.

I hear these as a little more rounded from bass to mids, they sound natural and wholesome. Imaging and soundstage is about average. Not super intimate but not wide either.

The only thing one would have to come to terms with is this headphone has a detailed treble edgyness to it.

It let's you enjoy the music but at the same time is tilted a little towards judging the recording.

Anyone know if there is a way to get a cable with an inline mic on it?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #118 of 207
i was considering buying the mt8 since it has a detachable cable and was the succesor of ther over "hyped" mt220, but for what i've read it seems better to stay away from them, sadly i need a replacement for my shure srh440 (one of the cables at the hinges is failing so one of my ears is left without sound sometimes) and was thinking on something neutral and good, tbh i don't produce any kind of music nor even i mix, i usually go with "cheaper" stuff that sound good and this headphone was something that picked my attention, but since some people compare this to the m50x or even the m30x .. is not even worth the consideration and better go grab some shure srh840..
any recomendation?, i just want some better headphones than my shr440 (and the 840 are not that of an "upgrade" over the 440..) and need to be closed back, for open headphones i already use my ma900 (yeah i'm that cheap) wich was the reason i didn't picked one of the holy trinity aka sennheiser hd600 (sound pretty similar, but ma900 has wider soundstage and better treble..with poorer ( quality).
as comparing headphones to speakers.. that's tottally nuts... even my hifi international philips from the 70's speakers sound better than almost all of the headhpones that i ever tried (and those speakers are vintage)

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #119 of 207
I'm wondering if this isn't the same case like with M50x vs M40x. Most folks are looking at the flagship model, MT8 in this case, when later it turns out that little brother is actually better. It seems that nobody is talking about MT5, except one guy on youtube and one amazon review, both are very favorable, btw..

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #120 of 207
The perfection does not exist, but i found an excellent sound in the akg K712 pro, an open can. I think that we must consider the mt8 as a mid tier, closed headphone, with all the possible problem of this cathegory. I had a lot of headphones in my collection, and despite the cost most of the closed cans I had failed in the midrange reproduction. Can anyone speak about a perfect hp in this area? When we buy a closed we are aware of that. The best i listened to in this area before the MT8 was the Shure srh-940, perfect sounding can for my tastes, sold beacause of the poorest build quality i had experiece with... then my serch for the good closed that can rival with the shures went through:
- cal - boxy
- akg k167 - nice sound poor build
- beats pro - forgive me
- akg k550 - thin mids
- akg k518 - boomy
- sennheiser hd25 - compressed, not spatial at all
- akg k545 - the best of all, a bit undefined
- tdk st750 - sibilant
- sony mdr100 aap - resonant cups, overall good
- skullcandy crusher- dark mids
- sennheiser momentum on ear 2.0 - strange mids
- philips fidelio m1 - another good choice, but no treble extension
- akg y50 - bass into mids
- marshall mids - good but compressed imaging
- beyerdynamic dtx350m - tizzy, recessed mids
- marshall monitor - uncomfortable, good sound
- yamaha pro500, cuppy mids
- kef m500 - veiled
- nad viso hp50 - too warm
- sennheiser over 2.0 - veiled mids
- b&o h6 - thin mids
- audio technica m50 - too much bass, cold mids, spike in treble. Despite this, not bad at all.
- beyerdynamic p51i - dark
- audio technica msr7 - piercing and sibilant
- sony mdr-1r and a - midbassy
It’s too easy to speak the flaws of a flawed concept. A closed hp simply can’t be perfect. The mt8 is the nearest closed can under 500 bucks to the good open hp we appreciate for flatness, nauralness, image and detail like the k712, the hd600 or the planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back