Yamaha HPH-200 (Pictures and review) [Updated]
Mar 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #91 of 210
Just got these myself and they are definitely power hungry.  Have to have all my mp3 players turned up a good 15-20% more than most of my other cans (grado sr125 included).  These would definitely improve with amping.  They are easy to listen to, no screeshing highs when the volume is turned up and it has nice bass weight.  The pads are ok but could be softer and bigger.  For the amount I paid I am very happy and they are quite different to my other cans but my grado sr125's are definitely better open cans (but cost a lot more mind you!).  They are light and comfortable but I would prefer a tighter fit on the head.  I am a large man with a big head and I nearly have these at their smallest setting - typical of the yamaha cans I have (and have tried).  In a loudish environment they do lose a bit of their appeal however I can still hear things going on around me (and at work this can be a plus).  They look great and appear well made.  Will comment more on the sound sig when I have used them a bit more (and let them burn in.....whatever).

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #92 of 210
  Just got these myself and they are definitely power hungry.  Have to have all my mp3 players turned up a good 15-20% more than most of my other cans (grado sr125 included).  These would definitely improve with amping.  They are easy to listen to, no screeshing highs when the volume is turned up and it has nice bass weight.  The pads are ok but could be softer and bigger.  For the amount I paid I am very happy and they are quite different to my other cans but my grado sr125's are definitely better open cans (but cost a lot more mind you!).  They are light and comfortable but I would prefer a tighter fit on the head.  I am a large man with a big head and I nearly have these at their smallest setting - typical of the yamaha cans I have (and have tried).  In a loudish environment they do lose a bit of their appeal however I can still hear things going on around me (and at work this can be a plus).  They look great and appear well made.  Will comment more on the sound sig when I have used them a bit more (and let them burn in.....whatever).

Haha if you have a big head then i must have a HUGE head, i'm only 5 foot 7 and i have them set to one click below max size! I just got them this morning so they're being put to the test as i type.
They feel well constructed and the metal in the headband is nice and wide. Comfort is pretty good for an on-ear can, clamping force is nice and loose but they stay on my head just fine. I have big ears and the earpads feel very nice on them.
Out of the box its a very laid back, smooth listen. Initially it sounded as if the bass and treble were rolled off a lot but on further listening its not as rolled off as i thought. Tracks with some bite in the highs still nip a little and considering its open backed my hip hop tracks still have pretty good mid bass impact although it does leak into the mids a bit and sub bass response is pretty weak. This is the first on-ear, open backed can i've ever heard so i dont have anything similar to compare it to but the soundstage seems quite good for a fairly small earcup.
Overall i'm very impressed so far, at full retail price these headphones would definitely not be worth it but at $50 they are excellent value considering they come with a 2m extension cable and 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. Probably not a fair comparison but i paid the same amount for my 25th anniversary Ports Pros and the HPH-200 has them beat for sound quality imo.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #93 of 210
Yeah, you must have a HUGE noggin
biggrin.gif
.  Seriously, though, I am liking these cans for the price.  I agree that they are not worth their rrp, but easily worth $100 and I have not even had a proper listen (have a fiio e07 that I will hook up soon and put them through their paces).  Funnily enough my ipod touch does not have to go much past half way on the volume but my other players are at 75% for good listening volume (no I am an not partially deaf). 

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #94 of 210
anybody else have the same cracking/popping sound problem ? everytime i move my head it will make that sound and it is kinda annoying as hell. it's because of the build quality (plastic scratching sound) not the driver. any way how to fix this pls ? 

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #95 of 210
  anybody else have the same cracking/popping sound problem ? everytime i move my head it will make that sound and it is kinda annoying as hell. it's because of the build quality (plastic scratching sound) not the driver. any way how to fix this pls ? 

I dont hear any crackling or popping noises. Even if i rotate the ear pieces and flex the headband it feels and sounds fairly sturdy. Due to its fairly loose fit it does move around on my noggin if i headbang a bit.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #96 of 210
  Yeah, you must have a HUGE noggin
biggrin.gif
.  Seriously, though, I am liking these cans for the price.  I agree that they are not worth their rrp, but easily worth $100 and I have not even had a proper listen (have a fiio e07 that I will hook up soon and put them through their paces).  Funnily enough my ipod touch does not have to go much past half way on the volume but my other players are at 75% for good listening volume (no I am an not partially deaf). 

My samsung galaxy s4 doesn't have the most powerful headphone output but it easily drives these cans, 6/15 volume is easily loud enough in quiet environments. My ipod nano 7th gen sits at about 50-60% and my ipad mini air around 50% volume. Seems like these are pretty easy phones to drive.
Probably the best sub $100 can i've heard so far. Just been comparing it with my Porta Pro's with an earpad and kramer mod. The Porta Pro's may have a slight edge in the mids due to the hph-200's bass leaking into the mids somewhat but its bass, treble and soundstage are better. Looks like my Porta Pro's are gonna start gathering dust in the closet.

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #97 of 210
Yeah, after more of a listen with my fiio e7, I am duly impressed.  Very nice sound that is not harsh at all, easy to listen to with more than enough detail.  Very impressed for the price.  Hate to say it but I think I like them better than my much more expensive yamaha pro500's.  Different beasts though (one closed and the other open).

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #98 of 210
Unfortunately I am putting mine up for sale.

Nothing wrong with the headphones. I don't like the feeling of the headphones on my ears, might be accentuated as I wear glasses.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #99 of 210
  Yeah, after more of a listen with my fiio e7, I am duly impressed.  Very nice sound that is not harsh at all, easy to listen to with more than enough detail.  Very impressed for the price.  Hate to say it but I think I like them better than my much more expensive yamaha pro500's.  Different beasts though (one closed and the other open).

I've actually just been looking at the pro500's haha. Apart from the obvious open vs closed back differences how would describe the pro500's overall sound in comparison? This maybe a longshot but the Ultrasone HFI 580 is my current closed back can, you haven't by any chance heard them and can give a comparison between it and the pro500 also?

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #100 of 210
Have not listened to ANY ultrasone headphones, so feel like I have missed out somehow over the years (so many people crapping on about how good they are).  10 years ago people used to trade/sell to people in Australia on Headfi, but it quickly died out, with my constantly seeing signs of CONUS only.  Oh well.  We do not see ultrasone here in Australia so few people have them and I was not willing to part with the money to try them out.  
HOwever, as I mentioned, the pro's and the 200's are totally different cans.  At the moment I am liking the 200's for their different sound sig.  However, I really loved the pro's when I first got them.  Good bass but no overbearing, nice detail, worth the price I paid.  But five times better (price wise) than the hph200's?  No way.  I got the 200's for a steal, however, I now I think they ARE worth their retail price (and I cannot say that about many cans!).  The pro500's are closed but they still leak.  You don't get great isolation, either (better than 200's obviously).  And they are HUGE.  I have them on the smallest setting.  

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #101 of 210
  Have not listened to ANY ultrasone headphones, so feel like I have missed out somehow over the years (so many people crapping on about how good they are).  10 years ago people used to trade/sell to people in Australia on Headfi, but it quickly died out, with my constantly seeing signs of CONUS only.  Oh well.  We do not see ultrasone here in Australia so few people have them and I was not willing to part with the money to try them out.  
HOwever, as I mentioned, the pro's and the 200's are totally different cans.  At the moment I am liking the 200's for their different sound sig.  However, I really loved the pro's when I first got them.  Good bass but no overbearing, nice detail, worth the price I paid.  But five times better (price wise) than the hph200's?  No way.  I got the 200's for a steal, however, I now I think they ARE worth their retail price (and I cannot say that about many cans!).  The pro500's are closed but they still leak.  You don't get great isolation, either (better than 200's obviously).  And they are HUGE.  I have them on the smallest setting.  

After hearing the hph-200 i was keen on trying the pro500 as catchoftheday.com.au sell them for $250. But leaking and poor isolation is a definite deal killer! I'm also liking the 200's different sound signature at the moment. I'm usually favour an attacking sound signature like grado or ultrasone so the laid back nature of the 200 offers a nice change of pace.
Thanks for the helpful info!

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #102 of 210
Look, the pro500's don't leak that much, minor in fact.  But I cannot turn them up in bed as it disturbs the wife.  Also, they are not a snug fit, so you can hear SOME outside noise and people talking but nothing like the 200's.  I think they are great phones (fit could be better) but for what we paid for the 200's...well they were a steal.  The pro500's are made better, come with detachable cords (one is iphone compatible) and a great case.  The 200's do not.  It is what floats your boat.  I won't be parting with either phone.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #103 of 210
  We have similar phones, Psyllium.  I also own the ath-esw9's.  I think they are great and I have been using them today but I am just addicted to this headphone game.  Amazing how much difference you can get in sound for so little money (that said, my esw9's were not cheap).  Going to have to sell my ones that are not getting enough love as my wife is starting to get worried about my fetish.  I used to change components in my home theatre/hifi rig but this is certainly cheaper (or so I keep telling her). 
I notice you also have the senn. hd25's.  Be interesting to hear your thoughts on these in relation to the hph-200's.  I nearly pulled the trigger on these from the same site (for a great price locally). 

I've given these a listen and a bit of a comparison to the ESW9's. The ESW9's appear to be more detailed, with more sub bass and a generally more refined sound. That's not to say the HPH-200's aren't any good - they have a benefit as far as comfort goes - much less "clampy". The HPH-200's do seem to grab your attention more often when it comes to the upper mids, which is an interesting effect, and the bass, while centred around the lower-mid bass, seems to feel a less closed in.

The headphones are relatively similar to my ears otherwise. It will mostly depend on whether I was closed or open headphones as to which choice of cans I will make to listen with.

Mar 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #105 of 210

I've given these a listen and a bit of a comparison to the ESW9's. The ESW9's appear to be more detailed, with more sub bass and a generally more refined sound. That's not to say the HPH-200's aren't any good - they have a benefit as far as comfort goes - much less "clampy". The HPH-200's do seem to grab your attention more often when it comes to the upper mids, which is an interesting effect, and the bass, while centred around the lower-mid bass, seems to feel a less closed in.

The headphones are relatively similar to my ears otherwise. It will mostly depend on whether I was closed or open headphones as to which choice of cans I will make to listen with.

I do like the upper mids indeed. Just been comparing them to my ultrasone hfi-580's which retail for around the same price and female vocals sound much better on the 200's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back