Yamaha HP3
Oct 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KonaBear

New Head-Fier
Basically just realized that the headphones I've been using (hand me downs) are a set of Yamaha HP-3's from the 70's/80's!  Anyone know what people are doing with them these days (mods/refurbs/vintage collecting)?  They are in great condition and I love using them!

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of HP-2 that I refurbished. Best sounding on-ear I have.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 5
I peeled the pads off gently; unscrewed and opened the cups; took out all the crumbly, dried-out, non-functioning foam and replaced it with semi-thick cotton padding; then screwed it all back together. The sound used to be "very good, but rolled-off and too warm", but now it's excellent with great treble extension, tighter bass, and slightly better transient response. I believe any of the HP series (and possibly YH) should be assisted in the same way.

Quote:
brilliant :) what sort of refurbishing?

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi there
I found some at a garage sale, perfectly working. but too warm as you explained.
soundstige, I tried your mod (thanks) , but the bass was much too weak after.
oddly, I have no screw on the ring that has to be removed and supporrts the drivers. it is all clipped.
I put the foam back ( which was not damaged at all in my item, and removed the thin foam that was held by a carton ring in front of the drivers. that made the highs more present. very pleasant then. I think I have a bit lack in medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back