Yamaha HP-3 vs. Signet TK33
Jul 12, 2007 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheVinylRipper

500+ Head-Fier
As of about fifteen minutes ago I'm the proud owner of a pair of HP-3 Orthodynamic cans I probably paid too much for on ebay.

I also have my eye on some TK33 electrostatic cans on ebay.

I am intrigued by the technology of the Yamahas and I really like the comfort and sound of the Signets since I already own a pair of TK22's which are very similar dynamic cans. Unfortunately, my TK22's have developed a problem with the cable and no longer have both channels working properly.

If I don't like the Yams I'm just going to turn around and relist them with much better pictures and a glowing description of their incredible sound
evil_smiley.gif

I'm pretty good at overselling stuff on ebay, so I shouldn't have too much trouble recouping most of my money.

Opinions, WAG's and SWAG's welcome..

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 5
Sorry I missed this post the first time around, Ripper. I too am of the fossil group, and I share your desire to go back and cherry-pick the best tech of the past for pennies on the dollar.

I know you've visited the Ortho Roundup thread, so you have some idea what you're up against with the HP-3. Like the other Yamas, it's got far more potential than Yamaha ever bothered to wring out of it. It's also got some dumbass design quirks, but at least it doesn't have the fragile Bellini headset. A guy like you should have no trouble modding it to near-stat quality.

I've also written at length about the TK33. To answer your questions, no, it doesn't have very much bass. It's not for everybody, it's underdamped (the diaphragms don't have enough sail area for true air-damping, despite the 2-micron diaphragm, so the upper midrange is humped up), and the PVC coating always peels off the earpads.

Not to worry; again, there's more performance built in than A-T managed to get out. It's a great design in its own way, and if you have a good EQ black box to stick in the chain, you can get some real bass out of them. Just be careful and watch the level LEDs. They're also nice and cheap on certain online auction sites. The one you were looking at went for $42 + shipping, slightly more than average.

I too had the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and loved it, but when I heard what the Auzentech X-Plosion could do with the notoriously picky Sennheiser HD600 'phones, I got the refurb on that online auction site and haven't looked back. It's that good. ~$65 and the chips are socketed. Run, don't walk.

If you want suggestions for Weird Tech in the headphone realm, we've managed to collect a few examples. Ask and ye shall be answered.

Oh, and the best audiobook reading of Shirley Ear Choking, Mr. Feynman is by Michael Kramer. Wish I could find it on CD.

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a email warning out for the TK33's.

So, what mods would best help the HP-3 toward ultimate audio fidelity?

Add damping?

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what mods would best help the HP-3 toward ultimate audio fidelity?

Add damping?

Yep.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep.

A funny story, I was watching cartoons with my granddaughters the other night.

The cartoon was based on the Emperor's New Groove, the Disney movie.

The show was called The Emperor's New School. The Emperor had to go to school and was not a very good student.

Through a complicated series of happenings the Emperor ends up challenging a mountain climber to a contest of mountain climbing. After a little reflection the Emp decides this wasn't the smartest move and decides to dress a monkey up as himself and have the monkey climb for him..

Some more complicated stuff goes on and at the end of the story the teacher is in front of the class saying stuff like how the Emp's grades were so great and his penmanship fantastic and so on.

I turned to my eldest granddaughter and told her "It's the monkey" and about three seconds later the view shifts and it is indeed the monkey dressed up like the Emp and wearing a mask like him.

My granddaughter looked at me like I had grown a second head and asked me how I knew that.

I just told her I was a good guesser..
icon10.gif

And no, I hadn't seen it before...

On edit: I have a black belt in thread drift...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back