Yamaha EPH-100 Vs. Shure SE215
Feb 17, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

damianmb

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was reading a lot the Yamaha thread but I would like to know the difference between both as here in Kuwait they are priced similar at about 90 usd which I think is cheaper than USA!.

Can you please tell me the differences?

I will be using my laptop and a Galaxy S with Voodoo Sound as sources. Type of music mostly acoustic songs and britpop, rock, vocals. I don't listen to electronic music and very little to classical but looking forward into it :).

I own for reference:
- Etymonics MC5 (I don't like them, 0 bass and tips are uncomfortable)
- Panasonic I don't remember the model (cheap and muddy but ok)
- Headphones PX-80 (same as PX100)
- Headphones Panasonic RP-HTX7 (I define them as weird.. sometimes the treble hurts haha)

Thank you so much!

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Hello,

I have own several iem and in ear headphones, including klipsch s4. The s4 are great on bass but the Mids and highs are muddy. I might buy another pair since the price is down by almost half.

I am also thinking of buying the yamaha eph100. They look sexy.

The Shure se215 iem are great for those genres. Pink Floyd's "mother" guitar sparkles, I get goose bumps. :)

These are my second pair, someone stold them at my work place(if i ever find out who stold them I'm going to break their thumb, lol. Jk) A must have for any one who likes iem.

Also, the other reason I'm not really rushing to get the Yamaha ehp100 is because with the shure s215 I can go to sleep with them. The Yamaha looks uncomfortable to listen to them laying down in bed.

Shure se215
Pros:
Soundstage
Bass
Mids
Highs
Comfort

Cons:
Cable!
Cable!
Cable!
I cannot stress enough.
I guess they have to make their money somewhere :)

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
SE215 have more forward, lush mids, better bass overall IMO. The EPH is more neutral sounding, not as warm, more balanced across the spectrum. The treble on the EPH100 is technically superior and probably better in just about every way than that of the SE215. The EPH100 sounds clearer and cleaner, with better soundstage and instrument separation, whereas the SE215 sounds bigger, fuller, and more powerful; the overall sound is more forward but soundstage is not bad. The EPH100 is faster, notes are better defined, but the overall sound is smaller, a compromise between BA and dynamic sound; SE215 can be bloated sometimes and misses details, but it is definitely a dynamic sound and feels bigger and more powerful than the EPH100. There is more distance between the music and you in the EPH100, which helps with clarity and separation but sacrifices on the fun factor, which the SE215 definitely delivers, at the risk of sounding like a "wall of sound" sometimes. That said, the soundstage on the 215s is definitely better, especially in depth, than entry level IEMs like CX300 and FA Eterna (the Eterna wins on width but overall the staging feels less noticeable; going from memory on this one so take with a grain of salt), but is nothing to write home about; the EPH100 has great placement and separation, and has an overall more noticeable soundstage than any IEM I've heard, including the W3.

IMO:

Shure SE215 = more engaging, more fun to listen to
EPH100 = more detailed and clear, mostly balanced sound, technically superior headphone

Don't take this to mean the EPH100 is neutral compared to other phones; it's not exceptionally colored, but the bass is boosted slightly and it's a touch warm.

The SE215 does mids and bass both REALLY well in my opinion; I prefer it for my own tastes despite recognizing the EPH100 as a technically superior phone. The bass on the SE215 responds fabulously to EQ and some serious rumble can be squeezed out of it with the right DAP + EQ.

What music would you be using them for?

Lot more opinions & impressions in the EPH100 thread.

Also EPH100 are no problem in bed.

GL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back