YAMAHA DVD-S1500, impressions needed
Aug 8, 2004 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KtoEto

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody have or have listened to this new universal player? I'm seriously thinking about buying it but the lack of reviews on the net is keeping me from the buy.
At first I wanted the Philips DVP900SA (the successor of the 963SA), which should come out in September (unofficial), but the Yamaha is available now, can play DVD-A and it's new.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS1500.htm#

Aug 8, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 12
i dont think it's available yet. it has been kept pushing back. i think the latest push was to september.

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 12
no one knows for sure. but people did say philips sold the design to yamaha. and if you look at the specs and the remote, with the exception of the dvd-a feature...they are identical.

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 12
i am not a big fan of the slimline style either. but the added dvd-a is a plus. but if it sounds anything like the 963sa w/ dvd-a, i am definitely getting one when it comes out. i had the 963sa momentarily, before it just stopped powering on. soundwise, it was fantastic.

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #10 of 12
Try the Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity forum and the Audioholics forums as well. I am beginning to see how people like Halycon who say that AVS Forum is filled with misinformation.

Aug 8, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 12
I've never heard the 963SA before, so I won't be able to tell the difference. Many say the 963 is very good, so if I'm sure that the Yamaha has the same quality soundwise, I'm buying it, no doubts.

Aug 8, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Taken from the Audioholics forums:
Quote:

I saw it at the home entertainment show in NYC last weekend. Unfortunately, it was not being played. I discussed it with a Yamaha rep though. He said that they tried to get it as close to the 2300 in performance at a price point. To do so, it has a lesser power supply and transport. It also lacks a RS232 port. It is quite thin and will cost about $400. He also state that the 2300 will be replaced by a new model in October.

More info but not enough to make a definitive decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back