Yamaha CD Changer--know anything?
Nov 19, 2004 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Does anyone have an opinion about this CD player? Decent? Garbage?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5732939311

47_3.JPG

Some info:

YAMAHA CDC-625 NATURAL SOUND
Features SL Bit 8X OS

Thanks!!

tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, you are in luck. I have the twin to this player, the CDC-91 (differnet number for different series). My unit is 12 years old and refuses to die. I looked at replacing it several months ago with a Rega Planet, but chose not to. The Planet certainly sounded better, but not $900 worth in my opinion, and I really like the Planet. This past weekend I took the player to a local dealer to hear it with some amplifiers. The dealer, a small local shop that sells Rega and NAD as well as a variety of tube gear, thought the Yamaha was better than the NAD 521BEE. Some say it can be a wee bit on the bright side, and may lack a bit of the PRAT of the Rega, but the delaer said to save my pennies for now rather than replace it with a Planet. The deck does not have optical out, but it does have a headphone jack and volume control level, and it puts out enough volume to play a set of Ety ER-4P/S without an amp. I also recently comapred it to a new Sony 685 DVD changer and didn't think the Sony had anything on the Yamaha. If it meets your needs at the right price, I would say its worth considering. You may want to look at some of my prior postings to see how this unit stacked up against some other CDPs, in my opinion of course. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Well, you are in luck. <snip> If it meets your needs at the right price, I would say its worth considering.

Thanks for useful info and comparisons. Very helpful. I have access to one of these for a very low sum of money. Free, actually
cool.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 9
I had a Yamaha CD changer like this one, not exactly like this one, I don't remembe the model number now. Build quality wise, Yamaha is without peers. I read about stories of Sony and other brand changers breaking down after only a few years of use. I used mine for many good years, and it was still working flawlessly when I sold it.

Soundwise, I like the Yamaha sound. It is clean, neutral. Some fancier brands like to tweak their CD player's or amp's sound to conform to a certain house sound, not Yamaha, what you get is what is recorded on the CD.

Nov 20, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I have had the CDX-396 for over a year now and have been very impressed with the Yamaha sound at such a low price. I know mine is not a changer, and therefore probably sounds a touch better than yours (although I could be wrong)....but I'm sure it's close.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to spend money upgrading it to either a Rotel RDC-02 ($450) or a 1072 ($650). The Yamaha sounds pretty good with my B&W speakers, but there are a couple of things I don't like. It CAN tend to be a little too thin and bright. I know the Rotel would take care of this problem...but I just don't know if it's enough of a problem right now for me to spend the money.

Anyway, enough about me...I'm sure you'd be happy with that changer (although I would recommend single-tray).

Oh yeah, and I will echo the sentiments of another poster: Yamaha's build quality is exceptional. Their components are all built like a tank.

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 9
I have a Yamaha CDC-80 from around 1991 or so and it performs unbelievably well for the age and the fact that it's a changer. It appears to be almost identical to the unit pictured above. I'm thinking of putting it in a system for my son to use in his bedroom. Yamaha stuff has always been on a very high quality level compared to a lot of the competition in its price range.

Nov 21, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 9
My CDC-585 has been bulletproof for the last 2 years. The only time it's skipped is when a disc had a few huge pieces of lint on the surface.

I use it as a transport now though, as the analog section sounds rather thin, vieled, and brittle compared to a Scott Nixon TubeDAC. But that shouldn't be a big surprise... but yes, it still sounds quite listenable as a standalone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back