Yamaha Cavit DP-U50 to 2.1 speakers
Feb 10, 2005 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Shift

100+ Head-Fier
I stumbled onto this site a few weeks ago searching for external sound card reviews. After reading a lot of posts, the choice came down to M-Audio Transit vs. Yamaha Cavit DP-U50. Since portability wasn't a big issue, I decided to buy a Yamaha. (http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...avit/dpu50.asp)

My speaker system is the Logitech Z-2300 THX 2.1. The speakers are connected to the subwoofer which powers them, and the subwoofer is connected to a remote which is connected to the sound source via stereo mini.
(http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9372)

On the Cavit, there is a set (left/right mono?) of analog female RCA preamp outputs (they look like RCA from the small photo, correct me if I'm wrong) and a subwoofer output. My Logitech uses a 1/8" stereo mini (standard audio out from a computer soundcard). It came with a "game console adapter" which appears to be a dual female RCA to female stereo mini adapter.

The question is, how do I connect the speakers to the Cavit? Is there a dual male RCA to female stereo mini adapter? If so, any recommendations? I suppose another way is to get a dual male RCA to male RCA adapters, and use that to connect the game adapter to the Cavit preamp outs...but too many links in between will degrade quality?

The other question is, since the Cavit also has a subwoofer out, would the dual preamp outputs work for my 2.1 system? As I understand the Cavit, it was designed to have the 2 speakers connect to the dual preamps, and the subwoofer to the subwoofer out. Can I just use the dual preamps for my entire system? There is no way to connect the Logitech subwoofer seperately to the subwoofer output. I'm not sure if the Cavit splits the frequencies and outputs them seperately to the preamp and subwoofer outputs. Normally, preamp should output all the frequencies, but in this case I don't know...

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Any advise would be appreciated!

I realize this is a headphone forum, but a lot of people here seem to have experience with the Cavit and some even hooked up their speakers to it. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on how to do this properly.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift
The question is, how do I connect the speakers to the Cavit? Is there a dual male RCA to female stereo mini adapter? If so, any recommendations? I suppose another way is to get a dual male RCA to male RCA adapters, and use that to connect the game adapter to the Cavit preamp outs...but too many links in between will degrade quality?

DP-U50 comes with preamp RCA stereo out (controlled by the volume knob) and fixed line-level subwoofer via RCA connector. Yamaha doens't include female mini-to-RCA cable, but you can purchase one through 3rd party. Search Ebay or on the web and you should be able to find one.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift
The other question is, since the Cavit also has a subwoofer out, would the dual preamp outputs work for my 2.1 system? As I understand the Cavit, it was designed to have the 2 speakers connect to the dual preamps, and the subwoofer to the subwoofer out. Can I just use the dual preamps for my entire system? There is no way to connect the Logitech subwoofer seperately to the subwoofer output. I'm not sure if the Cavit splits the frequencies and outputs them seperately to the preamp and subwoofer outputs. Normally, preamp should output all the frequencies, but in this case I don't know...

As far as I can tell, DP-U50 doesn't split the frequency between preamp out and fixed line-level subwoofer output. So Yes, you can use preamp for your entire system.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the reply go_vtec. What if I just plugged the speakers into the headphone out on the Cavit? I didn't think of it before as it is a headphone out, but I suppose that's no different from the audio out on a computer's soundcard? Although Yamaha doesn't list the specs for USB -> headphone out, at least it appears to be a low-level line that I'd be able to use with amplified/powered speakers. Since a lot of people here plug their headphones directly into the Cavit, I'd assume the quality from the headphone out is pretty good.
biggrin.gif

I also did a search for the dual male RCA -> female stereo mini on eBay, the results that turned up (like 2 of them) seemed really sketchy, i.e. they are super cheap/low quality.

Feb 11, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 11
For an optimal result, you probably want to use the preamp RCA, not the headphone out. DP-U50's headphone out is equivalent to Yamaha home theater receiver's headphone out; it's descent, but not stellar. It adds a bit of noise than preamp output. Simply put, you will get the best possible sound from Yamaha by using preamp RCA outputs.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Is the DP-U50 24bit/96kHz or or 24bit/48kHz or 16bit/48kHz? Are there 3 versions/revisions of this product?

Yamaha's site says
"24-BIT / 96 kHz AUDIO PLAYBACK
True digital audio fidelity from sources."
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...avit/dpu50.asp

The manual says
"This unit is compatible with the following audio
signals received via a USB connection:
multi-channel (two, four and six channels) audio,
high quality digital audio of 24 bits/48 kHz and
Dolby Digital-encoded signals."

Yahoo puts yet another spin with 16/48.
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Yamaha%2...NlYwNiZ3NpYg--

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 11
My guess is, the DP is 24/96. I'm sending 24/96 from my Philips 963SA to the DEQ2496, with no problems. Switch the Philips to 24/192, and there's no sound.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Alright, here's the deal with the dp-u50.
The maximum it can run is 24/96 via USB or any other application using it as an outboard DAC. It can decode DTS and Dolby Digital and do an impressive virtualization of both (for headphones). The pre-out is RCA with a subwoofer out... and according to the manual it doesn't add any extra power (for speakers). I haven't really tried any speakers for it since I use an A-35 for both headphones and speakers.

Personally, I find the USB audio to be a bit harsh compared to outputting digitally via coax/optical. The sound is also very sterile and a bit... boring. Analog outs on my 0404 easily best it. However, it may be easier to do analysis with the DP-U50 being so... flat (I'm not an expert so I may be using the wrong terms...).

I don't really see why you're using those speakers. Computer speakers aren't very good, but its not my place to judge so do what you will. It's a pretty good unit for the price though. Source selector and everything else... very handy.

PS: The DSP settings are pretty bad with speakers IMO. With lower end headphones (A500s or around the range), it seems to increase their performance. However, I find it artificial and bad with higher end phones like the DT880s.

All the DSP and DTS/Dolby processing will work via the preouts and the headphone outs (DTS/Dolby didn't seem to work via headphone out for me, but maybe I wasn't paying attention). But note that they processing WILL NOT work when you're doing USB/digital 24/96! It will display FS96KHZ and no processing can be applied. Analog would be good if you wanted that sort of processing, but if you're getting an analog DAC good enough, you'll probably have headphones that will sound bad with the DSP (except DTS/Dolby)

That was long winded. Ask if there are things I didn't quite cover.

Feb 18, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 11
The reason why I'm using these speakers is because I listen to music while I sleep. A large pair of headphones would be uncomfortable and in any case would probably strangle me while I sleep.
600smile.gif
Hence why I also like this unit better vs. the Transit because it has a remote so I won't have to get out of bed to change things. The Logitech has a very small footprint so it fits on this Ikea desk and offers a reasonable sound for its price. Until I move out of here, I will lock up my wallet and save up a bit.
icon10.gif

Unfortunately, I will have to use USB as my current computer's soundcard is a p.o.s. and will be replaced by a laptop next Fall. I have no desire to add a new internal soundcard (for digital out).

I'll probably have more questions when the unit actually arrives. Thanks for the help so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back