Yamaha CA-410 stereo amplifier,what tunner to use,
Aug 22, 2005 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cmoyamphelp

Head-Fier
Okay i was given a Yamaha CA-410 amplifier and am wondering what stereo reciver too hook it up too(i want classic 70's),and what classic 70's speakers would you suggest and dose this amplifier increase the out put of the stereo reciver you hook up,

Aug 22, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Nice amp. You just need a "tuner" which is a radio rather than a "reciever" which is an amp and radio in one unit. Ideally you could go for an all Yamaha 70's high-end system with a pair of NS-1000 speakers

yamahans1000m.gif

and a CT-7000 tuner.

CT-7000.jpg

However judging by the model I would say your amp was lower down the range so these would probably be excessively expensive. Look for Yamaha CT-410 which I assume is the matching tuner.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html

gives it a good write-up so it might be pricey. This ebay seller has the pair

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-CA-410II-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't know if Yamaha made a budget version of the NS1000? NS100's exist I think and NS10's were the standard studio monitor in the 80's but they have a very dry acerbic sound in hi-fi terms. Many Japanese audiophiles use the NS1000 with tube amps so I assume your amp is pretty lush sounding. You could try and find some vintage JBL's or Monitor Audio's. Look for the JBL L80 or L100 or MA 753's which were all around in the late 70's early 80's and are still very fine speakers by any standard.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I had a yamaha ca-410 ingrated amp. Gave me 20+ years of fine service.
Had to give the volume and loudness knobs a twist every once in a while (with the power off of course) to clean the oxidation off the contacts.
Finally one channel gave up out on me. Wasn't worth fixing IMO.
If memory serves, the headphone out on this amp is pretty nice.
The CA-410 was a decent amp, but not the best yamaha made
at the time. If memory serves, it was only a few hundred dollars new.

Obviously a matching yamaha tuner from the same era would be
a good match. Maybe some midrange advent speakers from the
same era (Yamaha made some good electronics, but I was not
impressed much by their speakers)

Since you got the amp for free, I'd look for similarly priced components
to match with it (OK I'd be willing to pay a little for them...)

don't be afraid to mix and match components. If all you can find is a reciever many of them had decent tuner sections, and you can go from the tape out of the receiver to the tuner input of the yamaha amp. I did this with an onkyo, then later a sanyo.

Speakers are really personal preference. If your buying something old, listen to it to make sure they work OK. Speakers age much faster than electronics. But sometimes you can replace the drivers in speakers with good result.

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
Speakers are really personal preference. If your buying something old, listen to it to make sure they work OK. Speakers age much faster than electronics. But sometimes you can replace the drivers in speakers with good result.

Speakers don't necessarily age badly it's just some of the "ground breaking" composites which speaker manufacturers are wont to experiment with don't bear up over the years. Reconing costs around 100USD to have done professionally but JBL supply kits to do it yourself for 20USD..
Some speakers actually age very much better than electronics as they loosen up with age. Tannoy Westmisters sound as good today as they did in the '50's.
For instance I've had Rogers speakers suffer from the glue in the cones coming away. JBL, Mission and B&O suffer rotting cone surrounds in their 70's and 80's speakers. I have A&R Cambridge (Arcam) speakers where the covers have completely rotted but the speakers themselves are perfect. I also have 60's Goodmans Triax speakers which are 100% perfect.
Yamaha made some amazing speakers in the 70's and 80's. The NS1000 can fetch 1500USD+ in the UK and was a very advanced design with Beryllium tweeters.
I would certainly check out 70's Yamaha's. these look cool
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-YAMAHA-TOWE...QQcmdZViewItem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back