Yahoo invaded my Firefox! help me remove it please.
Dec 26, 2005 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
I know computers fairly well.

and I can tfigure out how Yahoo has invaded my firefox. It all started when I updated my Konfabulator. I went through the install screens too fast and gave the go-ahead to make yahoo my default search engine. Big mistake. I hate yahoo. I'm a google whore.

Now, whenever I highlight a word on a page and right-click to do a "web search" it goes to a stupid yahoo page. I do this a lot and I really need to find a way to fix this.

I have:
uninstalled konfabulator
uninstalled Firefox
Uninstalled Yahoo IM
searched the Firefox "about:config" for anything that would fix this
searched for any extension hidden in any of the above folders that I could delete
and
searched the web for 30 minutes searching for any idea how to change this.

Now I'm hoping someone here can help.

smily_headphones1.gif

BILL

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't know if this will work, but uninstall everything and run ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) .

Edit: Assuming you're using windows, you might also want to run "regedit" then go to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\MozillaPlugins

And delete any yahoo stuff if it's there. Of course, as you probably know, be careful when your playing with the registry.

Dec 26, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.

Nothing in registry....I had already checked in both mozilla and yahoo directories.

This is really killing me.

I hate that someone has made my computer so something that I cannot undo!

I'm actually contemplating an Fdisc.

B

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 4
got it.

type in url "about:config"

go to preference name: "browser.search.defaulturl"
double click and revalue: "http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="

I was about to go nuts!

Yahoo is the devil.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back