yagh! I'll be the youngest one there!
Jun 7, 2002 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
So, I signed up to be a helper during the headwize show in pittsburgh. Judging from the pictures I've seen of the shows, I'm the youngest head-fier! The show is 1 day after my 16th birthday. . .
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 20
You know, old man (I think I'll start calling you that), I like the fact that this hobby is attracting young folks. Besides the fact that it means that they'll have longer to tell people about HeadRoom, it means that I'll have the opportunity to work in a market with a strong diversity of people and a goodly amount of excitment, creativity, and energy amongst its participants. Ask any of the guys who went to the Stereophile show, the typical cross section of high end hobbyists is quite strongly an older guy hobby. It's also too strongly, in my opinion, peopled by arogant, self centered jerks. Now it's not everybody, it's not even the majority, in my experience, but it IS too many.

My experience, so far, on the tour is that the cross section of folks is FAR wider than your average Stereophile show. Sure, it's mostly male, and it's clearly rather heavily weighted to techno-geek types, it also feels markedly friendlier and less conceited. I can be more myself and less "on guard".

So andrzejpw, old man, don't sweat it. I bought new socks for the trip---sheesh, I even bought new undies. Just put on your new HeadRoom t-shirt, grab a handfull of discs, and come on over and play with all the cool toys.

Jun 8, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 20
I even enjoyed it and I'm old enough to remember, quite well thank you, Perry Como being number 1 on "The Hit Parade". I remeber that well, it's yesterday I have trouble with.

Oh well, the show was a blast in Orlando, and anybody who has a chance to go and doesn't, well!!!!

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I'm scared I'll say the hi-fi equivalent of "I'm wearing new socks today," or "I like ponies and kitties."

Wow, for most people Jude has to search for custom title ideas, but you just keep spitting them out.

Anyway, I don't think anybody will value your opinions less because of your age. This is a rather individualized hobby anyway. Just don't put on the HD600s and say "wow, these really are veiled" or bad things may happen.

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #10 of 20
We young folk would probably be better represented in hi-fi if you old folk would throw a little cash our way, ya know? I mean, we are paying for your Social Security, so it's the least you could do. ...

PM me for my PayPal account name.

kerelybonto

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by kerelybonto
We young folk would probably be better represented in hi-fi if you old folk would throw a little cash our way, ya know? I mean, we are paying for your Social Security, so it's the least you could do. ...

Oh I am so looking forward to the day when I can cash in on Social Security. With my first check I am thinking of buying a yacht or membership in a country club. Just think month after month of these huge checks. It is like winning the lottery.

kerlybonto get in line behind my kids, whatever money they don't want of mine you are welcome to.

Don't be tempted by the Siren "Loud Volume" save your ears and you will still be enjoying the music when you are collecting the big money offered by Social Security.

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Oh I am so looking forward to the day when I can cash in on Social Security. With my first check I am thinking of buying a yacht or membership in a country club. Just think month after month of these huge checks. It is like winning the lottery.

ROTFLMFAO!!!

As much as I've paid into the system I *should* be getting some pretty big SS checks but we all know that isn't how that works!

Don't you also get taxed on SS income? What ****ing irony.

I don't know about you guys but I plan on SS not being around when I retire. If it is then that's icing on the cake but there is NO WAY IN HELL I could live off of SS. Plus the fact that my retirement age will probably be 85+ at the rate things are going. **** that, I'm retiring when I'm 50 something if I have anything to say about it. I'll either buy an RV and travel or I'll start a little indie music shop. Shoot, maybe I'll start a mail-order indie music shop and run it from the RV.

andrzejpw, if you were smart you would start saving for retirement *NOW*. 16 is an ideal age to start, take a portion of your income from a job and throw it into a market index fund. Use the rest on hi-fi audio. Oh if I could only be 16 again!!

If you really need a car, get the cheapest POS that runs. When I was 16 or so (in 1988ish) I was driving a 1972 Plymouth Fury III.

Jun 8, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 20
Okay, john_jcb, let me know what your kids pass up. I have a certain personal attachment to 1984 pennies, so if you have any, throw them my way.

Really, though, this isn't the civil rights era. What do we youth have to be upset about? I think Social Security is a good thing to resent ... I mean, it is the biggest pyramid scheme in existence.

I should start keeping track of everything I pay into Social Security right now. Adjust for inflation, and assuming the program's even still around in forty-five years (I hope it isn't), I
doubt I'll get back more than half. Down with Social Security! Fight the power!

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back