gerG

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #62 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I hope to pick up a super-mini as well.

nano + super-mini = super-ninny
tongue.gif

gerG

Same here. I still have a mini v6 which I dug out to compare to the SM3. Obviously the SM3 blows it away, but it's still good and the new version is supposed to be tons better.

Like yours, my Nano is still processing. According to Job's "performance" they are to be in at least some stores this weekend. If so, I might grab one and cancel the Apple order if it hasn't shipped by that time. I don't usually suffer from the "gimmees," but I'm really looking forward to this thing.

Sep 8, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad
Do you also hate everyone with two cars, multiple TVs or more than one computer?

If we aren't bothered by your purchases, why are you offended by ours?

First off, I didn't say that multiples of anything is a bad idea. This is head-fi, how many people have ubsurd numbers of headphones? I personally own a desktop, laptop and server, all have their purposes. I own a large crt monitor for graphics use, and then a smaller lcd for day-to-day tasks. And I'm not offended by your purchases, that doesn't even make sense. I was saying that ipods have now become status symbols, a new one comes out, and there is an irrational need for it. When Intel releases a new processor, are there thousands upon thousands of people that rush out and NEED it, regardless if their current solution is working perfectly for their needs, because somehow it has solved all of their problems? Of course not. And I was simply voicing my opinion on that. Technology should never be based on your status because of it, it should be based on the individual technical merits of the device or solution. I was saying wake up, there are other options out there, just because a new ipod has been released, you don't NEED it. Give other companies a chance, Apple has become the MS of the dap world, and that makes me a little uneasy inside.

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #64 of 97
Selling my mini to a friend, ordered the black 4 gig this morning
smily_headphones1.gif
finally a player I can have in my pocket when I don't have a coat on. Wish my job was more casual -- I'd just wear cargo pants with player, amp, SA5000s... whole shebang.
wink.gif

5000smile.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #65 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
First off, I didn't say that multiples of anything is a bad idea. This is head-fi, how many people have ubsurd numbers of headphones? I personally own a desktop, laptop and server, all have their purposes. I own a large crt monitor for graphics use, and then a smaller lcd for day-to-day tasks. And I'm not offended by your purchases, that doesn't even make sense. I was saying that ipods have now become status symbols, a new one comes out, and there is an irrational need for it. When Intel releases a new processor, are there thousands upon thousands of people that rush out and NEED it, regardless if their current solution is working perfectly for their needs, because somehow it has solved all of their problems? Of course not. And I was simply voicing my opinion on that. Technology should never be based on your status because of it, it should be based on the individual technical merits of the device or solution. I was saying wake up, there are other options out there, just because a new ipod has been released, you don't NEED it. Give other companies a chance, Apple has become the MS of the dap world, and that makes me a little uneasy inside.

True, I don't need an iPod. In Fact, I don't own a hard drive/flash based mp3 player. I just use my computer, and my trusty slimX350 cd mp3 player. However, since Apple has become the "MS" of the dap world, this only forces other companies to do better, and that's what I'd want. Imagine if iPods never even existed. iPods have changed the way of portable music to many in America. And other companies don't even offer a product that's like a new gen. iPod once it's released. Which is why I'm tempted to get one. But I'm holding out. Just because everyone likes it and owns it, doesn't mean you should be hating. Just like how bands are liked by everyone, some loser starts hating just because of their success. And Apple is very successful with their line of daps. So why would I even want one? Because Apple released a 4gb flash which I can run long miles with and not worry about other crap. I don't see any other 4gb flash players having the features of this new player, and I wouldn't want to wait another couple months for a product to exceed the iPod Nano. Also, it can be a hobby that people rush out for a new amd/intel CPU, just for faster speed. It's a hobby and you can't deny that, people are willing to pay for that performance. And well, that's just how it is. Just like how people always buy the latest expensive headphones, it's a hobby.

Sep 9, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEp
Ya flash memory is supererior to hard drives in size and durablilty. The only thing that hard drives have going for them is their giant capacities and cheaper prices (per gb). I think hard drives will still be used for many years.

Has anyone heard of the really small hard drives that are 2 and 4 gb that are sposed to be ALOT more durable than the normal ones? I think I saw it in popular science.

ya, moving parts (hard drives) vs. non moving parts (flash). Non moving parts wins always in reliability and durability. I wished I could have a 160 flash memory drive instead of my 160GB maxtor hard drive...I keep backing up my computer just in case the hard drive dies...which it will...it is inevitable. But flash memory's downside is the number of writes and rewrites are finite...the good news is that it is in the thousands.

I am excited about the nano. I have the shuffle and I love it. I'll be getting a nano black 4GB soon.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

...I was saying that ipods have now become status symbols, a new one comes out, and there is an irrational need for it. When Intel releases a new processor, are there thousands upon thousands of people that rush out and NEED it, regardless if their current solution is working perfectly for their needs, because somehow it has solved all of their problems? Of course not...

This is a sagacious argument, however I'm not sure it's status that most consumers are rushing out to apprehend. My feeling is, it's simply the allure of 'coolness' that many of us find intoxicating.

When I first witnessed the spate of 'Nano' threads, my immediate reaction was, "...whoa, I gotta have one, that thing is awesome!" "It's small, has a small color screen (whoa!), would weigh even less on my belt than miniPod (whoa!)". These thoughts stem from the sexy desire one can immediately feel from the 'latest'. Apple (and others) is doing its job capitalizing on this phenomenon, to its credit as far as I'm concerned. They're in business to sell stuff.

Interesting fact is, I find myself with 'wait and see' attitude taking over from initial 'gotta have it' response. I suspect at some point one raises the hand and declares "uncle" on all this stuff (perhaps directly related to consumer age - I'm no longer young, dumb, and full of...). I may get one, may not, but I'll wait for a while. My recently purchased 6GB mini serves me quite well, I don't jump up and down too much with it - I like flash, but don't NEED it....maybe just WANT it.

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #69 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmanow
True, I don't need an iPod. In Fact, I don't own a hard drive/flash based mp3 player. I just use my computer, and my trusty slimX350 cd mp3 player. However, since Apple has become the "MS" of the dap world, this only forces other companies to do better, and that's what I'd want. Imagine if iPods never even existed. iPods have changed the way of portable music to many in America. And other companies don't even offer a product that's like a new gen. iPod once it's released. Which is why I'm tempted to get one. But I'm holding out. Just because everyone likes it and owns it, doesn't mean you should be hating. Just like how bands are liked by everyone, some loser starts hating just because of their success. And Apple is very successful with their line of daps. So why would I even want one? Because Apple released a 4gb flash which I can run long miles with and not worry about other crap. I don't see any other 4gb flash players having the features of this new player, and I wouldn't want to wait another couple months for a product to exceed the iPod Nano. Also, it can be a hobby that people rush out for a new amd/intel CPU, just for faster speed. It's a hobby and you can't deny that, people are willing to pay for that performance. And well, that's just how it is. Just like how people always buy the latest expensive headphones, it's a hobby.

Again you're missing the point with the hobby comment. People can waste their money on whatever they feel like, I don't care. If you look at the players on the market today, compare a mini with a micro. On technical merits, the micro wins. Same with an X5 and an ipod photo. How about a shuffle and an iriver/muvo/etc. If they aren't better they are at least as good, with tradeoffs either way. I won't compare the nano, because I haven't had the chance to use it, and it would therefore be completely unfair of me to do so. And yes, the G1 in 2001 was a breakthough that no one in their right mind can deny, I'm just saying these days there are other options to consider, dont be blinded by silhouettes dancing with crappy earbuds.

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #70 of 97
Quote:

Again you're missing the point with the hobby comment. People can waste their money on whatever they feel like, I don't care. If you look at the players on the market today, compare a mini with a micro. On technical merits, the micro wins. Same with an X5 and an ipod photo. How about a shuffle and an iriver/muvo/etc. If they aren't better they are at least as good, with tradeoffs either way. I won't compare the nano, because I haven't had the chance to use it, and it would therefore be completely unfair of me to do so. And yes, the G1 in 2001 was a breakthough that no one in their right mind can deny, I'm just saying these days there are other options to consider, dont be blinded by silhouettes dancing with crappy earbuds.

There are other merits. Apples are just nicely designed items and they can just be nice things to have. iRiver, Sony, iAudio... they just can't touch Apple for the way the product is thought out. It makes a difference.

I know I'm going to regret getting rid of the Photo which I shipped out earlier today, but I'm rapidly getting fed up with having multiple players, so elected to stick with the X5 for the time being until the new Sony turns up and I give that a go (maybe by then there'll be the 5G I can pounce on).

I'm doing a lot of travelling right now and I definitely find the additional non-music-player functionality of the X5 more useful, which is why I decided to stick with it. But in terms of operation as an audio player (leaving aside the crappy EQ and the thorny matter of sound quality, which I feel the iPod Photo still has an infinitesimal advantage but the lead has been reduced to being almost on a par with the X5 compared to previous generations), the iPod still has a commanding lead over the X5 in look and feel. It's not just the X5 it compares well to either.

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #71 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
There are other merits. Apples are just nicely designed items and they can just be nice things to have. iRiver, Sony, iAudio... they just can't touch Apple for the way the product is thought out. It makes a difference.

I know I'm going to regret getting rid of the Photo which I shipped out earlier today, but I'm rapidly getting fed up with having multiple players, so elected to stick with the X5 for the time being until the new Sony turns up and I give that a go.

I'm doing a lot of travelling right now and I definitely find the additional non-music-player functionality of the X5 more useful, which is why I decided to stick with it. But in terms of operation as an audio player (leaving aside the crappy EQ and the thorny matter of sound quality, which I feel the iPod Photo still has an infinitesimal advantage but the lead has been reduced to being almost on a par with the X5 compared to previous generations), the iPod still has a commanding lead over the X5 in look and feel. It's not just the X5 it compares well to either.

Yup. And those of us in the US also have the advantage of Apple stores, and the replacement on the spot of faulty units during warranty period.

Sep 9, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #72 of 97
I can't believe I missed the announcement on this. I am always checking macrumors. I had to drive back and forth to Daytona Beach today (7 hours rt) and I get homw and sit down to relax and see this thread. My first reaction is that it is one small cool looking device. I am thinking about selling my wife's mini and buying one.

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #73 of 97
My brother just bought me the black 4GB Nano! Thank you!
biggrin.gif

Now how 'bout "lending" me your Shure E4?

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #74 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
The Nano is like a big shuffle with a color screen. I'm talking myself into it already.

Yes, I am as well. Even if I still can't get the smart playlists to pack all the songs I want into 4GB, I still will crave this...like...like White Castle hamburgers

So I even instructed my brother-in-law who must have the latest gadgets, even if he does not use them, to run to the Apple store and get in line. We have a Trade Show this weekend in Orlando and, if he can find one, he'll be sporting the only Nano to remain empty after purchase (he does not know how to use iTunes)

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #75 of 97
RedLeader, could it be that you are missing the point? Are those of us who prefer a Rolex to cheap digital watch fools? After all, the $50 digital probably keeps time at least as well. Are Fords to be preferred over Mercedes because they are cheaper and some even faster?

I know this probably sounds snobbish, but I don't worry about the cost of this hobby. I'm just a music lover who happens to like gadgets. I attach no status to them at all. Actually, I've given away more money in the last week than I've ever invested, or ever will invest, in audio.

I think perhaps you're projecting a little too much with your assumptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back