y1 USB board malfunction
Feb 10, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #16 of 27
You shouldn't need any third-party driver. The Windows built-in USB audio driver should work just fine. Maybe the problem is the extra driver you installed.

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 27
So, I brought it into work and plugged it into my computer here, which is running XP. It recognized it, installed the drivers, and the light turned green, but there is no audio coming out of the 3.5mm jack. Perhaps I effed up something in the audio path? Would the light still be green if that were the case? It's completely likely that I made another error somewhere as I have a ton of stuff going on right now and did not give the build my full attention.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 27
Check around the WM8501 and see if reflowing helps. Make sure your 4.5V regulator is working, capacitors in the right spot, etc.

Run foobar2000 and see if the visualizations move. If they move then your y1 is almost working, and the WM8501 is suspect.

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #19 of 27
OK. I didn't open any of the visualizations in Foobar but the little spectrum analyzer on the main window next to the volume slider was moving (I would assume they're analogous?). I'll check out the WM8501 tonight.

Edit: Oh, and looking at the drivers XP used to install the DAC here at work reminds me, last night I tried everything I could think of doing to get rid of the AQVOX drivers, including deleting every .sys and .dll file I could find, but everytime I would uninstall and plug it back in it would reinstall using those files. That crap is like herpes.

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 27
Reflowed all the chips on DAC board and we're operational
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks again everyone. Also, I resorted to doing a system restore to get rid of that third party driver. I didn't realize when I installed it that it's just trialware and unless you purchase a license there is a very loud, very annoying BEEP played every 60 seconds. And as I can attest, it's really difficult to get rid off.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #25 of 27
If you right click the speaker icon in the system tray/taskbar(thing at the bottom of the screen), a balloon will pop up with "sounds" as one of the options. Click that and you can tailor things like you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back