y1 USB board malfunction
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

marozie

100+ Head-Fier
I tried posting this on the y1 thread but haven't gotten any replies, hopefully someone will stuble across this and be able to help. I just put together a y1 full configuration, and am getting the proper voltages on the USB board when connected to my computer but I'm getting an error message that says something like "USB device has malfunctioned." Any idea?

OS = Windows 7

U1U pin voltages:
1 0
2 3.3 V
3 5 V
4 7.4 mV
5 6.8 mV
6 6.8 mV
7 6.8 mV
8 6.8 mV
9 0
10 0
11 1.3 mV
12 1.5 V
13 1.5 V
14 3.3 V
15 3.3 V
16 0
17 4.3 mV
18 4 mV
19 3.5 mV
20 0
21 3.3 V
22 3.3 V
23 3.3 V
24 3.3 V
25 0
26 0
27 31 mV
28 0
29 0
30 40 mV
31 0
32 0

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 27
No dice. I've reflowed the chips a few times, just did it again. I was hoping the pin voltages might be of use. Any chance a 25W iron is too hot for SMD and that I could have fried the chips?

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 27
25W should be fine, but it all depends on how you use it. Prolonged heating of the pins could damage the chip(s). The pin voltages are not terribly useful as some of them are signal or clock pins (which a simple voltage measurement won't tell much about). You could of course check those that are supposed to be hard-wired to 3.3V or ground. See the schematic.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 27
Also check the USB connector to make sure all joints are well-soldered and there are no bridges. Inspect all other parts too, including the crystal, resistors, capacitors, etc., to make sure you used the correct parts.

Lastly, make sure it's not a bad USB cable. Try a different one, or test the cable on another device.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 27
I don't know, this one has me stumped. Parts are correct, orientations are correct. I traced through the circuit with my meter on continuity and that seems to be correct. I looked at joints through a 30x loupe and there are no bridges. The cable is good. All I can think of is that I fried one of the chips :/

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 27
Laptop or desktop?

Try the following:
Plug in the device wait for it to error. Open Device Manager and check if to see if any of the USB ports are in error state. Disable them and then re-enable them if there are any at issue, see if it comes up then.

Also try your setup on an XP machine.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptop or desktop?

Try the following:
Plug in the device wait for it to error. Open Device Manager and check if to see if any of the USB ports are in error state. Disable them and then re-enable them if there are any at issue, see if it comes up then.

1) In addition, hit delete on all the USB composite/hub devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and let Windows re-install the drivers.

2) Is the USB port providing enough power? Did you check the contacts inside the USB connector on the board? Sometimes, when I get the USB device malfunctioned error, I can sometimes get things back up by jiggling the plug (bad connector on board).

3) Were you able to test your build on a separate computer? This would eliminate the computer as the source of the error.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltmute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptop or desktop?

Try the following:

Desktop. I'll try that. It acutally did occur to me to try it on a different computer, but I haven't done that yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have some pictures?
Sometimes what fresh eyes see can be a big help.

I'll post one this evening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatopampguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) In addition, hit delete on all the USB composite/hub devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and let Windows re-install the drivers.

That's a good idea, I'll try that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatopampguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Is the USB port providing enough power? Did you check the contacts inside the USB connector on the board? Sometimes, when I get the USB device malfunctioned error, I can sometimes get things back up by jiggling the plug (bad connector on board).

I'm getting 5V and 3.3V at the test points. I checked the USB pins extensively last night. Didn't try any jiggling per se, but I guess I could.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 27
Alright, DAC is functioning
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm embarrassed to explain what the problem was. I had run out of miniature 47K resistors so I had to stick in a huge Radioshack job. When MisterX asked for a photo my shame in the ugliness of this one resistor drove me to look at the parts list so that I could reference the resistor number correctly in my explanation, and realized that the huge, ugly 47K resistor was in R3, instead of R4. Problem resolved, thank you everyone for taking the time to help out. I guess the next time someone says "check that you used the correct parts" I will actually count the stripes on all my resistors before I claim that they are.

New problem though. My computer recognizes the device, installed the drivers, etc., but when I open my playback devices menu there is no USB device listed. In trying to get the computer to recognize the device the first time around I downloaded aqvox.com USB ASIO drivers, and when the device was finally working and the system looked for drivers to install it used these, so in Device Manager, under "Sound, video, and game controllers," the device is listed as "aqvox.com USB WDM Driver 1.0.3," and under USB controllers it's listed as "Burr-Brown USB Audio Codec 2707." Is this not right?

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 27
In your program's output device it'll say something generic like "USB Audio DAC." And yes, Burr-Brown USB Audio Codec 2707 refers to the y1's USB chip, PCM2707. Though with Windows 7's devmgmt I don't see where it says "Burr-Brown," but it's probably added by this driver.

Did you have another USB DAC or USB sound card before the y1?

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #15 of 27
OK, when I open my playback devices menu there's the "AQVOX USB WDM Driver 1.0.3" listed as a device, but if I select it as my output there's no sound coming out of the y1 (green light's on though). I'm guessing this is just the wrong device driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back