Y.M.O. Yellow Magic Orchestra
Feb 10, 2004 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
This CD (as well as all their others) are long out of print, but I copped a remastered Japanese disc at a Japanese bookstore. It cost me $25 but it was worth every penny. The sound is nice and the music is waaaaaaay ahead of its time. This music originally came out in 1978 and it sounds as fresh today as it did then. Video game soundtrack, techno/discoIm wondering if anyone else owns there albums and can suggest a follow up to their self titled debut? Thanks for the help and check this CD out! Its a no brainer!

Feb 10, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
This CD (as well as all their others) are long out of print, but I copped a remastered Japanese disc at a Japanese bookstore. It cost me $25 but it was worth every penny. The sound is nice and the music is waaaaaaay ahead of its time. This music originally came out in 1978 and it sounds as fresh today as it did then. Video game soundtrack, techno/discoIm wondering if anyone else owns there albums and can suggest a follow up to their self titled debut? Thanks for the help and check this CD out! Its a no brainer!

There were some great box sets put out in Japan -- I like most things by Ryuichi Sakamoto. You may want to check out www.cdjapan.co.jp for more leads.

Feb 10, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 16
If you have a SACD player, get the

1243rev1.jpg

Yellow Magic Orchestra: Ultimate Collection.

Feb 10, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 16
I love YMO...

If you like Sakamoto be sure to pick up "Gone To Earth" and "Bamboo Houses, Bamboo Music" by David Sylvian.

ok,
erixs

Feb 10, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Oh man does anyone have that locally? U.S. ?

Feb 11, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 16
If you have money to spare, and can get your hands on a few more Japanese re-releases (I think the entire catalog of YMO has been released on a Canadian label, but then these are most probably out-of-print), then the next ones to go for are Naughty Boys Instrumental and BGM. Avoid Multiplies unless you have a fetish for sick humor, and avoid Service unless you want to listen to long radio-dramas in Japanese.

Their reunion work Technodon (and the live recording that followed) is wonderful. Playful, humorous and lush with beautiful sounds.

They have loads of live albums (some may be bootlegs) that I'm not altogether familar with.

I always think, compared to Sakamoto, the music of Haruomi Hosono is truer to the spirit of YMO -- but then many of his CDs are Japanese-only, some may be out-of-print. I recommend The Story of Genki, Naga; and if you want something with a beat, then N.D.E and OmniSightseeing

Sakamoto is very diverse, and if you are looking for overtly electronic, YMO-like stuff, you'd better go right back, just after YMO disbanded, for albums such as Musical Encyclopedia (get only the Japanese 13-track version; the 8-track international version misses out most good stuff), and perhaps Esparanto (sort of "musique concrete", not for everyone). Although Sakamoto do put out electronic albums all along (e.g. Beauty, Heartbeat and Sweet Revenge), these are more popish, more radio-friendly music, and at least in the case of Heartbeat, bowing down to the musical fashion of the time.

Feb 11, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Isn't there a DVD out there about YMO?

I think I remember seeing one in the used section of a local shop...

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 16
Im was looking throught the All Music ratings and Service got 4 stars, so I was thinking of picking that one up next. Any thoughts on that disc?

Feb 12, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 16
My bad that was "Solid State Survivor" that got 4 stars. Plunk another $25 on the counter?

Feb 13, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bundee1
My bad that was "Solid State Survivor" that got 4 stars. Plunk another $25 on the counter?

$25 is a lot to pay, but if you're happy with their debut... The tracks Rydeen and Castalia are definitive, but the whole album does sound a bit dated (to me at least). Perhaps some live albums that features these two tracks is a better buy,

Service is not bad at all, especially the finale Perspective which is vintage, sugar-coated Sakamoto. The biggest problem is that the album contains too little music, and too much "drama play" that is absolutely useless to people who don't understand Japanese.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 16
Ooh I love YMO. I have BGM and Times Infinity Multiplies on vinyl, and four or five live albums. Plus Senor Coconut's Yellow Fever! has an interesting take on the music - samba! A German man with a South American band covering Japanese electronic music haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back