Y Cabled vs Left Side Cabled Cans
Oct 31, 2007 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jo6Pak

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own four pairs of Senns, ranging from HD515 to HD595. I believe I am ready to try the HD600 now that I have an amp that should easily drive them (DarkVoice 336i), but the Y cable is holding me back. I am so used to left-sided cans that the thought of a Y cable scares me. Seems like something I would always be getting tangled up in. I often listen to tunes for several hours at a time and move around alot (25ft extension) during the process. Has anyone else made that transition from left side cable to both sides cable and how did it go?

THANKS!

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Y cables are better because they can be upgraded to high-end cables. Also, the connection directly goes to each earcup with better quality cable than it would if it went through the entire headphone to the other side. That is why you only see Y cables in high-end headphones. Rarely you may see a left-side one on a high-end headphone.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Y cables are better because they can be upgraded to high-end cables. Also, the connection directly goes to each earcup with better quality cable than it would if it went through the entire headphone to the other side. That is why you only see Y cables in high-end headphones. Rarely you may see a left-side one on a high-end headphone, but very very rarely.

that's just false. alot of high end cans use a single wire in. K601, K701, AD900, w1000 to name a few. my DT990's are also only go in the left cup. seems to be more of a Grado and Senn thing.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 8
Denon is a Y, High-end Sony's are Y (low end Sony's are on the left), all IEMs and earbuds are Y, etc.

The problem with using left handed cable usually (and I didn't say with all instances especially in a good headphone like the K701) is that the cable that runs through the headphone to the other earcup is thin and is not a good quality cable. When you recable a pair of headphones, a Y configuration is always the better way to go so that you don't have to take apart the entire headphone and find a cable that will fit in there, often having to use a thinner cable. Attaching a recabled Y cable can be of any quality and thickness you choose, and will be identical on both right and left channels. If you have to run a thinner cable through a headphone in a left-side configuration, you won't have identical cables AND you won't have identical LENGTH cables either, which audio purists would shun.

If it weren't an advantage, high-end models wouldn't use Y cables. Ever take a look at Sony's SA line up? They all have left-side cables except for their top model. Many companies do this.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AND you won't have identical LENGTH cables either, which audio purists would shun.

But which makes less of a difference than the difference between the drivers themselves probably...

One sided cables are more user friendly to me. I really had to get used to the Y cable of my HD650 when I upgraded from the HD25. The great thing about the HD25 is that you can put it in your neck when you need to take it off for a short while, or if it turns out that you need to take it off longer, you can take it out of your neck. You can't do this with a Y cable, because when the phones are in your neck you strangle yourself when you take them off.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 8
bottom line, i don't think a y-cable will cause you any problems. the y is usually only down to just below the bottom of your sternum, so it doesn't get in the way. and when you're walking around, the pull will be more even.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I like the Y cable only for positioning. This way it is irrelevant which side the electronics are on. I suppose it is irrelevant what side the electronics are on anyways.

Seems to be left ear cup wiring with electronics on the right and me tripping over cables.

With dual cup cables, it is what it is, no bickering.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Well considering the fact that you're upgrading to the HD600s, the cables are detachable so you can easily untangle whatever mess you get yourself into. I take my 580s with me almost everywhere I go, it does get tangled however it's not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back