Y.A.A.C.T.- Yet Another Aftermarket Cable Thread
Jan 28, 2004 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rodbac

1000+ Head-Fier
Those who claim aftermarket cables are teh shiz (I'm not arguing the point, btw), are they supposed to change the sound somehow for the better, or do they supposedly deliver the signal more accurately?

I'm not trying to start a firestorm, here- I just see that they're an accepted upgrade around here and thought I'd see what the consensus was about what exactly they do for those of you who use them.

I did a cursory search, but there's a lot there and I haven't plowed through it all yet (maybe if someone can tell me the keywords (besides "cable") that will yield the threads that dealt with this, I'd appreciate it).

Jan 28, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 16
What type of aftermarket cable are you talking about?.. You mean headphone cables?.. Interconnects?.. Power cables?... There's all types of aftermarket cable...

Generally speaking, yes, better signal delivery => better sound reproduction.

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 16
Headphone cables were what got me thinking about it.

So the signal delivered by the stock HD-600 cable is inferior to that delivered by, say, the Zu Mobius cable? It doesn't just change the sound to something more pleasing- it actually delivers a better signal?

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 16
How about posting a poll?
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 16
To answer your question, any material the signal passes through before it turns into sound energy has a detrimental effect on the sound.

IMO the less a cable has a negative effect on the signal, the better. A cable can not make your system sound better. A good design can only prevent it from sounding worse.

Other than this, there have been plenty of discussions out there on cables and how people feel about them.

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Other than this, there have been plenty of discussions out there on cables and how people feel about them.

I'm pretty sure I made it obvious that I was firmly under that assumption.

So back to my original post: How about a few prime keywords to get the search to turn up all those threads for me?

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 16
I guess that depends on exactly what do you want to know? Do you want to know which cable is better.. or just why cable makes a difference?

Also, not every headphone has replaceable cables, so depends on which headphone you're talking about as well.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 16
I wanted to see the arguments on both sides.

I've done a lot of reading in some very 'science/logic oriented' forums, so have come to some semi-informed conclusions based on that information, but hadn't seen any discussion here.

I thought it would be interesting to see what studies may have been done (that I haven't seen yet), which arguments were used both for and against the use of aftermarket cables, and stuff like that.

And again, I realize it's probably been talked to death around here considering the ubiquity of them, but I can't seem to find the right words for the search or something (I'm not trying to bait the arguments out of anyone in this thread).

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by rodbac

So back to my original post: How about a few prime keywords to get the search to turn up all those threads for me?

Cardas Equinox Mobius HD600 replacement Moon

also, the arrow button that scrolls through posts

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Sorry, don't mean to be that smart-a$$ed. But there are some good recent posts in the cable section. Just keep scrolling though the last few months. I wouldn't go anywhere else for posts on Senn. replacement cables. I've exhaustively searched elsewhere and there's no comparison to what's on this site and perhaps Headwize to a lesser extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back