XXHighEnd player for Vista and XP better than foobar?
Nov 12, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, it would be nice if there was some solid information posted by people that actually know what they are talking about with concerns to this software.

I agree completely. Player software that claims to be bit perfect while sounding better than bit perfect through the unexplained reduction of non-existent "software Jitter" is seriously in need of some solid information from people who actually know what they are talking about.

P

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #62 of 72
well, Peter left the ship apparently...you still have 700 of his posts on computeridiophile.com if you're brave enough
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryK2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . and those of several of my (music department) colleagues prefer XXHighend (especially "Engine 3") to Foobar. I'm running Vista. I have no clue as to the reasons.

And you won't have a clue unless and until someone with the skills and equipment chooses to do some independent measurement/analysis of the "engines" in XXHighend. But if they sound different, somewhere, they will measure different. That XXHighend has produced a player with multiple "engines" (I keep putting this in quotes because it has so little real meaning) they claim are bit perfect yet sound different, and have not done and published any analysis themselves speaks volumes. Audio reproduction is not alchemy. If it sounds different it IS different. There is a variation in frequency response, SNR, output volume (a very likely candidate)...something. "It's the same...only different" is an answer for Pee Wee Herman, not a software designer.

P

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #65 of 72
well, it's an old sound engineer joke!

when your customer becomes annoying, you start playing around w/ a knob that doesn't do anything...and you're like "what about now?...and now?...ok, it's better like this...isn't it?"
thee power of thee magic knob shall not be underestimated!
kortexmaster.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #66 of 72
Guys, Gals,

I don't frequent all the audio forums in the world, and usually it is a PM which brings back my attention to one here or there, like happened today.
Besides, I don't wear headphones.
ph34r.gif

Let me tell you, it is good to observe people with some normal good sense instead of the by now well overdone thinkings as can be seen over at CA (which I probably started there myself).

It is not so much "jitter" that can be influenced (and although it can, I never write about that extensively), and it merely is the analogue sections of a DAC that can explicitly be influenced. So, it can and I know how to do it (how to "control" that) BUT the underlaying real cause doing that can only be jitter. So yes, jitter, but only as a "transport means" to influence quite some other stuff.
The how I indeed like to keep for myself, as long as "you" can proove all is in the bit perfect domain (which for me is the prerequisite, or "sport" if you like, all very very indirectly working, and therefore a tough job to begin with).

Please don't confuse this with the "filtering" you may have read about (and which was quoted in here), which just is a replacement for the in-DAC normal filtering, and actually created for my own (upcoming commercial) NOS1 Phasure DAC which is filterless. This filtering, obviously, is not bit perfect.
Also notice that while created for my own DAC, there seems to be no one around not liking this way better over the normaly in-DAC filtering (no matter what DAC you have), and which partly overrules that filtering. Completely unintentional, but it just works out like that.
All I want to say is, today people may like the sound of XXHE better than other players, but in the mean time do not use it in "bit perfect mode" anymore. So, be careful about not misjudgeing that.

Quote:

XXHighend has produced a player with multiple "engines" (I keep putting this in quotes because it has so little real meaning) they claim are bit perfect yet sound different, and have not done and published any analysis themselves speaks volumes.

At reading through the latest posts, my eye fell on this one. Funny ...
This looks like a typicle "he most probably didn't do that, as nobody does" statement. But I guess you missed a few things.
tongue_smile.gif

First off, I personally don't know about anyone on the planet who is able to measure what we want measured here. Also, the existing equipment can't do it. However, since most probably I was the first to claim software can make a difference (keep in mind, bit perfect), I thought to be the first to be able to measure it as well. And so I did. You may stroll a bit through this topic here and look at the pictures : Measuring XXHighEnd

This measuring-means, actually part of XXHighEnd though not made public yet, can - no *will* measure the slightest difference between two situations, might it be players, player settings, cables, name it. If you can hear it, it can be measured. And, you don't want to know what I learned from it myself, where it comes down to "influencing the DAC".
Notice that this "relative" means of measuring will not tell you absolute qualities; just differences. However, as I explain in the topic I referred to, subsequent relative measuring can lead to absolute quality measures. It needs quite some learning though, and if one (say) player shows bumps over the other, you'd first have to know (or have done) a measurement not exhibiting the bumps, before drawing the conclusion "player X creates bumps".
Too fuzzy to understand ? well, never mind for now.

I hope to have cleared up things a bit, although I'll be vague allways.
Peter

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I imagining the better sound?

I'm asking myself the same exact question from upgrading to foobar 0.9 to 1.0 beta...I run both in KS on XP SP3(my VIA drivers forbid SRC), and I find the SQ just soooo much better in the new beta version.

the stereo stage is cleaner/clearer/wider...maybe they found some way to play around w/ jitter but were too snobbish to admit it? I did A/B them, and 1.0 beta wins each time
happy_face1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #71 of 72
"XXHighEnd player for Vista and XP better than foobar? "
No. Very uninteresting player.
Interfaice much worser than Foobar.
To much bugs/glitch. Sample version do not work at all. Allways give me "boofer problem".
Any musik staring work only after 10 sec фазук push "play button" and playing only 5-10 second (after that - mistak and shoting down)
And most important thing. Sound (than it play) not beter than foobar.
And one more... 80euro for what?

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #72 of 72
I just switched to XXHigh End from Foobar, all my collection is FLAC and it works fantastic. Foobar is good, but XXHigh End gives music life, so to speak.
Setting is up is somewhat cumbersome, and there are compatibility issues with some DACs, but at the end of the say, it is worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back