Xuelin IHIFI790
Apr 5, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #16 of 27
@crabdog & @handwander the Xuelin iHifi709 is finally up for sale on Penonaudion store on Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...038.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.5c28580fwf2KnT
As for the my decision to get it - the jury is still out - given there no expandable memory plus the Shanling M0 is right around the corner. Also will be holding off for some reviews.
Yes, the M0 is very interesting but I know little about it at this stage. Also, I did try the Hiby R3 at CanJam and it is superb.

I agree that no expandable memory is a big negative for any DAP.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 27
Lots of photos and impressions being posted - https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=学林

Seems like there are some QC issues, and the UI doesn't appear to be that great. The sound quality seems good though, but as a device it doesn't seem worth a purchase at the moment. b

uZ9d7fN.jpg

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #18 of 27
Lots of photos and impressions being posted - https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=学林

Seems like there are some QC issues, and the UI doesn't appear to be that great. The sound quality seems good though, but as a device it doesn't seem worth a purchase at the moment. b

uZ9d7fN.jpg
Hmm, that is the same UI as on my ATC HDA-DP20. That's interesting.

May 12, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 27
The 390 is a rather nice little DAP. I bought one as a casual, no-worries player I could throw in a bag when I'd prefer not be carrying around an AK120II. It is not at the AK's level to be sure, but I was surprised at how well it sounds. With out-and-about headphones I don't find myself constantly making allowances, and it manages indoor SR325e's creditably too. The side buttons do their job easily when you get used to them, and for me it sure beats fiddling with a touch screen on this compact scale. I don't know the competitors mentioned in this string, but after just a few days of playing around with the 390 I'd certainly credit Xeulin with a capable and well-made run-about model.

May 25, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 27
ATC products are just rebadged Xuelin, open it up it says Xuelin on the motherboard, unscramble the firmware its Xuelins Hiby firmware, i've done modified firmwares for both the ATC HDA-DP20 and Xuelin ihifi990 (here on head-fi), they are identical. I bought the ATC just to get a black one and then a Xuelin black leather case. Its my favourite DAP and i've had loads through my hands, currently have a Hiby R6 but going back to the ATC / Xuelin.

Total shame there is no external memory and they stuck that tape deck gui on in an even worse looking way. I modified the ATC/Xuelin to give skin options with out the tape deck.

May 25, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 27
ATC products are just rebadged Xuelin, open it up it says Xuelin on the motherboard, unscramble the firmware its Xuelins Hiby firmware, i've done modified firmwares for both the ATC HDA-DP20 and Xuelin ihifi990 (here on head-fi), they are identical. I bought the ATC just to get a black one and then a Xuelin black leather case. Its my favourite DAP and i've had loads through my hands, currently have a Hiby R6 but going back to the ATC / Xuelin.

Total shame there is no external memory and they stuck that tape deck gui on in an even worse looking way. I modified the ATC/Xuelin to give skin options with out the tape deck.
crappy navigation and UI are the downfall of most of these cheap players imo.

May 26, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #23 of 27
Actually, right: the navigation is a pain! My initial plays were with single-track items - like Blackened Cities from Melanie de Basio - and I stay with my view that the 390 does a creditable job with the sound. Then I tried loading a couple of multi-track albums, and I am still struggling. I can cope with the UI, and with the awful cassette graphic (I am listening, not viewing), but I can't get past the player resequencing the tracks for me, unasked and unwanted.

When I view the music on the player from a computer, it shows up just fine: all there, and in the right order. When I view it on the player, it is in another sequence, and of course it plays in that other sequence.

I have tried relabeling the tracks - just with numbers or with a, b, c - and even loading a file with a few of the tracks, but no luck: the players puts them in another order. I can't work out how it is choosing the sequence; it is different for each album, but consistent for that album (so as though by size or some other album-specific parameter).

Any ideas? Is this a quirk of the 390, or do I have a bad one?

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 27
Just got the XUELIN IHIFI790 today. Looks like a large version of my wife's Apple Watch.

It is larger, thicker and heavier than I thought it would be. Feels solid.

I have not even had a chance to use it yet, I will post up impressions after I have had time to play with it.

20180622_202456.jpg

May 5, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #27 of 27
I have inquired with a few sellers on Aliexpress if they could consider carrying the IHIFI790.
Only Penon Audio has answered positively - here's the reply :
Hi dear friend
Thanks for your attention.
The Xuelin IHIFI790 will come at the end of this month. You can pay attention on it.
If there is further question about our product, please feel free contact to us.
Best regard

Hope by the end of this month we will have a better overview of the choice of upcoming ultraportable DAPs (Xuelin IHIFI790, Shanling M0, Hiby R3, etc)[

also available from gearbest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back