XP Home, XP Pro switcheroo? (help)
Dec 7, 2006 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
I have XP pro installed in my laptop (came with it) and XP home installed in my desktop (came with an old dell). The thing is I want Pro on my desktop and home on my laptop. I want to be able to use "remote desktop" which only works under pro. Does anyone know an easy way to switch liscences easily without formating? I really don't want to have to backup and reinstall everything. Any ideas?

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 11
Maybe a dualboot system.

If you don't have stored everything under "user profiles", you have access to all data (outside profiles) through both systems and to all data w/ admin rights through Pro setup.

You could then after tranferring all data just remove (or left unused) the other un-needed system.

IIRC, XP Home does not support NTFS so there may be some problems in usage as dualboot systems.

jiitee

Dec 7, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have XP pro installed in my laptop (came with it) and XP home installed in my desktop (came with an old dell). The thing is I want Pro on my desktop and home on my laptop. I want to be able to use "remote desktop" which only works under pro. Does anyone know an easy way to switch liscences easily without formating?

You most likely can't. In fact, you current setup is probably already in violation of the license you got with your old Dell. Do you know what an OEM version is?

You probably don't need to use RDP for what you want to do. Look into UltraVNC and similar solutions.

Dec 11, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, I know what OEM is but I thought that XP allows you to transfer your liscense to any new computer (transfer, not copy). I'm pretty sure this is true because I remember they are changing it in Vista so you can only do one transfer.

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Only the full license can be transfered, not the OEM licenses... at least that's what MS says but they do lie from time to time.

Do you have any references for that licensing change in Vista?

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the full license can be transfered, not the OEM licenses... at least that's what MS says but they do lie from time to time.

Do you have any references for that licensing change in Vista?

I think you're right about the OEM thing but somehow I did it without trying
blink.gif

And here is a reference to the new changes. I'm not one to hate on microsoft but this is pretty evil.
http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193300234

Dec 11, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Predictably, they cleaned up their act since then... so what you're doing could be seen as FUD. But yeah, that they even considered it makes you wonder about the wisdom of continuing to invest in MS when free software is a viable option.

Dec 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 11
i like logmein.com for remote desktop and its free, easy to setup and works from any browser. cant hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back