XP Audio Device Detection
Mar 17, 2007 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BodiesOfLight

500+ Head-Fier
I recently had an error on my HD that had my OS on it (XP Pro) and fixed the error, but now that I have my system back up and running it's not detecting any audio device (my sound card or the onboard sound). I have absolutely no sound. The speaker icon (the volume) in the tray is gone, etc.

Are some files corrupted, any one have any idea?

Thanks
john

Mar 17, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 9
What was the error?

What did you do to fix it?

Mar 17, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 9
I didn't actually fix it, but the IT guy at work did. But he said he ran the XP repair install and ran a disk check, which I guess pin pointed the problem and fixed it (well almost). As for the exact error, I'm not sure

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't actually fix it, but the IT guy at work did. But he said he ran the XP repair install and ran a disk check, which I guess pin pointed the problem and fixed it (well almost). As for the exact error, I'm not sure

I guess I'll have him look at it again. I just thought maybe there was a quick fix I could do without bothering him.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 9
it could be as simple as going into your control panel, sound and audio devices, unmute, turn the volume up a notch, and put a check mark on the 'place an icon in the system tray' box... if that doesn't work >>

try going into device manager to see if your soundcard shows up under sound, video controllers.... and see if it's showing any error signs.

do you know the brand/model for your soundcard? your laptop? try going to its manufacturer's website to download the sound driver for it.... and install it

if that's too much work for you, the call your deskside support person.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 9
When I went into Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, everything is grayed out and says "No Audio Device". I tried re installing drivers for my sounds card but it didn't work. Weird thing is, it says everything is working properly.

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. If I were you I'd get another hard drive copy your old one to it and move the old one to backup duty. Just to be on the safe side.

Well, I have my OS on one harddrive (WD Raptor) and my audio/movies/work etc., on another. I'm actually thinking of getting another to put everything on just to have everything backed up, then I think I might just reinstall everything.

Both my HDDs are SATA so it makes it a little bit harder to reinstall the OS. I never had a problem when I first stalled the OS, but you never know--then reinstalling all the drivers. Ugh.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 9
If you copy a hard drive exactly (normally hard drives will come with software that will do this) you shouldn't have to reinstall anything. Everything should work just as before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back