XP-7 - what an absolute corker!
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

helperTcell

New Head-Fier
Well, I've just received my XP-7 (fitted with the AD797 op amps) and I have to say, after 72 hours of near constant listening with the AKG 601s, I'm chuffed to bits.

I'm listening to Beck's Sea Change (a very popular CD in our household) and picking up previously unheard nuances. This amp is beautifully transparent but has just the right amount of sparkle and bottom end oomphf to keep things interesting.

From an ergonomic perspective, it has a satisfyingly large and shiny volume knob that is, quite simply, a pleasure to twiddle...

Anyone in the UK considering buying an RSA amp might like to know that Ray tends to be quite creative with the customs declaration; I paid £0 VAT & customs duty for this delivery - thanks a bundle Ray!

Could any XP-7 users with the power supply let me know if, sonically, it's worth the extra expense?

Many thanks

James

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 9
The power supply would probably pay for itself if you're using alkaline batteries.

It's a beautiful piece, matching the XP-7 exactly. I've never listened without it, so I can't tell you if there's any sound difference.

GAD

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 9
I've read some comments on head-fi saying that there's no difference in sound between XP-7 with PSU and XP-7 Battery powered.
I just couldn't find the thread.

Jul 25, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The power supply would probably pay for itself if you're using alkaline batteries.

It's a beautiful piece, matching the XP-7 exactly. I've never listened without it, so I can't tell you if there's any sound difference.

GAD

GAD, whats the story?
I'm still waiting on those photos.

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Batteries are the perfect power source. The power supply only makes sense if the unit already came with a wall wart or some other subpar way of powering from the wall. In this case, it would be cheaper to invest in good rechargeable 9 volts and charger. That would make sense if you also use it transportable to the office or whatever.

That being said, the power supply does provide more voltage than the two batteries would, and sound quality on batteries may degrade when they are running low. The price isn't bad, and the build is top notch. It also allows for use of aftermarket power cables if that's your thing
wink.gif

So the benefits are:
-sound quality does not degrade like batteries do at low power
-no need to recharge/throw away batteries
-more voltage (maybe better sound quality, but never worse)
-it matches!

Ray is the kind of guy who really believes in good power, which is why the xp7 is powered using batteries instead of including some mass market wall wart, and provides the option of the power supply unit which he builds himself. I too share that belief. Just look at all his products- all the power sections in them are either battery or built by himself.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 9
this is off topic, but i loved learning a couple of new words -- corker and chuffed. we yanks need more wonderfully expressive words like that!

yes, i did have to go to dictionary.com to find the definitions . . . .

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is off topic, but i loved learning a couple of new words -- corker and chuffed. we yanks need more wonderfully expressive words like that!

yes, i did have to go to dictionary.com to find the definitions . . . .

You beat me to it! I saw the title and had to read inside to see whether he liked it or not
tongue.gif

Anyways, I used to own this (with the AD opamps, too), and agree with all said.

I bought it with the PS, and compared that to battery power. It's been a while, but I don't remember anything worse with PS than with batteries. I used it only in my bedroom system, so the PS stayed on it at all times....

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Thank you all for the comments on the power supply. Nice as the PSU looks, I think it's going to be rechargables and a stack of new CDs instead.

As an aside, I would recommend http://english2american.com for excellent definitions of any english slang words and phases that may crop up in the posts of us UK headfiers!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back