XP-7 or Gilmore Lite? (for HD595's)
Jan 3, 2005 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Geist

Head-Fier
I'm planning on purchasing an entirely new entry-level set-up, and need help choosing between two amps.

From what I've read, the Gilmore Lite is a bit faster and brighter than the smoother, slightly "darker" XP-7. I'm going to buy the HD595's (I absolutely adore their detail and neutrality) and so far I am leaning towards the XP-7 to drive them, simply because, while I like a forward, detailed sound, I am worried that the Lite may push the 595's from "forward and detailed" to "slightly too harsh". From the reviews/comments I've read, I'm thinking the XP-7 will add a touch of smoothness to the detailed sound of the HD595, which will make a nice combo.

Any opinions/suggestions? I won't have a chance to hear either of these amps before purchasing, so any comments are appreciated!

BTW, I will most likely being purchasing a NAD C542 as my source, and will NOT be purchasing the separate power supply for whichever amp I get (though it will be the first thing I purchase once I replenish my funds).

600smile.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 7
The lite is not going to be harsh sounding unless your system is adding some harshness. The lite comes with a std power supply thats quite good. You dont have to buy the power supply. The optional upgrade power supply for the lite is just that, optional. The std power supply and the lite give you excellent sound quality. The lite with the std power supply is only $299. Even with the upgraded power supply the lite is is still cheaper than the xp-7. The lite is a great value.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply. As long as nobody else suspects a 595/Lite combo will be too harsh, then maybe that's a better option, if only for the fact that it is quite a bit cheaper than the XP-7.

If anybody else has anything to add, speak up! I plan of buying this stuff in a week or so.
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Haven't heard the Lite but owned the xp-7 for a good bit. Absolutely great little amp. Would still have it except I just had to have the hr-2. RSA makes some very fine gear. Quality/workmanship is first rate. Service also top notch. Ray's always been quick to reply to any need/question I've had. Sorry to sound like a "fan boy" but I do love his gear! I admit it!
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geist
Thanks for the reply. As long as nobody else suspects a 595/Lite combo will be too harsh, then maybe that's a better option, if only for the fact that it is quite a bit cheaper than the XP-7.

If anybody else has anything to add, speak up! I plan of buying this stuff in a week or so.
wink.gif

I own, love, and have heard quite a bit of music through the (new) Gilmore Lite+PSU, including a lengthy audition with those comfy 595s... I'd say you can't go wrong with it; it's a fantastic amp. BUT...
icon10.gif
... I'd go with the XP-7 for those particular Senns. The XP-7 has superior soundstage, a slightly warmer, smoother sound, including a silky, articulate and extended upper range that just plain outclasses the GL, w/or w/o the PS upgrade (while sacrificing NOTHING to the GL in attack and speed), slightly better detail and imaging, and a build quality that's almost surreal, it's so good.

Hey, I LOVE my GL+PSU... but with the 595s, the XP-7 will astonish ya. No kidding...
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 7
I haven't heard the new version of the Gilmore Lite though I have the old one. For my tastes, I usually preferred the HR-2 and Senns over the Gilmore V2 or Lite V1 and since I own both I have spent a good amount of time with both. For my money, I'd probably go with the XP-7.

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 7
I really appreciate the responses.

While the Lite is a bit easier on the wallet, and by all accounts a great amp, I'm really leaning towards the XP-7, especially after what a couple of you had to say. I'm thinking chumley is right when he says the 595's and XP-7 mesh well together.

Awesome guys - this is exactly what I needed! Man I love this place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back