XP-7 initial impressions
Jan 10, 2004 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sean H

Headphoneus Supremus
Got my XP-7 Friday morning!! Had a chance to listen to it quite a bit yesterday and some today and wanted to pass along some first impressions. First thing I want to say it thank you to Ray, for getting the amp to me in such a timely manner and for his cordial and friendly exchanges we have had. I had a phone conversation with Ray this morning and I can back up all the claims about Ray being a class act as he is an extremely friendly and an adbundantly knowledgeable guy. I phoned Ray with a question about the opamps I received, and to personally thank him. Anybody have any idea how many orders have been placed on the Stealth? Wow.
eek.gif

The XP-7 is a beautiful little amp built to the highest standards in an extremely rigid aluminum case. Everbody likes to comment on the volume knob - how does it "feel."
smily_headphones1.gif
It's got this really nice solid feel to it, kind of tight on the rotation but smooth as silk which just spews quality. But what do I know, I've been using old "Dinky Knob" on the Perreaux, anything is bound to excite me. Anyhow, I'm currently using a pair of Plainviews in the XP-7 and plan to try some standard Alkalines as well. My unit came stock with AD8610 opamps fully burned in by Ray, as well as a set of AD797's on the side - again fully burned in and 100 hours of burn in on the XP-7 I might add. Cans are HD650's/Equinox and source is the battery powered Ack! dAck! non-filtered/no-oversampling DAC. Battery powered DAC you say? Yes, a complete battery powered system!!

I started out with some Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven. I expected to hear a crisper, cleaner and more clear picture with the XP-7 having remembered my time with the HR-2 and that is what I heard. Clean, clear, full, natural and dynamic is what I heard, Pidgeon's voice came through so cleanly and sweet on Spanish Harlem - a reference vocal recording. Accompanying violins flanked her at each side and they came through again crsiply yet full with nice body as well as definition. As with what I recollected with the HR-2 I heard that perfect balance of excellent definition and crispness of notes along with body, fullness and refinement. It had the midrange and that was huge for me.

I've made my way through lots of Jazz, vocals, Classical, electronic/ambient/New Age since then and have enjoyed everything I've thrown at it. You would never imagine you are hearing a portable, the XP-7 seems to drive the HD650's with extreme ease. The bass is phenominal! The XP-7 definitely has a nice full bass, that's very detailed, tight and deep. I don't hear any compromises with the battery power at all, the bass range is all there is spades. Nice groove factor I might, I noticed myself tapping my foot with Jazz and eletronic/ambient music big time. Of course the background is quiet and jet black. Paired with the Ack! dAck! and it's battery power I'm hearing an extremely pure, unfettered sound that's extremely clean and accurate. You really get the feeling that you are getting nothing but the music, period.

Aginst Ray's suggestions (
biggrin.gif
) I couldn't help myself but put the AD797's in today to give them a listen. Ray said I would need to time to really get to know the AD8610's before switching over, which is good advice indeed and usually the case when you really want to hear how different one thing is compared to another. Well the differences going to the AD797 were quite clear and easy to decifer to me! Granted it's not night and day, those of you familiar here know what I mean. But the AD797 are indeed like what others have said about them in the Emmeline amps: more refined, slightly fuller and a bit more midrange. Warmer some might say, I just say it sounds like a more integrated treble and bass range. Going to the AD797's really hit me right there, these sound a bit more in line with what I'm usually after. You hear a bit more midrange, little more sweetness, more refinement and to me a bit more cohesion. I'm not hearing any reduction in resolution or diminishing of transients or speed, just a bit more organic or "magical" as Ray put it in our conversation. I like both opamps but the AD797 is the most appealing to me right now.

Anyway, just some initial impressions for now. It's a really nice amp indeed, extremely enjoyable and not to mention becoming very addicting.

Jan 10, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Thanks for the impressions.

Give the 8610s a fair chance as they really do lend themselves to many types of music.

IMO they are more accurate and give better low end bass extension then the 797s, however the midrange isnt quite as silky smooth as the 797s.

Dont forget to update us again with your impressions.

Jan 10, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 10
I gave the XP-7 a listen at the South Florida meet and I thought it was quite special. Given $1000.00 and the option of buyin the HR-2 or the XP-7 - I would buy the XP7.

The best thing is - I was listening to the AKG-1000's on battery at a fairly high volume and the sound was pure bliss...

Very nice amp indeed...

Jan 11, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
Give the 8610s a fair chance as they really do lend themselves to many types of music.

IMO they are more accurate and give better low end bass extension then the 797s, however the midrange isnt quite as silky smooth as the 797s.

Thanks guys, it's a very nice amp. Sorry if I came across as poo-poo'ing the 8610's! I definitely like them, the majority of my listening thus far has been with them. Also, Ray put 100 hours on both the 797 and 8610 for me. They do seem to have a bit more low end but it's very minute compared to the AD797. There is definitely no lack of bass with the 797 whatsoever. I just find the 797 a bit fuller sounding and more refined, not to mention a bit more forgiving of some of my source material. But it begs the argument of which in fact is the more accurate one and that can be a subjective one. In any event, I'm glad to have both because I definitely like the XP-7 with either in it and it's nice to have the ability to slightly tailor the sound by rolling them.

Thanks for your recent posts about the XP-7 and the 8610/797, it helped me in making my decision.

Jan 11, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 10
SeanH,
I'm expecting a head-to-head comparison b/w the XP7 and your Perreaux. I still hope that you still have your Perreaux. Give it a good burn in, and let us know.

Jan 11, 2004 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I gave the XP-7 a listen at the South Florida meet and I thought it was quite special. Given $1000.00 and the option of buyin the HR-2 or the XP-7 - I would buy the XP7.

The best thing is - I was listening to the AKG-1000's on battery at a fairly high volume and the sound was pure bliss...

Very nice amp indeed...

You must have been popular!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I gave the XP-7 a listen at the South Florida meet.................

What's this? Don't give me ideas of taking my K1000s outside.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 10
HA HA HA...you'll be shot on sight!!

I was indoors thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
Just trying to see if it would power the AKG's at all...Im happy to say that it worked pretty well...no difference between powered and battery mode - ZERO NOISE!!!

That amp is eerily quiet!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back