Xonar U3 USB DAC
Jun 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #18 of 82
I hadn't even known about it until I found it on eBay! While it does pack decent specs for it's size, the seller's asking price is a bit much to justify purchasing one. :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/120737194059

You'd be far better off waiting till whenever it hits online stores that ship to your area (US or Europe).

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #19 of 82
The Xonar U3 started showing up in some vendors databases (Shop BLT has it listed at $39). I have been using it big brother - the Xonar U1 - to listen to music at work, and I have no complaints about the sq, features or supplied software. According to Asus' web site, it uses the same chipset as the U1 - which is most likely a rebranded CMedia chipset -  so it might be a good option for an external sound card for a laptop while on the go.

I did compare the U1 to my EMU 0404 USB, Clip + and iPhone 4. For casual - non critical - listening, there was major sq difference to my ears.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #23 of 82
Well, looks like we've got one inbound to the site I work at, so we'll (I'll, most likely) be doing a review of it :D:) Unfortunately I'm no audiophile, nor even really worthy of "wanna-be" due to lack of funds, but I'll do my best!! Since it really isn't a high-end item it'll be compared against integrated codecs (and, because it's all I have currently :xf_eek:), Realtek ALC268 in my laptop and the VIA VT2020 on my desktop, using the Headphone Out on both.

It a fair assumption that something of this size really won't need any burn-in? Or should I run some pink noise through it for a day or two?

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #24 of 82
I got this on order through amazon.Going to try it out,hopefully it'll work better then my on board for my laptop. Mainly using it for gaming and movies. I may do a small review of it once it arrives.

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 82

Quote:
I got this on order through amazon.Going to try it out,hopefully it'll work better then my on board for my laptop. Mainly using it for gaming and movies. I may do a small review of it once it arrives.

I've got one. Definitely sounds better than my onboard sound of my macbook pro. I can't use any of the Xonar software, but it sounds GREAT with my Shure 750dj's. It gives it a "fuller" sound.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #27 of 82

Quote:

ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card Review

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_xonar_u3/

Thanks.

As expected, my impulse buy for a solid/portable gaming solution looks like it's going to be justified.

As long as there's no major latency involved, I may start recommending this little thing to competitive gamers that want to use analog headphones like the AD700s instead of USB headsets @ lans.

Jul 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #28 of 82

Quote:
Thanks.

As expected, my impulse buy for a solid/portable gaming solution looks like it's going to be justified.

As long as there's no major latency involved, I may start recommending this little thing to competitive gamers that want to use analog headphones like the AD700s instead of USB headsets @ lans.

There is already a low profile USB gaming soundcard, it's called Creative X-Fi Go! Oh, and it isn't limited to EAX 2 and 16/48 output like that Xonar U3. Just saying.

Jul 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #30 of 82

Quote:
There is already a low profile USB gaming soundcard, it's called Creative X-Fi Go! Oh, and it isn't limited to EAX 2 and 16/48 output like that Xonar U3. Just saying.

I've already tested that card and noticed quite a bit of latency. Infact, I couldn't use it because it was so "laggy". While the Higher EAX level is good for the small handfull of older games that support it, I honestly don't see the point of output beyond 16/48khz. Especially for gaming. Just sayin.

Edit: Okay, there's 2 versions of the card, but the xfi Go! Pro is also limited to 16 bit/4xkhz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back