Xonar STX vs ST + need advice on a soundcard.
May 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

L36i

New Head-Fier
Hello.
Im looking into purchasing a new sound card. I mainly listen to music, and game very rarely. Im looking at a xonar STX, but told ST is a better choice due to better quality, less latency ect.
Just wondering, is there anything better than the asus xonar STX/ST at its price point for music?
Thanks.

May 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 9
I believe the "X" in STX signifies that it's fits a PCIe slot whereas the ST fits a PCI slot.

Similarily, the "e" in HT Omega's eClaro significes it fits a PCIe slot whereas the Claro fits a PCI slot.

I have and advocate the HT Omega Claro series. I really like my eClaro because it picks up no noise I can discern with my HD 25-1 ii's, was easy to install, integrates into W7 64 well and generally has been easy to live with.

Others you can consider are included in this Top 10 Soundcard Review list.

May 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
I'm looking into purchasing a new sound card. I mainly listen to music, and game very rarely. I'm looking at a Xonar STX, but told ST is a better choice due to better quality, less latency ect.
Just wondering, is there anything better than the Asus Xonar STX/ST at its price point for music?

What computer speakers or headphones do you use?

May 23, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 9
In mainstream sound cards I guess this is as good as it gets, unless you want professional recording features, then there are other companies as well. Depending on what you listen to (headphones/speakers/5.1 etc) you can go for an external DAC+Amp too.

May 23, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Headphone matching is very important for the STX, Denons for example are a bad match.

May 23, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Currently im using sennheiser's 555 with foam removed.
They have somewhat weak bass but i like them as they did well with my old DX in terms of space feel, and they're very comfortable.
Nonetheless, i found a well priced used ST so ive already pulled the trigger.
Thanks everyone!

May 23, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Currently im using sennheiser's 555 with foam removed.
They have somewhat weak bass but i like them as they did well with my old DX in terms of space feel, and they're very comfortable.
Nonetheless, i found a well priced used ST so ive already pulled the trigger.
Thanks everyone!

and remember you can roll opamps, it makes a big difference. Unless the cans have a strong SS of their own such as the Denons, then its less responsive.

May 23, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36i /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, you already bought the ST, but if you still have the Xonar DX, then an O2 amplifier instead of the ST would also have been worth considering, since it is better than the built-in amplifier on the ST/STX with the majority of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back