Xonar STX over the DX?
Nov 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lh0628

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Last week I purchased an Xonar DX card along with a set of KRK RP5 G2s. I like the sound a lot. But one thing that bothers me is the lack of headphone jacks with the setup.

I've been reading up on the STX card. I'm wondering if anyone have had both cards to compare? Is the line-out a lot better than the DX? And how much better is the headphone out compared to plugging the headphone into the DX line-out directly?

I'm undecided whether I should upgrade to the STX, double what the DX costs.

Thank you.

Nov 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 10
The DX was basically a entry level card when released and the STX was a flagship card. You need to compare the specifications and see if there is something which justifies the price to you.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 10
If the flagship sounds better then the entry level?

Yes it does, but how much of the difference you would notice depends on what you have for gear. If you have a local shop go and buy the card test it out and if it is a upgrade that is worth the price to y ou, keep it. If it is not worth it to you then return it to the store. This way you can base you buying decision on your ears and testing as opposed to anothers opinions.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 10
The speakers are KRK Rokit RP5 G2s, heapdone is ATH-ES7. One local store here carries them, but I don't want to buy it from them because online I can get it for $50 cheaper. So it wouldn't feel right for me to just buy it, test it out, and return it.

Nov 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 10
The idea was to buy it because your interested and if you like it keep it. If it is not something you want return it. There is nothing wrong with that as it does not suit your needs based on testing it. It was just a suggestion though.
Maybe ask you local store if they will allow you to audition one in store, they may have a system with one installed.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 10
The KRKs probably do have the capability of revealing the difference & are very nice sounding speakers at least the ones I have heard. They are marketed to the pro & semi-pro markets and are used as nearfield monitors which makes them suitable for desktop use.

While I haven't heard the Xonar DX, I have heard the D2/PM compared to the Essense STX on my modded BX5's +Tannoy TS10 sub & there is a positive difference. Both the D2/PM & the STX are very open sounding but the STX is sustantially more so than the D2/PM. There is definately more instrument seperation on the STX as well as being able to hear softer sounds in the mix with greater clarity. Neither card sounds conjested but the STX seems to take this lack of conjestion up a couple of notches & it is very noticable to me even on my setup.

Note that the stock BX5's would not be so revealing but even they might reveal some small difference. The modded BX5's are closer to what you would probably hear with the KRK's though the KRK's would probably have better bass than either version of BX5 which is why I purchased a sub as it is a great equalizer in terms of getting the sound I wanted. The clarity of the modded BX5's with all the tight clean bass I wanted that can plumb the depths of even the largest "musical" pipe organs with the 32 foot pipes in my room

Nov 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,

Last week I purchased an Xonar DX card along with a set of KRK RP5 G2s. I like the sound a lot. But one thing that bothers me is the lack of headphone jacks with the setup.

I've been reading up on the STX card. I'm wondering if anyone have had both cards to compare? Is the line-out a lot better than the DX? And how much better is the headphone out compared to plugging the headphone into the DX line-out directly?

I'm undecided whether I should upgrade to the STX, double what the DX costs.

Thank you.

If you have a pci slot get the ST it hugely out performs the stx.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The KRKs probably do have the capability of revealing the difference & are very nice sounding speakers at least the ones I have heard. They are marketed to the pro & semi-pro markets and are used as nearfield monitors which makes them suitable for desktop use.

While I haven't heard the Xonar DX, I have heard the D2/PM compared to the Essense STX on my modded BX5's +Tannoy TS10 sub & there is a positive difference. Both the D2/PM & the STX are very open sounding but the STX is sustantially more so than the D2/PM. There is definately more instrument seperation on the STX as well as being able to hear softer sounds in the mix with greater clarity. Neither card sounds conjested but the STX seems to take this lack of conjestion up a couple of notches & it is very noticable to me even on my setup.

Note that the stock BX5's would not be so revealing but even they might reveal some small difference. The modded BX5's are closer to what you would probably hear with the KRK's though the KRK's would probably have better bass than either version of BX5 which is why I purchased a sub as it is a great equalizer in terms of getting the sound I wanted. The clarity of the modded BX5's with all the tight clean bass I wanted that can plumb the depths of even the largest "musical" pipe organs with the 32 foot pipes in my room

Hey thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the STX/ST more and more.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by macrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a pci slot get the ST it hugely out performs the stx.

Do you mean it has better sound quality? Or just that it has more functionality?

I read in your other post that you've had the Musiland as well. Does that sound on par against the stock ST or STX?

And could you explain why coaxial out is better than optical? I thought digital outs are all the same. Is there a difference between the onboard SPDIF vs the sound card one?

Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back