Xonar SPDIF output resolution
Sep 5, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
I notice that the SPDIF output on my ASUS Xonar card is 16 bit, despite the fact that my source material is 24 bit. Am I missing something here?

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Straight from ASUS website, forget to search the obvious place first?
wink.gif

S/PDIF Digital Output : 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit, Dolby Digital, DTS

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Straight from ASUS website, forget to search the obvious place first?
wink.gif

S/PDIF Digital Output : 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit, Dolby Digital, DTS

I actually did spend several hours going through the ASUS website and forums before posting here, so you will have to humour me. I still don't get it.

Sep 5, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 11
Right, but I knew that before I started this thread. Perhaps I need to re-phrase the original question then, as it seems to have been mis-interpreted.

so...

How do I enable 24 bit SPDIF output on an ASUS Xonar card? I thought the resolution would be automatic depending upon source material.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 11
It's not a player issue. If it were, the problem would be easy to solve. The resolution is inherent regardless of playback software. Even when just using the line input to monitor an analogue input source such as vinyl, it still only outputs 16 bits, and this process is completely independant of needing a software player of any sort.

If anyone here is actually using this soundcard and can get 24 bit SPDIF output, please let me know how you did it.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 11
My Sony 24 bit PCM recorder syncs to an SPDIf output. If I connect it to my X-Fi soundcard for example, I get a 96 Khz 24 bit signal. But when I connect it to the Xonar I get a 96 Khz 16 bit signal (same bit depth at other sampling rates).

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sony 24 bit PCM recorder syncs to an SPDIf output. If I connect it to my X-Fi soundcard for example, I get a 96 Khz 24 bit signal. But when I connect it to the Xonar I get a 96 Khz 16 bit signal (same bit depth at other sampling rates).

Have you tried the manual - it shows a variety of places where you can set 16/24 - especially if you are using ASIO - you can check the card with RMAA which is bundled with the card - also check you are outputting raw PCM .

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi Nick,

Yes, the manual was one of things I thoroughly checked before starting the thread. It's not difficult to set 24 bit in any number of applications that use the card, but the end result is that no matter what settings one adopts, the card is not putting out a 24 bit PCM signal via the SPDIF.

I think I am going to have to assume that this is is some sort of driver bug or limitation and I am seemingly the first person to notice it (I have not seen single reference on the net regarding anyone actually testing the resolution of the SPDIF connection).

I even formatted my hard drive last night and borrowed a Vista disc to see if it made a difference, since the latest Vista SP1 drivers state that there is 24 bit SPDIF support. But the card is still pushing out a 16 bit signal - it doesn't matter if it is Windows XP or Vista SP1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back