Xonar Essense STX difference in sound lineout compared to headphone out.
Jan 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #106 of 108

Quote:
I got HD595, so 100 ohms is plenty :)

Thanks again!

Output loss would be just under 6db due to the output impedance. Others have said that senhiesers like low output impedance. I don't have any Senhiesers to test how well they work with high output impedances. The ones I listed are the Etymotic research ER4P & Shures best sigle driver IEM. I cannot speak for other nor endorse something that I have no experience with. I have had experience with other dynamics that did not seem to care about the output impedance but others may be sensitive. I have no wish to make a blind generalization here of what will work outside of what I already listed that is known to work properly.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #107 of 108
Quote:
I got HD595, so 100 ohms is plenty :)

Thanks again!

I don't think you understand what output impedance is. It's not headphone impedance. It doesn't mean what it can or can't drive. You want output impedance to be as low as possible when driving headphones. High output impedance will alter the frequency response of your headphones, because it decreases voltage into low impedance loads (the headphones).

The HD595 in particular has very different impedance at about 90 Hz than it does elsewhere. What this means for you is you'll get a lot more voltage at 90 Hz than anywhere else. So you'll get a lot more volume, too. If we say the impedance is about 220 ohms at 90 Hz and 50 ohms elsewhere, you'll get:

20 x log((220/320)/(50/150)) = about 6.3 dB more volume in the mid-bass.

You probably don't want that. Even if you do, output impedance also reduces electrical damping which could cause driver ringing and added distortion. You'd be better off with an equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back