Xonar Essence- which headphones can it it power succesfully? Suggestions please!!
Oct 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sdhobbs

New Head-Fier
I've read soo many threads regarding this card.  Lots of conflicting info but the sense I got was that it can't power, power hungry cans very well.  So my question is what is the best headphone it will power successfully without the aid of an external amp? 

I'm looking for something under $250, open or closed doesn't matter to me as long as they are comfortable.  I listen to all kinds of modern rock, would prefer cans that have good clean bass. Suggestions please!!

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 4
I've heard it can power even the DT-880 600 ohm. It should also work fine with the HD-600.

I think I read somewhere that the AKG k701 was a bad match with it though. I'm not sure why this is exactly. It doesn't seem like it could be THAT power hungry!

Oct 29, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 4
Good to know thanks!  I would like to get the DT990 600 ohm but figured the card's amp wouldn't be strong enough.   I guess I could always get an external  amp if turns it out not to be strong enough.  I've read you can plug an external amp into the card's RCA outs.

I'm still not sure which route to go.  My motherboard has onboard sound (Realtek ALC889), with optical and coaxil SPDIF outs.  Could I go: Headphones->Amp->Dac->optical/coaxil SPDIF out
Would that be a better setup than: Headphones->Essence

Quote:
I've heard it can power even the DT-880 600 ohm. It should also work fine with the HD-600.

I think I read somewhere that the AKG k701 was a bad match with it though. I'm not sure why this is exactly. It doesn't seem like it could be THAT power hungry!

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 4
I have the xonar essence st with M-50s cans. They sound great with this card and are very comfortable. I've been very pleased with this set-up and have no complaints what-so-ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back