Xonar Essence STX vs a FiiO E09K + FiiO E17? Please help!
Feb 13, 2015 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cleanstroke

New Head-Fier
Hi, as I for one simply do not know enough about audio intricacies I am really glad I found this site, I am looking for someone to shed some light on my toss up in-depth. I'd really appreciate a fair amount of detail in replies, as I am really trying to understand all of these audiophile terms and want to know why exactly one is better than they other. -If- one is better than the other for that matter, I'm not even sure if they would both perform equally with the headphones I am looking for.

So I currently have a pair of DT 990 250 OHM headphones and I am looking for something to give them that extra umph as on-board audio does not let them perform to their full potential. So I want to know what is "better" between the Xonar Essence STX vs FiiO E09K + FiiO E17 and why? I want to know for my situation, running a pair of DT 990 250 OHM headphones whether or not there would be any practical/hearable difference between using a STX soundcard, or the FiiO E09K + FiiO E17 designated amp and digital to analog converter.

Also I heard some issue about the Xonar Essemce STX being a gimmick on a forum, saying something along the lines of it actually not being able to drive 250 OHM headphones as effectively as a designated amp and DTAC. If someone could clarify any truth to that, that'd be awesome.

Note, I will be upgrading headphones to a pair of 250 OHM Beyerdynamic T90's later this year.

Thanks, any help would be immensely appreciated!

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 5
Buy the STX is if you want virtual surround (for gaming or movies).

Buy the FiiO E09K + FiiO E17 if you need a combined portable/desktop solution.

Otherwise, consider the Schiit Modi and Schiit Magni combo for approximately the same money.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 5
Gaming and movies/virtual surround sound is null, I am solely just looking for the best stereo/music listening experience possible and want to know which of the two will give that. :)

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 5
  Hi, as I for one simply do not know enough about audio intricacies I am really glad I found this site, I am looking for someone to shed some light on my toss up in-depth. I'd really appreciate a fair amount of detail in replies, as I am really trying to understand all of these audiophile terms and want to know why exactly one is better than they other. -If- one is better than the other for that matter, I'm not even sure if they would both perform equally with the headphones I am looking for.
So I currently have a pair of DT 990 250 OHM headphones and I am looking for something to give them that extra umph as on-board audio does not let them perform to their full potential. So I want to know what is "better" between the Xonar Essence STX vs FiiO E09K + FiiO E17 and why? I want to know for my situation, running a pair of DT 990 250 OHM headphones whether or not there would be any practical/hearable difference between using a STX sound card, or the FiiO E09K + FiiO E17 designated amp and digital to analog converter.
Also I heard some issue about the Xonar Essence STX being a gimmick on a forum, saying something along the lines of it actually not being able to drive 250 OHM headphones as effectively as a designated amp and DTAC. If someone could clarify any truth to that, that'd be awesome.
Note, I will be upgrading headphones to a pair of 250 OHM Beyerdynamic T90's later this year.
Thanks, any help would be immensely appreciated!

My Essence STX could drive both my DT990 250-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm headphones.
The E09K and STX both come with the same TI 6120A2 headphone amplifier chip.
The Essence STX's PCM1792A DAC chip has better specs then the E17's WM8740 DAC chip.

Here is a used Essence STX for sale (bid auction) on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331475466160?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back