Xonar Essence STX + spdif-in workaround ?
Jun 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

curiousmurf

New Head-Fier
Some online reviews mention the Essence STX has internal spdif-in header but from looking at the spec/manual I don't see it.

If my motherboard have spdif-in can I connect an external source (eg TV, cable box...via spdif )to it and have the Essence STX process the sound instead of using the motherboard's sound? I heard the Essence STX have a pretty good DAC so I'm hoping of using the motherboard spdif-in to 'carry the signal only' so the Essence STX can do all the processing. Is this possible?

...and by extension, if the above is possible does this mean the Essence STX can also record the external sound?...or it doesn't really matter whether it's done by the Essence STX or onboard sound as the signal will still be the same?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Robscix.

What I meant in the original post was is it possible to use the motherboard's onboard sound spdif-in to only 'carry' the signal but have the STX process the sound?

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes you can; enable the onboard and aslong as they don't conflict -set windows to record from the onboard and playback through the STX. Simple as that.
You will have to set the mixer etc for the onboard but it should work fine. I have used two different card in system before and they worked perfect.
Using multiple soudncards is common in recording circles. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back