Xonar Essence STX sound needs to be set as '2 speakers' not 'headphones' to hear sound. Why?
Dec 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Echo Seven

New Head-Fier
Hi, first post today :)

I'm starting to get into my Audio more and have bought the Xonar Essence STX, and the Audio Technica ATH AD700x headphones.

I have just installed the sound card, and am connecting my headphones to the card by means of the supplied cable (red and white).

I will only get sound in the headphones if I select '2 speakers' by Analog out.  I get no sound if I select 'headphones'.  

Is this normal?

What is the best way to configure this setup?

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Connect your headphones to the headphone jack on the rear panel, not the RCA outs (red/white). Use RCA to connect to active speakers or to an amp. RCA outs are line level. Not usually awesome straight to headphones. You may need an 1/8" (3.5mm) to 1/4" (6.3mm) adapter which I think is included in the STX package else they are widely available and cheap.

If you ran the connection from the card to a front panel jack you can use this too although there is a lot of interference on my box so I never use it. Nice and quiet out the rear headphone jack.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 12
The only thing I am trying to work out is if there are other refinements I can make to it, considering I have the Audio Technica ATH AD700x headphones.

I was thinking about whether there are any settings to give a bit more bass...

I know there is a flexBass setting, but don't know what the HP Small/Large setting does.  Also, when I do this, the Hifi option I picked is turned off, so I don't know whether I am doing more harm than good..

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 12
What are you using for playback software? I'm not a big EQer but if I do I do it from within the player software (in the absence of a hardware option). In my case I use JRiver Media Center. I leave most all the settings off in the STX Audio Center if possible. I'd just experiment and see what sounds best to you.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 12
  The only thing I am trying to work out is if there are other refinements I can make to it, considering I have the Audio Technica ATH AD700x headphones.

I was thinking about whether there are any settings to give a bit more bass...

I know there is a flexBass setting, but don't know what the HP Small/Large setting does.  Also, when I do this, the Hifi option I picked is turned off, so I don't know whether I am doing more harm than good..

Nothing you can really do increase the bass of the AD700X headphones, they are just not built for making anything more then a very light bass.
You could sell off the AD700X  and buy other headphones
ATH-A900X closed headphones, with Hifiman Velour ear pads.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 12
Hey Echo. If you're embarking on CD rip adventure I would suggest you rip lossless  (FLAC/ALAC/WAV/AIFF). A program like Exact Audio Copy (free) will give you peace of mind that you're getting bit perfect transfers. There are also other program options that use the AccurateRip database for comparison that accomplish the same thing. I've just been through a serious re-ripping of CDs myself. Well worth it when you finally get to settle down and listen to the music.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 12
I have not done anything with that yet, I am just ripping it all, nicely into directories and using windows media player now and then to listen as I work.  

The final version of Winamp was released, so I am considering that (shame I never got the full version), so I am considering that or foobar (people seem impressed with that) in the other thread I started about software...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/696564/about-to-convert-500-cds-to-digital-suggestions-on-best-software-to-listen-to-music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back