Xonar Essence STX - recording issues
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

evilWind

New Head-Fier
I had been using onboard crappy audio, until I switched to a Xonar Essence STX a few weeks back. I am currently using a crappy cheap microphone which worked quite well with the onboard. Now here's the problem. There is a constant static noise when I use the mic to record anything. It was absent when I used onboard audio. So... I was wondering whether it is because the mic is too crappy for this card or is the problem with the card itself. No matter what software I use to record, it's there.

Here is a sample recording with and without mic boost (first half without and second half with mic boost): http://www.mediafire.com/?up1iav487yu6pf7

And the same recording with Ahuja AUD-98XLR mic (first half without and second half with mic boost): http://www.mediafire.com/?71ksr6xhaqm9lxa

I have been talking in the Ahuja recording, you just didn't hear it.

Now the thing is, the Ahuja, which I borrowed from a friend from their practice sessions (he formed a band last year) to see if the problem is in my mic. But to my surprise, it has VERY very low level of sound. There is no audible response even if I scream in front of it. Clapping loudly in front of the mic causes very subtle spike, which proves that the mic is indeed working with very low level of sound. But normal talking, shouting do not seem to make it respond. I made sure it is on, and my friend says the mic was in working condition.

The Ahuja comes with a 6.3mm connector, which I can connect directly to the sound card. I made sure “Front panel” is disabled in xonar control panel.

So… what’s the problem? My card? Or mic? Isn’t the Xonar designed to support a wide range of mics or just low quality ones?
If you are an owner too, do share some of your sample recordings with me so that I can compare.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post. Here is the Ahuja:

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 3
The Xonar's outputs and its line input are among the best you could find in any sound card, but its mic input is implemented with an AC'97 codec and is thus designed only for cheap PC microphones.

If you want to do recording (instead of just VoIP or chatting), especially with a high-end microphone, I'd suggest to connect some device with a 'real' microphone preamp to the Xonar's line input. (Even something extremely cheap like, e.g., the Behringer Xenyx 502 would do.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back